Rawide

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby rockermom » May 25th, 2006, 10:39 am

Im sure this is a repeat topic however I need to ask. Grandma brought Rocky a Big Rawide bone. I dont buy rawides since I had been told of stories of dogs getting blockage. Is the reason most people here dont like rawhide is more because it is fatty. I felt bad and gave him the bone. But only let him have it for about 10min then I take it away for another day. I let him have it like once a week. And I am keeping a close eye on him. Do you all think this is ok or should I throw the thing away?
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2006, 10:45 am

ditch it. There is no redeeming quality that I know of of rawhide. Many dogs have problems with it, many don't, but why bother when there are much better things you can give him to chew?

I'm with you on giving it to him while grandma was there though. My friend Caroline brought Ruby a rawhide once. Ruby devowered it and then puked it back up on Carolines lap. that was the last present che brought Ruby

lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby cheekymunkee » May 25th, 2006, 10:48 am

Munkee has choked on rawhide, some dogs have died due to choking & impaction. I'd toss it myself. Give him a meaty bone instead, he'll have more fun with it & clean his teeth too. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
User avatar
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass
 
Posts: 28540
Location: Dallas

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 10:52 am

Every once in a while I hear of a dog that will just chew on a rawhide and is able to come & go from it . . . however, most of the pitbulls I have seen, including my own, feel a need to scarf it down, and yes, either puke it back up or end up blocked and queasy for a couple of days.

The other problem with rawhide is alot of dogs get very possessive with it towards other dogs and sometimes people. My female use to get very weird when strangers went near her kennel---not aggressive, just 'weird.' Come to find out she had her left-over rawhide scraps buried. :evil:

Bottom line---not worth it. Maybe try Nylabones or even those edible Nylabones if you haven't already.

:)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby rockermom » May 25th, 2006, 11:02 am

Thanks, I do give him regular Nyla bones. He needs a new one since he has eaten some knawing it pretty bad. I have not tried the edible Nyla bones yet. Are they safer than rawhide? ANd how long do they usually take to chew one of the edibles up?
Cheeky-What is a meaty bone?
I understand the being protective which is why I usually give him something like that when it is just he and I at home. ANd I have been working that by going over and saying can I see your bone. He kind of does look funny almost like if he had something he is not suppose to have. but then I offer him something else and take the bone away. He would scarf it down which is why I only had given it to him for a short period.
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby cheekymunkee » May 25th, 2006, 11:04 am

A meaty bone can be gotten from your butcher or from the meat section in your grocery. It is just a big raw ( usually leg bone or a shoulder bone) strong bone that he can chew on.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
User avatar
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass
 
Posts: 28540
Location: Dallas

Postby Maryellen » May 25th, 2006, 11:05 am

no rawhide, cow hooves or pigs ears.. nothing like that. a raw meaty bone is a raw bone that you get at the supermarket or butchers,- a marrow bone..

2 of my dogs had intestinal infections when the rawhide they ate didnt digest properly and got stuck in their intestines...$1500 later i tossed out every rawhide around.... no edible nylabones either...
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2006, 11:07 am

Meaty bones are soup bonees or knuckle bones with meat scraps, snew and otherchunks still attached. My dogs can completely finish a veal bone in a few hours. They take a lot longer with cow bones.

You can find them in the meat department or from a butcher. In our 'ghetto' area of the city there is a fantastic meat market that will save me the leg bones of the beef sides that they get in. They even cut them to manageable lengths for me. Be aware that large amounts of marrow can cause your dog to have chalky poop they they may be unable to control, so keep an eye on them until you know who fast they are able to eat the bone.

