SOB we have an aural hematoma

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » February 24th, 2011, 9:43 am

THAT POOR DOG!!! He looks so unhappy. :( I hope you are able to get through the snow soon.

PS...Nice job on the Vet Wrap, from the Queen of Vet Wrap. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » February 24th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I called 1st thing this am to ask my vet if they had any openings, but called back shortly to say they'd had a cancellation. We have an appt. at 11 am, so in roughly 1 hr. So within a few hrs I'll have an update.
The rds are much better today so shouldn't be so trecherous.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » February 24th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Continued :goodthoughts: :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 24th, 2011, 3:58 pm

:dance: Waiting patiently.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » February 24th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Vet decided to aspirate it, which he didn't tell me but I've learned has some risk for infection. Removed probably 20 mls of bloody fluid. Then he was still shaking his head. We decided to look in his ear and voila, speargrass! Vet was able to use a tool to pluck it out.
No ear infections :)

He is taking an increased dose of Prednisone for a few days, and even though I wasn't told I'll be monitoring him for any potential infection.

Ask me how my dog got speargrass in his ear in the middle of winter. Or, how he wasn't even really bothering at it at all! :rolleyes2: We always take the cake for this kind of thing.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 24th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Explain the speargrass situation, please. :) How? What? You know the routine....
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » February 24th, 2011, 6:43 pm

What Joyce said. I have never heard of it.

So did the vet do just as good a job of wrapping his head up as you :wink:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » February 24th, 2011, 9:34 pm

I never knew people were so unaware about the grass! But I guess before I worked the ER Vet I didn't really know, either. For further info : http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 1&aid=2964
He's actually had it in his foot before, when he was much younger, as well.

he doesn't have to have his head wrapped now :) Though I am considering it anyway because he is still shaking....

I have him on Benedryl so he sleeps instead of shakes his head. Poor sleepy boy with the sore ear. Ah well, no more cone or bandage! Free to chow down on snow.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 25th, 2011, 7:46 am

Never realized the problems grass could cause! All we get here sometimes are "thistles" which stick to dog fur and people's clothes.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » February 26th, 2011, 1:48 am

it came back :neutral:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 26th, 2011, 7:03 am

So now what? :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » February 26th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Malli wrote:it came back :neutral:

Bugger!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby hugapitbull » February 26th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Malli wrote:it came back :neutral:

That is why they insisted on doing the surgery on Trouble. Her vet believes it is less like to come back if it is surgically opened and stitched.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » February 26th, 2011, 2:07 pm

well, it actually WON't come back if it's stitched. But it also requires putting your dog under anesthetic and a fair bit of money.

I don't know what . Called our Vet but it was late and reception couldn't get ahold of him (he's out of the office on fridays). She was going to leave the chart for another dr. locuming for him on monday, but I'm not particularly excited him seeing someone else...
I guess I'll have to see what the locum says... :| Which means the whole weeked :neutral:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amalie79 » February 26th, 2011, 2:11 pm

I think speargrass is what we call foxtails...?

Sucks you have to wait. I HATE waiting, especially when it comes to the animals.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » February 26th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Poor Os...

Did they inject any sort of corticosteroid (triamcinolone) after they lanced it? Usually that helps quite a bit.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby hugapitbull » February 26th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Wishing him (and you) the best. It is terribly frustrating. A fair amount of the cost for Trouble's was the drugs. I had her Rimadyl refilled and got otomax for her ears, so that was a third of our cost. I think the surgery was in the $200 range.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » February 27th, 2011, 4:50 am

yes I think speargrass = foxtails
I don't have to wait, but it isn't really an emergency, and the ER hospital has many more charges for nursing and care involved, and I also have a relationship with my vet... But then again *thinking*, it is a locum...
I remembered pet insurance and called and it should cover, but theres still the stupid deductible. rrrg.

No steroid injection, I doubt we could have held him still for it :( I could tell it hurt like an SOB to have it poked. He doesn't usually balk from being poked it that way. If/when we talk to the vet's office I'm going to ask if I can put Emla on it if the vet wants to poke it again. He is a VERY agreeable patient but I'm not sure how much more of this he'll put up with before out and out flailing - panic ensues and I'd like to keep the Vet the happy place it has always been for him, not to mention the ouchy part :(

Unfortunately I doubt we'll have nearly that reasonable of a price - a Vet acquaintance of mine that works at the animal ER/Hospital I used to work at figured $800, maybe cheaper elsewhere but not the same quality of care either(and not THAT much cheaper). It IS frustrating, it part because it seems kind of "optional", its highly uncomfortable and will make a yucky ear but it isn't life threatening, and yet, I really want to get rid of it and it bothers me.

rrrg.

On the plus side, he seems to have stopped head shaking what little extra he was before, and its just at the normal times now, so maybe if we retried the aspiration it would actually work....

I should mention again that the size it is now is quite minor, maybe 1/3 of the Pinna, as apposed to some dogs who have a balloon for an ear, though the thought has crossed my mind that it my get that big eventually.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 27th, 2011, 7:33 am

Geez, Mallika, I had to google half your words...and now I know what "locum" and "pinna" mean. :giggle:

Maybe less head shaking will help it become less infected? :sad2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » February 27th, 2011, 10:10 am

Sending more good thoughts to Oscar and this is for you. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health