just dropped Connor off

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » November 15th, 2010, 10:18 pm

He was such a mooch, he crawled up on the tech's lap and practically made out with her. The vet got a head butt and kicked in the face a few times when he was being examined on his back.

His thighs are just over 6cm different in size due to atrophy. I took plenty of pictures of course... I'll get them up tonight!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » November 16th, 2010, 12:38 am

After the appointment with the vet, we started out with laser therapy

Connor was a huge flirt with the tech

Where's my new girl friend?

The treadmill tank has a mirror so that the person in the tank with the dog can watch the stride

This is kinda weird, but I have a pretty girl in the tank with me in shorts... I'm cool.

The tank from the mirror's view

Over the door (which he will not be learning to open!)

More of his stride

Stink Bomb being blow dried. Next time we'll be having him rinsed, he smells like a pool!

They said he is doing remarkably well for being under three weeks post-surgery. We are supposed to walk him down the block every time we take him out to pee. We have the next six appointments set up now, through his next set of x-rays at our vet. We go in twice a week for the time being, with light therapy and treadmill each time. We weren't planning to do the light, but we were told that it would be three times a week, so it's balancing out somewhat.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » November 16th, 2010, 4:16 am

woo hoo Connor keep it up! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » November 16th, 2010, 4:28 am

Cool pics. Have you explained the light and laser therapy anywhere? I would love to know more about it.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 16th, 2010, 8:27 am

That treadmill is pretty cool. I did have to laugh at the one where you head and camera are sticking in from the side, lol . And I can't say I'm shocked that Connor flirted - that boy is a man-whore!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » November 16th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Yay for doing well, what a good boy! :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby DemoDick » November 19th, 2010, 9:33 pm

We had PT appointment number two this afternoon. He did well again, though he seems bound and determined to jump out of the enclosure that the treadmill is in. He's favoring the leg this evening. I can tell he's sore. Recovery is an up and down process.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amazincc » November 19th, 2010, 9:39 pm

DemoDick wrote:We had PT appointment number two this afternoon. He did well again, though he seems bound and determined to jump out of the enclosure that the treadmill is in. He's favoring the leg this evening. I can tell he's sore. Recovery is an up and down process.

Demo Dick

Do they have a pool? Is swimming an option at all?
When I took Luka to hydro therapy they just let him do lapse in the pool, while he was wearing a vest. He was also leashed so he wouldn't try to get out by himself... lol
The treadmill wasn't a good option for him, but he really enjoyed his time in the pool, and it definitely helped loosening up his muscles... he always got "extreme zoomies" in the yard afterwards once we got home. :crazy2: :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » November 21st, 2010, 9:58 pm

*sigh*

time for a setback...

He was toe touching when we picked him up after his surgery, and has been getting better ever since. But after Friday he has gone downhill. Last night he slipped on the floor and banged down. All four legs in different directions (like Bambi). Now he won't even put his foot down. I'm hoping it's just because it hurts and not that he damaged it. (ok, I'm not really hoping that it hurts, but you know what I mean.)

I have a call into the vet, still waiting to hear. We're out of town, but we'll either drive him home or bring him to a vet here if they tell us to get xrays. We're low on pain pills so I'm going to ask my vet to call my mom's vet so we can get them there.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » November 22nd, 2010, 9:49 am

DemoDick wrote:We had PT appointment number two this afternoon. He did well again, though he seems bound and determined to jump out of the enclosure that the treadmill is in. He's favoring the leg this evening. I can tell he's sore. Recovery is an up and down process.

Demo Dick

Earl had the same problem. He started to settle down a bit after a few weeks :| If they jam a ball into his mouth will that help him settle down a bit or will that just amp him up more? They gave Earl a ball to keep him focused on something but Connor is obviously a bit different than Earl.

Sorry to hear about his fall, hopefully it is nothing serious. About 2-3 months in Earl irritated his patellar tendon and was toe touching for about a week
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » November 22nd, 2010, 10:00 am

I spoke to our vet a little while ago, but am still waiting for a call back from the surgeon. She said that it's unlikely that he damaged the hardware in there and wants him on meds for the next few days. Of course, we're at my parents house so we're looking for a vet who will fill the prescriptions for us. But that might change when I talk to the other Doctor.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » November 22nd, 2010, 6:40 pm

What a stinker. Perhaps he just really wants to go back and see his new girlfriend at the physical therapy place :|

All kidding aside, I hope he didn't damage anything and that a few days of rest will help him continue to heal.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » November 23rd, 2010, 12:48 am

No call from the surgeon. I'm not happy.

He's back on Ace, Metacam and Tremadol. For some reason, the Ace hit him like a ton of bricks and he's really really out of it.

However, after only one round of meds he's not walking on it, but it's relaxed and hanging instead of being clenched under his belly.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » November 23rd, 2010, 1:47 am

mnp13 wrote:No call from the surgeon. I'm not happy.

He's back on Ace, Metacam and Tremadol. For some reason, the Ace hit him like a ton of bricks and he's really really out of it.

However, after only one round of meds he's not walking on it, but it's relaxed and hanging instead of being clenched under his belly.

When Seth had his butt surgery sometimes half of an ace would knock him out and then other times I'd have to give him 1.5 tabs. Some times I think they're just more sensitive to it than other times.

Hopefully he just really stretched things out with the fall and made everything sore. That's really annoying about not hearing from the Dr - hope you hear something soon.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Malli » November 23rd, 2010, 5:12 am

if you are able to give it to them in the most relaxed state possible, it will help. i.e. an already anxious dog will need enough Ace "to take out a horse" to work and one who is less anxious or more calm will be more "susceptible" to it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » November 23rd, 2010, 11:51 pm

He's still not touching it to the ground, but not clenching it either. It just hangs now, but doesn't flop.

I finally spoke to the surgeon, he wants us in for x-rays on Monday. He said we didn't have to do it now because he's out of state and won't be back until Tuesday morning, so even if we find something he's not here to fix it.

So, Monday morning we're bringing him in, but had a very hard time getting the receptionist to understand that I needed to hold him for the xrays, that we do not want him put under. We went back and forth a few times and then I gave up. The vet we normally see called me tonight and I explained the xray situation. I had already gotten permission to hold him from the practice owner, and further explained that if there is a problem and we need to operate again, that would mean him being under twice in 24 hours. I am not ok with that. She agreed, but was clear that if he didn't cooperate that we'd have to knock him out. He's very good for me though, so hopefully things will be ok.

I did tell her that the receptionist was very clear about the policy and wouldn't bend... but was very polite as well. She laughed and said "we must have trained them well, that's good to hear."

He's acting like a total nut job right now, charging out of his crate and generally being a royal pain in the ass. I'm happy to see it because he was not like that from Friday until Monday afternoon, but it's a catch-22!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » November 24th, 2010, 1:06 am

I think it's odd they would sedate him for a knee x-ray, especially since they are looking at the hardware mostly.

I also think it is odd that they would allow you back there because I know at least in my state unless you have x-ray certification you cannot help with or take x-rays.

I hope everything looks okay in there, sending lots of good vibes for NO second surgery!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby mnp13 » November 24th, 2010, 10:47 pm

He's walking!!! Only sometimes, but he's starting to use it again.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby plebayo » November 25th, 2010, 3:12 am

mnp13 wrote:He's walking!!! Only sometimes, but he's starting to use it again.

YAY!

I hope you explained to him bambi falls are no longer allowed.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Leslie H » November 26th, 2010, 10:18 pm

I hope Connor continues to improve.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health