I would not give the edible nylabones, Pit Bulls are powerful enough to break of chunks and the bones are not meant to be swallowed in chunks.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 11:08 am

houlabulla? wrote:Thanks, I do give him regular Nyla bones. He needs a new one since he has eaten some knawing it pretty bad. I have not tried the edible Nyla bones yet. Are they safer than rawhide? ANd how long do they usually take to chew one of the edibles up?
Cheeky-What is a meaty bone?
I understand the being protective which is why I usually give him something like that when it is just he and I at home. ANd I have been working that by going over and saying can I see your bone. He kind of does look funny almost like if he had something he is not suppose to have. but then I offer him something else and take the bone away. He would scarf it down which is why I only had given it to him for a short period.


yes, that's good to be able to take it away---sometimes I would even ask to look at it, take it away and then give it right back---the treat swap is a good way to get them use to taking things away, too. :thumbsup:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby katiek0417 » May 25th, 2006, 11:09 am

I stay away from regular rawhide (although Sacha has been known to eat 6 or 8 of the 10-inch rolled ones at my friend Zoe's house in one afternoon)...I give compressed rawhide...the dogs tend not to be able to get off big pieces...and because it take them longer (Sacha can go through a rawhide in 5 minutes...it takes about 4-5 hours on a compressed) they will get up walk around, etc in between....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby rockermom » May 25th, 2006, 11:10 am

Ok Im a tossing it. Now ya got me scared. He only has had about 1/8 of it.
And duhhh I feel stupid to me a meaty bone was one of those things milk bones makes but I knew you were not talking about that. Geez I need to get more educated on this dog stuff. I still have not gotten him any raw bones yet. Do they tend to get protective of the raw bones too?
User avatar
rockermom
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1085

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 11:11 am

mnp13 wrote:Meaty bones are soup bonees or knuckle bones with meat scraps, snew and otherchunks still attached. My dogs can completely finish a veal bone in a few hours. They take a lot longer with cow bones.

You can find them in the meat department or from a butcher. In our 'ghetto' area of the city there is a fantastic meat market that will save me the leg bones of the beef sides that they get in. They even cut them to manageable lengths for me. Be aware that large amounts of marrow can cause your dog to have chalky poop they they may be unable to control, so keep an eye on them until you know who fast they are able to eat the bone.

I would not give the edible nylabones, Pit Bulls are powerful enough to break of chunks and the bones are not meant to be swallowed in chunks.


That is true about the edible Nylabones. One of my guys does break chunks, and that isn't good. Fortunately I haven't had problems with the edibles, but have with the rawhide. I tend to lean towards the nylon Nylabones.

Good point, though . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby mnp13 » May 25th, 2006, 11:12 am

My dogs are not protective of anything. Ever. I don't tolerate it and taught them that lesson from day one.

you don't have to be afraid of the rawhide, it won't come alive and eat you in the night :wink:

they are just more trouble than they are worth. There is risk in everything, rawhide has no benefits to outweigh those risks
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
User avatar
mnp13
Evil Overlord
 
Posts: 17232
Location: Rochester, NY

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 11:13 am

katiek0417 wrote:I stay away from regular rawhide (although Sacha has been known to eat 6 or 8 of the 10-inch rolled ones at my friend Zoe's house in one afternoon)...I give compressed rawhide...the dogs tend not to be able to get off big pieces...and because it take them longer (Sacha can go through a rawhide in 5 minutes...it takes about 4-5 hours on a compressed) they will get up walk around, etc in between....


Oooo, compressed rawhide---another great point. I have always had good luck with those---no scarfing down---however, for me, my female still gets a little too funky when she knows they're in the house, so I steer away from them---but that is a good suggestion.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby katiek0417 » May 25th, 2006, 11:20 am

a-bull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:I stay away from regular rawhide (although Sacha has been known to eat 6 or 8 of the 10-inch rolled ones at my friend Zoe's house in one afternoon)...I give compressed rawhide...the dogs tend not to be able to get off big pieces...and because it take them longer (Sacha can go through a rawhide in 5 minutes...it takes about 4-5 hours on a compressed) they will get up walk around, etc in between....


Oooo, compressed rawhide---another great point. I have always had good luck with those---no scarfing down---however, for me, my female still gets a little too funky when she knows they're in the house, so I steer away from them---but that is a good suggestion.


I always make a point to take things away from my girls, then give them back....they jump on me if they see me going to the drawer where I keep them (Sacha will actually drool)...I've actually switched it up and moved them around...so they can't predict...

