Harley's Stomach Emptying Problem

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby CinderDee » January 24th, 2011, 8:56 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Another good day. Whew....I live and die by his eating a puking, know what I mean?

I do. :hug3: Come on Harley, you can do it!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 24th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Believe it or not, he wanted more dry with shredded cheese. And it stayed down. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby madremissy » January 24th, 2011, 9:33 pm

:confetti: :confetti: :confetti:

Wahoo Harley, You are on a roll. Did my little talk with your tummy work? :wink:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby call2arms » January 25th, 2011, 12:38 am

Woot woot for stomach functioning properly!

We use Cerenia for nauseous dogs pretty often, the only thing is that it can be used for a couple of days at a time... On the more expensive side you also have Zofran (odansetron) which is really good and often used for chemo patients, too.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » January 25th, 2011, 6:57 am

call2arms wrote:Woot woot for stomach functioning properly!

We use Cerenia for nauseous dogs pretty often, the only thing is that it can be used for a couple of days at a time... On the more expensive side you also have Zofran (odansetron) which is really good and often used for chemo patients, too.

I bring Truman in on Sat. for stitch removal, so I am going to ask Vet about Cerenia and Zofran, SHOULD his puking start again. The Mitazipine costs me $60.00 for 30 pills. He gets one a day. Unfortunately, my personal insurance doesn't cover it. :wink:

So, far.....he is eating and holding it down. :)

I don't want to lower his dosages on anything. Ever. This works. And honestly, at 10 years old, who cares what the long term side effects are of Reglan and Mitazipine? I CANNOT watch him starve himself again. It just tears a piece of my heart out when I get "that face".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » January 26th, 2011, 6:50 pm

I agree with you. I would just continue to give him whatever works and not worry about the long term issues. I'm so glad to hear that he's eating & holding it down! :confetti:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » January 26th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Another good day. So I feel I am out of the woods with worry. :) And he will be on this protocol forever.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » January 27th, 2011, 12:21 am

Good stomach. *pats stomach*

If that's what he needs, then be it. The most important part is that he's eating.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby airwalk » January 27th, 2011, 1:28 am

I'm so glad Harleybird is eating and keeping it down...I'm with you Joyce whatever they need or will eat and keep down...do it.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » January 27th, 2011, 4:30 am

yay, no more yoyoing!

Excellent :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 29th, 2011, 4:08 pm

I can't get a smurfing break here. Or should I say, Harley can't get one.

Interested in food, I give him some, and he turns away. He puked today; yellow foam and slime.

Maybe I just need more patience.... :sad2: and tomorrow will be a better day for him.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » January 29th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I think he's just hoping for some lap time Mom! We are all sending Harley keep your food down thoughts your way along with the Truman no trotting thoughts...careful about opening your front door all those thoughts might blow you over.
airwalk
I live here

Postby hugapitbull » January 29th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Poor Harley (and you)! I know you've tried about everything, but was baby food on the list? It almost sounds like he is letting himself get to hungry before he eats again. We had a friend whose dog had to eat breakfast pretty soon after they got up or she threw up the foamy yellow bile and was nauseated and wouldn't eat after that.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » January 29th, 2011, 6:31 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Poor Harley (and you)! I know you've tried about everything, but was baby food on the list? It almost sounds like he is letting himself get to hungry before he eats again. We had a friend whose dog had to eat breakfast pretty soon after they got up or she threw up the foamy yellow bile and was nauseated and wouldn't eat after that.

Thanks...yes, baby food was tried. They wake up at 5:15 and he gets his Reglan. About 30 minutes later, he eats. Well, I offer him food. Sometimes he isn't interested until I stop home on my break at 11:00 am.

He ate chicken all mushed up at 3:00 pm. Let's see if it stays down. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 29th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Tons of good thoughts for no gakking... :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2011, 6:41 pm

sending no puking thoughts from here...Score took over for Harley today...so tell Harley that there's no need to puke now.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » January 29th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Thanks, Ladies. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » January 30th, 2011, 12:55 am

Here's hoping for NO hacking!! ;)

Keep your food down Harley, momma lady needs some rest.. :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » January 30th, 2011, 3:19 am

No barfing thoughts from here too!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » January 30th, 2011, 4:13 am

well, on the bright side, he didn't barf any food!

Oscar is one of those. He's had phases of getting nauseous without food 1st thing, and my SIL's dog HAS to eat 1st thing or he WILL get sick.

Perhaps Oscar was channelling sympathy for Harley :| On thurs he woke up and barfed up his dinner from the night before, and then refused breakfast, which is unheard of :shock: He spent the day acting like he felt unwell/nauseous, barely drank and slept almost the whole time, finally started getting better in the evening. I thought I might have to take him in to the ER Vet :neutral: Thankfully by the next day he was back to himself.
Maybe they made an agreement to give Harley a day off :|

Good thoughts for eating and digesting and motility!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health