Tail Scabs (Among other things...)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Tubular Toby » October 16th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Toby has a few bare-ish spots on his tail. In these pictures I am pulling the hair aside so you can see the scabs, but they aren't completely bare. He seems to try to chew on his tail a lot so I'm not sure if that's a result of the spots or if the spots are a result of him chewing on his tail. I'm thinking about taking him to a vet to get it checked out. I've also considered maybe his anal glands bothering him as he rubs often. He's also been carrying his tail a little droopy and away from his body, almost like what you'd see in "cold tail", but he doesn't act like his tail is particularly sore or anything. He still wags it like a crazy banshee.

Photos!
I'll admit, it's hard to see, but you can sort of see the scabs in that one. Taking these photos was NO easy task. Haha

"This better not end up on the interwebz."

And here is his particularly spotty belly today:

It's almost bare. Which isn't that unusual for him, but he also has a lot of redness today. He eats Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice.

ETA: Here is also a photo of the growth on his eyelid. I was quoted about $300-400 to have it removed and sent off, just haven't been able to do it yet. I'll probably take him to get another opinion first anyway.

-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby plebayo » October 16th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Is he current on flea control? Could be a skin infection due to fleas, if he's sensitive one bite could send him itching. I'll admit it.. Lilo got fleas recently and I had no idea, I just bathed her and saw no signs but combed her out Friday and found flea dirt - ew!

Could also be allergies due to the season changing... You could always try giving benedryl (1mg/lb) to see if it improves anything. If his tummy doesn't improve he might need some antibiotics to clear it up.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Tubular Toby » October 16th, 2011, 7:00 pm

He's on advantix, I usually go with the super cleaning route and attacking my carpet and not my dog, but he got his first round September 15th because I just couldn't get rid of them. He hasn't had any since, and he didn't have any reactions to the treatment. These scabs look quite old, but they also don't appear to be going away. Luckily, fleas are easy to see on him with his short/light coat and the fact that he's been sleeping with me... haha

His brother did have HORRIBLE allergies when my mom brought him to Oklahoma, so bad that she gave him to one of her friends in Arizona. So maybe it is a seasonal thing. I'll try the benedryl, thanks!
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » October 17th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Fleas have been worse this year than in twenty years....it's awful.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Return to Nutrition & Health