Euthanasia Gone Wrong

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby PetieMarie22 » April 5th, 2011, 1:53 pm

I would not have known either. I am so sorry to hear it went like that. But thank you and I will remember.
Kathleen (and George)
Petie Marie - spoiled rotten Pit Bull Terrier
Sunshine Honeysuckle Smith - DSH cat that lives under the couch
Sasha Marie - Bombay Mix = DIVA
PetieMarie22
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Emi » April 5th, 2011, 3:36 pm

I'm so sorry you guys you had to go throw this, thank you for sharing such a hard thing with us all. I just don't know what to say, I know words can't take it back. But I know she's resting well now.
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » April 5th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Thanking everyone for the kind thoughts.
In 'Spirit' Trouble's memory I have registered a domain http://k9euthanasia.com/ and will be designing an informational site/forum.
Hopefully this can be her legacy.

Thanks again,
Bob
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » April 5th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I am sorry that things went this way for y'all and Trouble. A similar episode happened to a friend of mine with the her female AB when it was time to let her go. She too, did not know about the benefits of using a sedative prior to the injection of the euthanasia solution.

The vet that I worked for, we always gave an intramuscular sedative and then gave the pet a few minutes with their owners as they fell into the effect of the drug. At that point we gave the euthanasia injection, if the veins were terrible we didn't place catheters, instead we gave an intracardiac injection of the lethal solution. The agonal breaths were the worst part for many of the owners because they really thought for a second that their pet was coming back. But all in all, it was a peaceful and quiet way to go.

I am terribly terribly sorry that you had to go through this. ((hugs))
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » April 6th, 2011, 10:40 pm

The vet that I worked for, we always gave an intramuscular sedative and then gave the pet a few minutes with their owners as they fell into the effect of the drug. At that point we gave the euthanasia injection, if the veins were terrible we didn't place catheters, instead we gave an intracardiac injection of the lethal solution. The agonal breaths were the worst part for many of the owners because they really thought for a second that their pet was coming back. But all in all, it was a peaceful and quiet way to go.

That is our typical process at the shelter. I desire for every dog to go peacefully, quietly and humanely, whether there is an owner or if we are their final guardians.
airwalk
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health