Off to the vet with Riggs...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » November 19th, 2011, 11:20 am

Last night he was eating his dinner, and as usual, gulped it down and vomited. It appears that something ended up in his nasal cavity and is now stuck there. He's having a lot of trouble breathing, and he keeps sneezing like his head is going to come off.

He let me irrigate his nasal passages last night (which was quite funny actually) but it didn't help much.

My guess is that they will sedate him and scope his nose... lovely...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Ino » November 19th, 2011, 11:55 am

Hope all goes well at the vet. Best wishes for Riggs!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ArtGypsy » November 19th, 2011, 1:23 pm

:o :o
POOR Riggsy!!

Sending Warm thoughts and good wishes for you both...

Let us know the 'outcome'..(ahem . no pun intended)....when you can!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby DemoDick » November 19th, 2011, 1:43 pm

We're heading home now. No scope. The vet, who incidentally is a big believer in one way communication, thinks that he probably inflamed his nasal membranes by vomiting through his nose. He thinks the odds are extremely low that anything solid made it up there. We have some antibiotics and will feed bland for a few days to give things a rest. I'm still pretty sure there's a bone fragment in there.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby ArtGypsy » November 19th, 2011, 5:04 pm

DemoDick wrote:We're heading home now. No scope. The vet, who incidentally is a big believer in one way communication, thinks that he probably inflamed his nasal membranes by vomiting through his nose. He thinks the odds are extremely low that anything solid made it up there. We have some antibiotics and will feed bland for a few days to give things a rest. I'm still pretty sure there's a bone fragment in there.

Demo Dick

:? :? Why Wouldn't the Dr. Look?? Was he just that certain??

Poor Riggsy...I remembered ONE TIME I laughed BEER out my nose.
Miserable....Couldn't Breathe through my nose for two days... :rolleyes2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 19th, 2011, 11:42 pm

I assume this wasn't your normal vet? That sucks the doc didn't put a lot of effort in. How's Riggs doing this evening?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » November 20th, 2011, 1:09 am

To scope his nose he would have had to be heavily sedated or under. But the Dr wasn't listening to a thing we said. He kept bringing up those food bowls with the things in them to slow down the dog's eating. And could not get past the idea of him having a blockage, or other stomach or intestinal upset.

Then he said that Riggs needed to put on five pounds and mentioned having him checked for worms. He's 46 now, and could use a pound, maybe two but five? No, not hardly.

If Riggs is still sneezing like his head is coming off on Monday then we're going to make an appointment with our usual vet. I'm also going to irrigate his nose tomorrow with saline again and see if that helps at all.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby fenella » November 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am

Any updates? Happy nose thoughts for Riggs!
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » November 23rd, 2011, 1:24 am

He's okay. Doing fine so far.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby TheRedQueen » November 23rd, 2011, 8:52 am

DemoDick wrote:He's okay. Doing fine so far.

Demo Dick

:clap:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SisMorphine » November 23rd, 2011, 12:08 pm

He highly doubts anything solid made it up there? I get food up my nose all the time (and I swear I don't stick it there!). That's one of the reasons I try not to eat chives . . . those always end up stuck up my nose and those things KILL!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health