Raw Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » June 2nd, 2006, 1:01 pm

I read the "How Skinny is Too Skinny" post which made me feel a little better about how skinny Knuckles has gotten since on the Raw. But I have found he seems to be really hungry all the time. Since he is only 11 months old how much more should I be feeding him. We have been on Raw for 4 1/2 weeks.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 2nd, 2006, 1:13 pm

Inara is 7 months, and I generally toss her one to two chicken quarters a day, plus some organ meat or an egg. That horse would eat 24/7 if we let her though - one day I gave her a 3 1/2 lb pot roast (raw - it'd gone funky in the fridge :eekHair: ) and she wolfed it down and looked for more. Oinker. She's definitely not a self-regulating pup. I'd think that at 11 months old if you're feeding the recommended 2-3% of adult body weight, and he is in good condition, then you're fine. But then again, I've only been doing raw about a month and a half, so who knows? :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby luvmyangels » June 2nd, 2006, 1:40 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Inara is 7 months, and I generally toss her one to two chicken quarters a day, plus some organ meat or an egg. That horse would eat 24/7 if we let her though - one day I gave her a 3 1/2 lb pot roast (raw - it'd gone funky in the fridge :eekHair: ) and she wolfed it down and looked for more. Oinker. She's definitely not a self-regulating pup. I'd think that at 11 months old if you're feeding the recommended 2-3% of adult body weight, and he is in good condition, then you're fine. But then again, I've only been doing raw about a month and a half, so who knows? :wink:

I will have to take a picture of him and post it on the site to get feedback. I give him a nice sized thigh with the leg attached in the morning and a mix at night. Both equalling out to at least 1.5 pounds if not more which is 3% of his bodyweight. I am going to weigh him again to make sure where he is at.

We started Raw not too far apart since I have been feeding it for 4 weeks and 3 days.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 2nd, 2006, 4:03 pm

That sounds about right but if you feel he is losing too much weight you could give him a little more. Most dogs get lean on raw because they are using eveything they eat, instead of it being stored as fat or deposited in the back yard. Justice is very active & I give her about 1/2 pound a day more than Munkee, she stays skinny no matter how much she eats
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 2nd, 2006, 4:13 pm

Ok don't think I am nuts but because I was concerned I decided to do a split of Raw and Kibble. I ordered Timberwolf (I got a sale with 22% off @ Petfood Direct). It has been a little overwhelming too. Trying to find all the stuff then preparing it all the while trying to take care of 2 kids and making sure to keep up with the needs of the three dogs. Plus being overwhelmed at work. I am obviously having a bad week. I think it is PMS. So please excuse me.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 2nd, 2006, 4:14 pm

I don't think you are nuts at all! Do what you are comfortable doing.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 2nd, 2006, 4:23 pm

I am not giving up though. I know Raw is the best for the dogs. Actually my older dog Teddy was really screwed up by a groomer 5 years ago. He kind of looks like a Chow although does not have a spec of blue on his tongue. He had a beautiful coat. This idiot groomer cut him down and he looked like a lion (Teddy had a major complex after being cut down since everyone laughed at him) then they flea dipped him and burned him. His coat and skin have never been the same. Since being on Raw his tail after 5 years is finally growing back. It has gotten much bushier. Prior to it was just fuzzy.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Here are pics of Knuckles. I don't really think he looks too thin at all looking at the pics. Give me your thoughts.

I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 12:20 pm

I do not think he looks too thin at all. He looks just fine to me from the picts any way.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Due to my husband bringing in a short video off of his phone of Knuckles to show my groomer/trainer who then said he looked really thin which in turn made me concerned. After seeing the video my groomer/trainer said she wanted to talk to me about the Raw diet. So I am not sure what she is going to say to me. Although she is completely into the best kibble that is out there. That is all she sells.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 12:40 pm

luvmyangels wrote:Due to my husband bringing in a short video off of his phone of Knuckles to show my groomer/trainer who then said he looked really thin which in turn made me concerned. After seeing the video my groomer/trainer said she wanted to talk to me about the Raw diet. So I am not sure what she is going to say to me. Although she is completely into the best kibble that is out there. That is all she sells.
The problem being most people don't know what an in shape dog looks like because they're used to seeing overweight ones. :|

What I see on Knuckles is he lacks muscle tone at this point, but he is young and developing and also IMO with brindle dogs it is harder to see the defiition. Many dogs in the UKC and AKC show rings are FAT IMO

If you aren't comfortable w/ how he looks just up the food a little. You can also try pre-packaged Raw if you are having time concerns or think he may not be getting everything he needs

Remember some are also totally against RAW feeding

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:What I see on Knuckles is he lacks muscle tone at this point, but he is young and developing and also IMO with brindle dogs it is harder to see the defiition. Many dogs in the UKC and AKC show rings are FAT IMO

If you aren't comfortable w/ how he looks just up the food a little. You can also try pre-packaged Raw if you are having time concerns or think he may not be getting everything he needs

Although it is hard to see in the pic he has some nice definition in his back legs and in his chest. I find it is also hard to see much on him with the brindle coat.

