Reasons to make an IMMEDIATE trip to the vet

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » April 30th, 2011, 8:44 pm

None of us want to be "that owner" who brings their dog to the vet for every little thing (I was so bad when I first got Ruby that the vet told me that I could stop bringing her in all the time :oops: )

However, there are issues that warrant an immediate trip to the vet, or e-vet if it's "off hours"

Malli wrote:Things I can think of off the top of my head that IMO should be seen immediately
-obvious deformity or damage to the eye (anything from pussy green or yellow discharge to visible scratches and more)
-large amounts of blood in stool
-profuse vomiting and diarrhea
-increased or decreased urination, or the same for water intake
-trying to vomit or wretch/gag and not producing or producing very little
-inability to stand
-multiple seizures
-cold temp to touch, or pale or blue-ing gums or mucus membranes
-overdose of medication

I also know that Ruby and Connor both lost their balance and fell off of furniture when they were very sick - Ruby from pyometra and Connor had an obstruction. Severe disorientation, loss of balance, "shakiness" can be signs of a serious problem.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » April 30th, 2011, 9:32 pm

I'd add signs of heatstroke...since we're coming up on hot weather. The inability to stand made me think of this, as I have crazy herders that will run themselves into the ground. Rip used to run around until he'd literally fall over. I'm sure there's a list around for these signs...but I always look for glazed over eyes; thick swollen tongue; excessive panting; inability to stand.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » May 1st, 2011, 2:40 am

yep, pretty much both what Erin and Michelle said :)
I just said that because it covers a lot of causes and often in my experience with owners (though not anyone on pbt) people tend not to piece together causes and the environment, you'd be surprised! Maybe we should amend that to "difficulty maintaining balance, weakness, or difficulty standing"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 1st, 2011, 6:12 am

Here is mine: BLOAT.

Awhile back I had the bloat scare with Darlene. When I called my Vet and told him I was coming in, NOW, he said to go to the Emergency Vet, 5 minutes from me, instead of his office, 10 minutes from me. He said there was no time to waste.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 1st, 2011, 12:46 pm

yes, bloat falls into the "-trying to vomit or wretch/gag and not producing or producing very little" + pale gums category :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » May 1st, 2011, 2:11 pm

Malli wrote:yes, bloat falls into the "-trying to vomit or wretch/gag and not producing or producing very little" + pale gums category :)

I would add repeated attempts to 'stretch' and pacing, distended abdomen.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby iluvk9 » May 1st, 2011, 2:39 pm

All I saw was a BIG FAT EXTENDED STOMACH. Yes, it turned out to be very expensive gas...:giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 2nd, 2011, 12:02 am

but oh! the gas! I bet it hurt! poor darline!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » May 2nd, 2011, 7:26 am

I am not sure what this falls under, but mutliple bee stings. I was very lucky with Kinzyl. When we got her to the vet she had over 100 stingers still in her :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » May 2nd, 2011, 12:50 pm

anaphylaxis
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » May 2nd, 2011, 8:59 pm

Malli wrote:anaphylaxis

:doh: Well I knew what it was called Malli. :wink: lol I was just wondering if that would qualify in this sticky.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » May 3rd, 2011, 3:19 am

I thought it was odd with all your schooling that you didn't! :doh:

yes that would qualify.

I guess what I was originally going for with the list was more a set of symptoms, singly, or combined, that someone could use at face value, without knowing the cause. There are a lot of people out there who will only be able to note certain more obvious issues.

Say someone didn't know about bloat or torsion, or that dogs get allergic reactions? But, noticed their dog had pale gums, was wretching and trying to vomit, and seemed weak and had trouble standing; or that after their dog was stung, their gum color became pale and their breathing pattern changed. This was along my lines of thinking.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » May 3rd, 2011, 7:23 pm

Neorulogical signs:

Nistagmus (eyes going from side to side quickly), if the pupils are non-reactive to light - either very dilated or very constricted, and not changing if exposed to a bright light source/darkness.

No reflexes at pinching hard between the toes, concurrent with being unable to walk/limping from one leg (that one can also be from a stroke). Lack of balance/unable to walk straight/seemingly disoriented.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » May 23rd, 2011, 10:39 am

Not eating or drinking for days at a time.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby fenella » November 3rd, 2011, 7:58 pm

I wanted to add when you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic.
You should at least CALL the emergency vet to see if you should induce vomiting or not (see http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85) :puke:
The ASPCA also runs a poison control hotline at (888) 426-4435, for a $65 credit card charge.

Keep in mind that all of the things on this list are of the do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect-$200 type. You can post to the board later to tell us the outcome, but please do not wait for a response on this board (or any board) before calling the vet. We're all happy to help if we can, but these are generally ACT NOW situations.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health