lumps near nipples

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby HappyPuppy » March 28th, 2011, 9:48 pm

I feel premature in mentioning this because it could be nothing, but I'm making Ruby a vet appt ASAP for 2 bumps I've just noticed on 2 nipples on the same side - but they skip a nipple. I saw one 2 days ago and then the other this morning (tho I don't know if it wasn't there yesterday) and I'm starting to freak out a little bit... I haven't looked up yet how fast they grow but I believe many mammary tumors are benign but some are definitely cancerous, so that's kinda scary - especially since there are two!! All of these bad bumps lately is really heavy and I'm trying not to be a hyperchondriac but two is starting to be a pattern, dangit. Hopefully we can get in within a day or two - I tried to call too late today.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 28th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Good thoughts for you both!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » March 28th, 2011, 10:17 pm

What do they feel like?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby HappyPuppy » March 28th, 2011, 11:10 pm

One is like a small pea under the skin - I saw it when she stretched and sort of arched on her back and it bulged a little bit. The other one feels like a nipple if you are not looking but - I have to reinspect, I think the nipple is dark (she has dark pigment) and the bump is pink skin color.

There is also a new thing at the base of her spay scar that I guessed was a stitch that didn't dissolve but her spay was more than 4 years ago... That feels sort of sharp under the skin like it wants to come out. This I noticed maybe 2 months ago by petting her and feeling it.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » March 28th, 2011, 11:14 pm

The stitch under the skin is pretty normal, it depends on the suture they use, one of my friend's dogs has several stitches under the skin that you can feel, it's weird.

Not to freak you out but typically mammary cancer tumors feel like 'peas' we always describe them that way to owners. Hopefully however it is just some kind of a cyst, or a simple benign tumor that can be removed. Sending tons and tons and tons of good thoughts!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » March 29th, 2011, 2:42 am

good thoughts indeed.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » March 29th, 2011, 5:57 am

Good thought for Ruby! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 29th, 2011, 7:03 am

Tons of good healthy thoughts for Ruby, and good CALM thoughts for you!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » March 29th, 2011, 7:07 am

Lots of :goodthoughts: on the way for Ruby.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » March 29th, 2011, 11:36 am

Thank you, guys. We have an appt for Wed at 9am. I think time is making me more nervous about this...

I'd be very curious to see the percentages of long haired vs short haired dogs that come up with growths like this but are caught (too) late since they cannot be easily seen or felt. One of these I felt with my hand, the other one I saw.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Tubular Toby » March 29th, 2011, 12:26 pm

:goodthoughts: your way
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » March 30th, 2011, 12:39 pm

So - Ruby is in right now to have them removed. They are small enought that the vet just plans to get Ruby 'high' and use a local. Interestingly, she was more concerned about the hard nipple-like one vs the 'pea'. She praised me for even noticing them as small as they were (to her) - they were plenty noticeable to me... She did say, tho that the upper 2 mammary glands are on one 'system' and the lower 3 are on another system - so the fact that Ruby's bumps skipped a nipple was encouraging in that the bumps are probably not 'moving down the chain'... Dunno why I'm so nervous right now since it's the pathology that will say something whenever it comes back in.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 30th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Still sending you both tons of good thoughts!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby HappyPuppy » March 30th, 2011, 2:13 pm

HORRAY!!!! :woowoo:

OK just got back. Vet said it was totally wierd and RANDOM that the 2 bumps ended up where they did next to 2 nipples. She is not even going to send them out for pathology because one was an obvious fatty tumor (nipple removed tho in the course of removing that one) and the other was a sebaceous growth - both benign. Woo freaking hoo!!!!

And the apparent suture on her spay scar was just that - a metal suture that had moved around in the past few months. That's gone, too.

All of your support was felt and applied!! And here's a BIG shout out to Paco collars - I put Ruby's prettiest, 'ruby' collar on today for good luck and the vet said it worked!!! Thank you for your contribution to our GOOD results today!!!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby amalie79 » March 30th, 2011, 2:32 pm

Yay!!! Simon had sebaceous cysts and fatty tumors; River has a little fatty tumor now, too. I was going to say that's what they might be, but I was afraid I'd jinx it for you, so I kept my trap shut!

Yay for good news!!!!
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » March 30th, 2011, 3:19 pm

YAY I'm so happy that it's GOOD news!!!!!!!!!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » March 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Hooray for great updates :) :dance:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 30th, 2011, 3:58 pm

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyPuppy » March 30th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Thank you so much, guys - I apologize for the unnecessary pre-worry. I just knew it was going to be bad and I'm so relieved....

Ruby is still pretty stoned - like staring into space kind of stoned. Kinda fun to have a sleepyhead for a few hours - definitely not her usual self.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 30th, 2011, 8:32 pm

:clap: I am so happy to read this! And never apologize for asking for support in advance. We have all done it. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health