I had picked up some prepackaged Raw about a week or so ago.

Thank you for your response.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 4th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
luvmyangels wrote:Due to my husband bringing in a short video off of his phone of Knuckles to show my groomer/trainer who then said he looked really thin which in turn made me concerned. After seeing the video my groomer/trainer said she wanted to talk to me about the Raw diet. So I am not sure what she is going to say to me. Although she is completely into the best kibble that is out there. That is all she sells.
The problem being most people don't know what an in shape dog looks like because they're used to seeing overweight ones. :|

What I see on Knuckles is he lacks muscle tone at this point, but he is young and developing and also IMO with brindle dogs it is harder to see the defiition. Many dogs in the UKC and AKC show rings are FAT IMO

tIf you aren't comfortable w/ how he looks just up the food a little. You can also try pre-packaged Raw if you are having time concerns or think he may not be getting everything he needs

I agree!! Some people are not happy unless a dog is rolling in fat and it is possible your groomer is one of them. You dog looks fine, you can up his food a bit if you are uncomfortable but don't let his acting hungry sway you. Mine will eat all day long if I let them. :wink: And don't let her sway you from feeding RAW unless YOU are uncomfortable feeding it. I don't always trust dog food sellers to have my dogs best interest at heart.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 1:35 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I agree!! Some people are not happy unless a dog is rolling in fat and it is possible your groomer is one of them. You dog looks fine, you can up his food a bit if you are uncomfortable but don't let his acting hungry sway you. Mine will eat all day long if I let them. :wink: And don't let her sway you from feeding RAW unless YOU are uncomfortable feeding it. I don't always trust dog food sellers to have my dogs best interest at heart.

Thank you. I have to say I see a big difference in their coats since I have moved them to the Raw so I won't be swayed by anyone.

I have a question, I am looking at Pork and wondering if I should get Pork Shoulder? It is going for .79 a pound. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » June 4th, 2006, 1:35 pm

I want to see more picts of Knuckles :)
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on June 4th, 2006, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » June 4th, 2006, 1:40 pm

I have about 10 pounds of pork shoulder sliced up in my freezer for them. I have never had any problems at all and I don't always freeze it before I feed it. I bought one for myself too & cooked it the other night. :wink: See? They Do eat what I eat.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 1:44 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I have about 10 pounds of pork shoulder sliced up in my freezer for them. I have never had any problems at all and I don't always freeze it before I feed it. I bought one for myself too & cooked it the other night. :wink: See? They Do eat what I eat.

lol Thank you for responding so quick since I am going to jump a shower and go get some. How much do you get it for by you?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 4:31 pm

I just came back from an interesting meat market. I got 16 lbs of pork shoulder for .79 lb which they cut up into steaks with a bone sliced in it. I gave it to the dogs and at the end they were gnawing on the bone. I am a little concerned though because I walked in the house for a few minutes and came out to Knuckles bone being gone. I touched his throat thinking maybe he got it stuck in there and he seems to be ok. I guess I will find out later.

I also picked up huge turkey legs for them. They look like you can beat someone with them. The guy asked me if I wanted to cut them up and I said "no" because I figure that one leg would be a meal for the day. 6 of them weighed 11 lbs. I also picked up 12 lbs of chicken. Between the chicken, pork and turkey it cost $30. I thought that was pretty good for all that meat.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » June 4th, 2006, 4:35 pm

That IS a good deal!! I buy those huge club looking legs too! And wings that have a LOT of meat on them. Last pork shoulder I bought was .88 a pound, but it is usually between 1.50 & 2.00 so when they have it on sale I try to stock up.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » June 4th, 2006, 4:38 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:That IS a good deal!! I buy those huge club looking legs too! And wings that have a LOT of meat on them. Last pork shoulder I bought was .88 a pound, but it is usually between 1.50 & 2.00 so when they have it on sale I try to stock up.

What about the bone? Should I be worried? I know I am going to regret just giving the pork to them without trying to transition them with some chicken but I gave them acidophilus to hopefully help their stomachs.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health