I give them each one...what they do to each other's is up to them...my puppy will typically take the one I've given to Sacha after Sacha has had a chance to chew it for a few minutes...b/c it'll get soft and it's easier for Nisha (Nisha enjoys them, but not the work...so she lets sacha do the work). :wink:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 11:25 am

katiek0417 wrote:
a-bull wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:I stay away from regular rawhide (although Sacha has been known to eat 6 or 8 of the 10-inch rolled ones at my friend Zoe's house in one afternoon)...I give compressed rawhide...the dogs tend not to be able to get off big pieces...and because it take them longer (Sacha can go through a rawhide in 5 minutes...it takes about 4-5 hours on a compressed) they will get up walk around, etc in between....


Oooo, compressed rawhide---another great point. I have always had good luck with those---no scarfing down---however, for me, my female still gets a little too funky when she knows they're in the house, so I steer away from them---but that is a good suggestion.


I always make a point to take things away from my girls, then give them back....they jump on me if they see me going to the drawer where I keep them (Sacha will actually drool)...I've actually switched it up and moved them around...so they can't predict...

I give them each one...what they do to each other's is up to them...my puppy will typically take the one I've given to Sacha after Sacha has had a chance to chew it for a few minutes...b/c it'll get soft and it's easier for Nisha (Nisha enjoys them, but not the work...so she lets sacha do the work). :wink:


Yes, I have even hid them in the garage in a ziplock incase she could smell them, lol . . . but she would still pace and get angsty if she knew they were around, so I don't have them anymore---not worth it for me.

I've had lots of various guarding issues, but no longer do. Being able to take stuff away, regardless of what it is, is soooo important. Also, teaching them to leave things. I could drop a steak on my kitchen floor and neither of my dogs will move unless I tell them. :D I'm very proud of that one because they use to be a disaster.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby katiek0417 » May 25th, 2006, 12:21 pm

a-bull wrote:I've had lots of various guarding issues, but no longer do. Being able to take stuff away, regardless of what it is, is soooo important. Also, teaching them to leave things. I could drop a steak on my kitchen floor and neither of my dogs will move unless I tell them. :D I'm very proud of that one because they use to be a disaster.


This is actually an ongoing training battle I have with my trainer.

When I am done working my dog, I tell her okay to release her. If she sniff the ground or takes food from it, though, I correct her and tell her Pfooey. My trainer gets mad and says that she is released so she can do whatever she wants....

I think something like this is a safety issue: I never want my dog to take food from the ground...EVER.

What if someone gets mad at me or my dogs (for barking) and throws a piece of chicken soaked in antifreeze over my fence? That can kill my dog....unless she's taught that, under no circumstances, she should take food from the ground..

Well, he keeps saying how unlikely it is that would happen....well, it was reported on the news last night that it happened...where HE lives!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Wow, interesting. I agree with you. Being 'released' isn't a free for all.

One of my guys use to scarf up ANYTHING the minute it hit the floor. Well, after paying a fortune to remove a tack that fell and he immediately scarfed up---which turned out to not even have the picky part on it, we worked on this skill.

If anyone drops something, they won't touch it---and for the most part, they will not eat things off of the floor without looking at me first . . . but old popcorn can still be hard to resist. :D
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Postby katiek0417 » May 25th, 2006, 1:23 pm

My dogs are good if I drop something in the house...but I guess at training it's too tempting with all that hot dog on the ground :wink:

I just don't want it to be an issue...the problem is that Sacha has the chicken allergy...so even just chicken is a problem for her...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
User avatar
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder
 
Posts: 6280
Location: Glen Burnie, MD

Postby a-bull » May 25th, 2006, 1:32 pm

katiek0417 wrote:My dogs are good if I drop something in the house...but I guess at training it's too tempting with all that hot dog on the ground :wink:

I just don't want it to be an issue...the problem is that Sacha has the chicken allergy...so even just chicken is a problem for her...


"The hot dog on the ground"---oiy---I remember that too well. My dogs were never really interested in that at training. My big issue was my female and the other dogs.

My female has that problem, too. Her mouth will get red and itchy, ears, toes, etc. Such a pain. :(
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here
 
Posts: 2926

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron