Knee again

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 7th, 2010, 2:11 pm

YOUCH! I hope he heals up well and quickly!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2010, 2:41 pm

maberi wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:Oh, and I agree...if you can find vet wrap to keep the ice pack on, it would be good...

Country Max sells the horse vet wrap that works really well. We used that and a bag of frozen peas on Earl's leg for his daily icings

Was it you, then, that told me that trick for Nemo? I don't remember...but now that you're saying it, I think it might have been you! :?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby maberi » July 7th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Ha, not sure if I shared my wisdom with your or not. :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2010, 5:52 pm

maberi wrote:Country Max sells the horse vet wrap that works really well. We used that and a bag of frozen peas on Earl's leg for his daily icings

We have a small wrap around pack for now, I'm not sure where it came from, but it was in the freezer from some injury or another! and a canine knee-specific one on the way.

I didn't think of the horse vet-wrap, I have a few rolls of that around. good call!

Katrina - thanks for the info! The water up at camp is pretty shallow over at the islands, I wonder if that would work well for regulating depth.

We have a vet appointment for the drawer test on Monday.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2010, 6:02 pm

mnp13 wrote:
maberi wrote:Country Max sells the horse vet wrap that works really well. We used that and a bag of frozen peas on Earl's leg for his daily icings

We have a small wrap around pack for now, I'm not sure where it came from, but it was in the freezer from some injury or another! and a canine knee-specific one on the way.

I didn't think of the horse vet-wrap, I have a few rolls of that around. good call!

Katrina - thanks for the info! The water up at camp is pretty shallow over at the islands, I wonder if that would work well for regulating depth.

We have a vet appointment for the drawer test on Monday.

It should...just make sure he is WALKING and not swimming...my only concern is the grounding...if it's sandy/uneven, I wouldn't want to see him injure it more b/c he loses his footing...I have the list of exercises that Nemo was given before we did the surgery to strengthen the muscles in his legs (actually, it's the same as what we've been doing now, LOL). I'm more than happy to scan them and send them to you, if you want...

Also, ask the vet to do an x-ray, if you can...they can tell alot by the amount of effusion in the knee, and is especially helpful if Conner tenses up and doesn't allow them to do the drawer test or the slide test...Peter was able to tell more about Nemo's knee from the x-rays than he was from the tests he did...

And, one more thing, ilioid injuries often look very much like a knee injury (when Apache hurt himself, I swore up and down it was his knee, and it turned out to be a strained ilioid)...so, see if your vet can palpate the ilioid to see if there's tenseness or spasms...

Okay, really, this is the last thing :wink: if it IS a knee injury, be careful what you do with him b/c knee injuries can lead to ilioid injuries...AND, I'm sure you know this, but if it IS the knee, there is a 60% chance that he'll injure the other one...so be very careful!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2010, 6:21 pm

If you can scan those that would be great! Thanks!! I'll definitely ask about an x-ray. Connor is pretty good for me, so he will probably actually do it without sedation.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » July 7th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Good thoughts for Connor. Frozen veges are the best ice packs. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby iluvk9 » July 7th, 2010, 7:26 pm

I cringe when I see "knee" in any thread. :sad2: Hope Connor AND YOU are doing okay.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » July 7th, 2010, 8:39 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Okay, really, this is the last thing :wink: if it IS a knee injury, be careful what you do with him b/c knee injuries can lead to ilioid injuries...AND, I'm sure you know this, but if it IS the knee, there is a 60% chance that he'll injure the other one...so be very careful!

yup, Xander's been doing fine with one bum knee for over a year...and just blew his other one. :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby angelica_2001 » July 10th, 2010, 1:09 pm

katiek0417,

I too would love to see those exercises, if I could. I just brought my dog Allie home from surgery #2 on her right knee. She tore her CCL in both knees and shredded the meniscus, so we just had that removed along with the plate from her TPLO. *sigh* So anything I can do to prevent another surgery on her left knee would be good. :) Thanks!!

Monica
angelica_2001
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » July 10th, 2010, 8:09 pm

How's the knee doing? Is it any better?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby katiek0417 » July 11th, 2010, 12:14 am

angelica_2001 wrote:katiek0417,

I too would love to see those exercises, if I could. I just brought my dog Allie home from surgery #2 on her right knee. She tore her CCL in both knees and shredded the meniscus, so we just had that removed along with the plate from her TPLO. *sigh* So anything I can do to prevent another surgery on her left knee would be good. :) Thanks!!

Monica

I have to scan them, and I'll send them to Michelle, then, perhaps she can post them larger on here so people can see them...

Nemo, at 7 weeks post-op, is looking fantastic...he even trotted the other day, and you almost couldn't tell that he was only 7 weeks post-TPLO...he's not even off-loading anymore when he stands still....so I am VERY happy with his progress!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2010, 9:27 am

Please scan them large and email them to me, I'll re-format them so people can view them here.

Connor is still limping, but puts his foot down sometimes. We ice twice a day, his favorite time of the day lol
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TinaMartin » July 12th, 2010, 9:34 am

Glad to know there is some improvement.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Sending lots of good thoughts for his vet appointment today!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2010, 6:08 pm

They just got back. Drawer test indicates a partial tear. He has meticam for swelling, and we are to continue with what we're doing - crate rest, leash walks and icing.

Canine Icer arrived today, so we're going to start using that. yay!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » July 12th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Bleh... not the dx anyone was hoping for. Poor Connor. :sad2:

What's the longterm prognosis for something like that?

Sending many, many butt scratches his way - that crate rest must be killing him more than the pain in his knee. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 12th, 2010, 7:19 pm

amazincc wrote:Bleh... not the dx anyone was hoping for. Poor Connor. :sad2:

What's the longterm prognosis for something like that?

Sending many, many butt scratches his way - that crate rest must be killing him more than the pain in his knee. :wink:

I don't know what they told Michelle, but Nemo had a partial tear...they figured his was about 25% torn (and they confirmed that when they opened him up), but in some cases, the tear can heal enough that it will never affect them again...In other cases, like Nemo's, therapy did not work and we had to opt for surgery...

Now, a lot of what they decide is dependent on the dog's age, activity level, and level of fitness....

Michelle, I'm very sorry to hear that...it definitely sucks...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » July 12th, 2010, 8:09 pm

I didn't go, Demo did, he'll have to post later.

Connor was ok for a while before he re-injured, so hopefully if we are better and more consistent with his re-hab this time he will remain in good repair!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 12th, 2010, 9:42 pm

mnp13 wrote:I didn't go, Demo did, he'll have to post later.

Connor was ok for a while before he re-injured, so hopefully if we are better and more consistent with his re-hab this time he will remain in good repair!!

I sent you the list of Nemo's exercises for your use, and for posting.

Once you post them, I'll elaborate on them...

As a side note, they say Post-TPLO on them, but they are the same exercises that we did post-injury/pre-TPLO...I just can't find the original sheets that I was given when we started rehab...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

PreviousNext