Truman's Surgery

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » January 14th, 2011, 11:49 am

No pain patch, Suzanne. If the moaning continues after the 24 hour mark, I will ask about that. Thanks.

Alyssa, I never thought of that. He was SO wide awake at the Vet's when I got him, I forgot he even had anesthesia.

I just get sick to my stomach when I see this position. I iknow I give my dogs human emotions, so I guess if he is doing this, it is fine with him. Please ignore the blood stains...I am doing wash when he gets up.Image

Practicing the e-collar for when I go back to work on Tues. You know what he is thinking....

A BoBo is a dog's best friend. He has it tucked under his head.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » January 14th, 2011, 12:14 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Alyssa, I never thought of that. He was SO wide awake at the Vet's when I got him, I forgot he even had anesthesia.

When I picked up Teeny after a procedure where she had mild sedation, she busted through the crate door when they opened it and jumped over the (tall) desk into my arms. But when we got home she fell out of the car because she was still a tad loopy. LOL! The excitement to see their people seems to temporarily over-ride their loopiness.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby CinderDee » January 14th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Awwww, poor Pony. :( I hope he starts to feel better very soon! :heartbeat: The picture of him with his BoBo is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. :)

Hang in there Joyce. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Jenn » January 14th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Awwwww :hug3: Healing thoughts, good pain free wishes, and plenty of hugs headed ya'lls way!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby DemoDick » January 14th, 2011, 12:56 pm

He seems to be doing fine. He'll find positions that are comfortable for him and they won't look "normal". That's okay.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amalie79 » January 14th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Aw! Hugs!!

He's very lucky to have you AND his BoBo ;-)
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 14th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Thank you for all your good wishes and insights. :) My Vet called to check up on him. Everyone is so nice to me; I am so lucky. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 14th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Has Truman had anything to eat, Joyce? This is a good indication of the severity of discomfort and pain.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 14th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Malli wrote:Has Truman had anything to eat, Joyce? This is a good indication of the severity of discomfort and pain.

LMAO. Oh yes! I was only allowed to give tiny drinks of water yesterday and tablespoons of food. This morning he ate his normal amount, held it down, and was looking for more. I feed three times a day, so lunch was the same.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby mnp13 » January 14th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Has he pooped? That's a good indicator that everything is back to normal in the whole system.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » January 14th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Even if he's acting really normal don't take pain management too lightly[which I know you won't 'cause you're a good mom!]... some dogs are really stoic. I'm glad he's eating and seems to be fine in that respect.

Here's to a super speedy recovery!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby iluvk9 » January 14th, 2011, 5:28 pm

No poop yet. :sad2: DIL shoveled a big section for him and today I snowblowed another section in the yard.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby amazincc » January 14th, 2011, 5:31 pm

iluvk9 wrote:No poop yet. :sad2:

You gotta give Pony time to "fill up" again first. He DID skip breakfast, lunch, and dinner yesterday, right? :wink:

:hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » January 14th, 2011, 5:35 pm

It took Wally 3 days to poop post anesthesia. FYI ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby plebayo » January 14th, 2011, 5:36 pm

amazincc wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:No poop yet. :sad2:

You gotta give Pony time to "fill up" again first. He DID skip breakfast, lunch, and dinner yesterday, right? :wink:

:hug3:

This. Plus, depending on the pain meds they gave him post surgery he could be a little stopped up.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amalie79 » January 14th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Tramadol will often cause constipation. We had a pumpkin party at our house when Simon started taking it.
"In these bodies, we will live; in these bodies we will die.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life." --Marcus Mumford

--Amalie
amalie79
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 14th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Gosh, thanks for all the reasons he may not be pooping yet. :) I never thought of them.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 14th, 2011, 7:20 pm

yay! eating is a good sign! We have to remember, too, that he did just have knee surgery, so he will be uncomfortable, there is just no way around it; we just want to try and make sure they are not "too" uncomfortable.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 14th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Malli wrote:yay! eating is a good sign! We have to remember, too, that he did just have knee surgery, so he will be uncomfortable, there is just no way around it; we just want to try and make sure they are not "too" uncomfortable.

You are right. He is a tad better than when I got him home yesterday. I need to remember that.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 14th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Still sending good thoughts True-Man!!!! Here is hoping to a better night tonight.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health