Poor Twila!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 11:26 am

Yikes! I had her spayed yesterday and she's STILL mopey today! I take back ALL my words about a dog getting up and running around (normally they do around here!) the day after a spay!
She's actually got me a bit worried! Does this pass? For those who had mopey dogs after a spay, did they get back to normal TWO days after the spay?
She turned up her nose at food too. Very subdued today...probably threw her for a loop, she was so happy here then we haul her off and have her cut open!
This photo was taken last night when she got home...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 26th, 2006, 11:50 am

I just did Tess last week, and that is what she looked like that night. She was mopey the first evening, refused her dinner, ate the next morning but was still pretty mopey the rest of the day. The following day she was starting to get back to normal.

Is your girl drinking water?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 26th, 2006, 11:53 am

Some dogs take longer to "snap out" of the anesthesia than others -- it took Katy two days to come around after her last surgery, but she was fine then.

You may want to call the vet, find out what type of anesthesia was used, and let them know how she's reacting. Next time (knock on wood there isn't one) they can use a different anesthesia.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » May 26th, 2006, 11:54 am

Did they give you pain meds for her? Is she taking them? If she's really sore and uncomfortable, she may be mopey.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 12:09 pm

No pain meds. She did get up a bit ago and go help Lambie torture the cat before retiring to her spot on the floor again. I guess it could be the anesthetic. She's not sick, just kinda "wiped" it seems.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 26th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Well, she just had her uterus cut out of her. I would be wiped too!

Give her lots of love, and enjoy the cuddly, calm dog you have now before she gets her energy back!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 12:32 pm

LOL for sure. The kids are cuddling with her now :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » May 26th, 2006, 1:17 pm

keep her warm, it helped Ruby bounce back faster after her teeth were cleaned.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 1:29 pm

That's a good idea. I'll give her a cuddle blanket...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 26th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Awwww, poor Twila!

Is she mopey and tired like the anesthesia didn't wear off yet?

Or is she laying around because she is in pain? Some dogs have more pain problems than others after a spay and if she doesn't improve she may need pain meds. The blanket will not only keep her warm but also be softer on the incision.

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 3:31 pm

She just acts like her incision is more painful than for instance Lambie's was after her spay. She is a tad more perky now but certainly not going to run around. She's actually nice and quiet, just went out potty and came back in and is chilling next to Copper's pen. She doesn't act "in pain" as much as contemplative. Like "WTF happened to me!?"
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 26th, 2006, 3:34 pm

I would be wondering if she needs pain meds at all. Personally I'd give the vet a call and check to see what they think. Though it is true that it can take some dogs a while to be back to normal after anesthesia (takes Wally a good 48 hours each time) I tend to err on the side of "painful" when it comes to younger dogs after a spay if they're still down two days later.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2006, 3:43 pm

I'd say she just acts more "aware" of it than the other females I've had fixed.
As a "for instance" our older GSD Hunter came home from the vet and could barely walk, or acted like it, the morning after his neuter. But if he needed to or wanted to he could run. The girls we've had done were moving around really well the next day, as if nothing happened.
Twila has interest in everything and the other animals but is walking a tad more gingerly and is a bit more quiet than before the surgery. Just now she went and found a tennis ball for herself. :| She's just moving a bit slower than prior to the spay. Oh, and it was just yesterday she had the surgery.
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health