Truman's Surgery

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » July 7th, 2011, 4:19 pm

plebayo wrote:I Just saw this! Glad to hear he seems to be responding to the rimadyl :D

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a possibility that Rimadyl helped his leg enough so that when he goes off it next week, he is "all better". Right?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » July 7th, 2011, 4:25 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
plebayo wrote:I Just saw this! Glad to hear he seems to be responding to the rimadyl :D

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a possibility that Rimadyl helped his leg enough so that when he goes off it next week, he is "all better". Right?

My answer to this is yes!!!! And that is the answer I am sticking to. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » July 7th, 2011, 5:46 pm

madremissy wrote:My answer to this is yes!!!! And that is the answer I am sticking to. :D

Well, we are twins so we DO think alike. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » July 7th, 2011, 10:35 pm

if the limp is caused by inflammation from a bruise, say, then yes, the rimadyl could expedite the healing. If the damage is to a tendon or cartilage, the rimadyl will help with healing, but it won't fix the leg in a week.

lets hope :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 8th, 2011, 5:58 am

Malli wrote:if the limp is caused by inflammation from a bruise, say, then yes, the rimadyl could expedite the healing. If the damage is to a tendon or cartilage, the rimadyl will help with healing, but it won't fix the leg in a week.

lets hope :)

That's what I thought the Vet explained. Sometimes when I am in the moment of getting news like this, I start thinking ahead and lose what is being explained. Thanks!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » July 8th, 2011, 1:37 pm

I also always forget stuff I'm told at the vet. In my case, its too many questions :doh:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 13th, 2011, 6:15 am

It has been a week and absolutely no limping or favoring his leg. :) Vet has him on reduced Rimadyl for 3 days, then reduced again for 3 more. Another week and he will be off it. Then we see how he is.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » July 13th, 2011, 7:32 am

iluvk9 wrote:It has been a week and absolutely no limping or favoring his leg. :)
Great update :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby plebayo » July 13th, 2011, 10:16 am

Yay!!! Go Truman!!!!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » July 13th, 2011, 12:23 pm

keep behavin' Truman! :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 13th, 2011, 3:42 pm

He is still leash walking me. 8) Not allowed to jump on the bed and I make him walk behind me down the stairs so he doesn't barrel down them.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » July 13th, 2011, 4:29 pm

See, I knew he was just messing with you. :wink:

I am soooo glad he is better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » July 14th, 2011, 2:51 am

iluvk9 wrote:He is still leash walking me. 8) Not allowed to jump on the bed and I make him walk behind me down the stairs so he doesn't barrel down them.

See, Oscar would just barrell through me and take me out at the knees :shock:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 14th, 2011, 7:38 am

Malli wrote:See, Oscar would just barrell through me and take me out at the knees :shock:

I think I told this story....When my DIL came over for the first time, I was in the backyard with the dogs. She is about 100 pounds soaking wet. Truman was 140. There is a slight incline to my yard. So, Truman sees "new meat" and comes running at her. He can't stop and probably doesn't THINK of stopping. He clips her in the knees, where she proceeds to fly UP in the air, almost parallel to the ground. Then she drops like a baby bird out of a tree.

Of course, I was apologetic and so embarrassed. Jimmy just stood there, laughing. She was okay, and thank God she had large breed dogs and a horse and understands momentum.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby homebrwd » July 14th, 2011, 10:27 am

^^^ that made me laugh. Glad to hear he is doing better!
homebrwd
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » July 14th, 2011, 12:54 pm

homebrwd wrote:^^^ that made me laugh. Glad to hear he is doing better!

Thanks! Truman is a laugh a minute.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » July 14th, 2011, 3:39 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
Malli wrote:See, Oscar would just barrell through me and take me out at the knees :shock:

I think I told this story....When my DIL came over for the first time, I was in the backyard with the dogs. She is about 100 pounds soaking wet. Truman was 140. There is a slight incline to my yard. So, Truman sees "new meat" and comes running at her. He can't stop and probably doesn't THINK of stopping. He clips her in the knees, where she proceeds to fly UP in the air, almost parallel to the ground. Then she drops like a baby bird out of a tree.

Of course, I was apologetic and so embarrassed. Jimmy just stood there, laughing. She was okay, and thank God she had large breed dogs and a horse and understands momentum.

I have actually learned to brace myself when I hear him coming down them behind me, and had to work on him not charging me as if he was a bull and I was wearing red :shock: Been there, done that. Been taken out at a full run, from behind, on pavement. Thanks Oskie! :wave2: :rolleyes2:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2011, 7:52 am

He has been off Rimadyl for a good week and he isn't limping. But I still don't think he always puts his full weight on that side when he stands. His pad doesn't seem to fully touch in the back, sort of. No one else would probaby notice, but I scrutinize every little thing about my dogs so I notice.

I still don't let him charge out the door like a buffalo, because I am scared of that knee and the OTHER one going. I usually walk next to him in the yard.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » July 29th, 2011, 7:52 am

Oh, and I have a Rimadyl question so if you are reading this, please look at the new thread. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health