Harley's Stomach Emptying Problem

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » August 2nd, 2010, 7:36 am

iluvk9 wrote:Today I go buy a 5# bag. :dance:

:D :D :D :D :D YES!!!!! :D :D :D :D
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby CinderDee » August 2nd, 2010, 8:07 am

iluvk9 wrote:
CinderDee wrote:Joyce, do you want me to send you some of Zuzu's food for him to try? It's like doggie crack.

What is the food, Dee? I have literally tried every brand; dry and canned, vet prescribed, homemade and even some raw. He just doesn't want to eat. But today was a good day, so I am praying it now continues to spiral UPWARD.

It's called Ziwi Peak. Here's the link. They have wet & dry. The dry looks like small pieces of jerky.
http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml

I can send you some to try but if you want to order it you can get it on Amazon.com or Petfooddirect.
http://www.petfooddirect.com/category/Dog/Dog-Food/Brand/Ziwipeak

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ziwipeak+dog&sprefix=ziw&ih=3_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.606_573&fsc=-1

I hope the good days continue. :hug3:

ETA:

I just read the rest of the thread and I'm thrilled that Harley's eating! :mrgreen:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » August 2nd, 2010, 7:45 pm

Dee, I will keep that brand in my brain in case. :) Right now he is eating again. He had four small meals of EVO grain free Turkey/Chicken because the Calif. Naturals grain free apparently "just came out" on the market here, and none of the 4 shops I went to carry it yet.

Anyway, he is eating and I am sticking to what is working. I have even backed off on the amount of steak or chicken I add. I snuck a tablespoon of I/D canned in, but I don't think I can sneak any more than that in.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 2nd, 2010, 8:42 pm

I like your plan of action too. :D

BTW...one thing I never asked...how long do you give him to eat? Does he have access to food anytime, or for a long period of time?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » August 2nd, 2010, 10:27 pm

I feed 3 times a day during then school year, and 4 times a day on weekends or summer.

I don't free-feed because Darlene and Truman would be lard-asses. 8)

When Harley wasn't sick, he would eat within a few minutes. Now that he has had issues, I remove the food when he walks away. I re-offer it ten minutes later, but he never wants it then.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 2nd, 2010, 10:32 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I feed 3 times a day during then school year, and 4 times a day on weekends or summer.

I don't free-feed because Darlene and Truman would be lard-asses. 8)

When Harley wasn't sick, he would eat within a few minutes. Now that he has had issues, I remove the food when he walks away. I re-offer it ten minutes later, but he never wants it then.

I had a thought the other day as I was driving along...but I've forgotten what my point was since then. But I was mulling over whether he could be free-fed in another room or crate (away from the others)...if his tummy hurts, he may want to eat on his own schedule?

Just another thought...yeah, I spend my day driving around town letting dogs out, I spend a lot of time thinking about things. ;) Like Harley's issues.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » August 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm

I could section off an area of the house with a baby gate when I am not home, and let him have a full dish. :| I never thought of trying it.

Recently, I feed the other three, then send them outside while he eats. While they don't see each other where each of their dishes are set up, I thought maybe they were stressing him out, somehow.

Thanks for the ideas, though. :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » August 3rd, 2010, 2:12 am

iluvk9 wrote:Dee, I will keep that brand in my brain in case. :) Right now he is eating again.

Sounds good, Joyce. I'm so happy he's eating! :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » August 3rd, 2010, 5:53 am

Ate again this morning. :) I swear, the world just seems right when I see him eating. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby PoodleMaMaKat » August 3rd, 2010, 9:04 am

Yay!!! So happy he is eating!!

Now don't take him off his meds because he's doing better :wink:
Kat
Kodi- Mini Poodle
Mia Puppy - Standard Poodle

If you ever doubt your own beauty, look into your dogs eyes and see for yourself what they see in you.
PoodleMaMaKat
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » August 3rd, 2010, 10:12 am

PoodleMaMaKat wrote:Now don't take him off his meds because he's doing better :wink:

Oh, I learned my lesson last time, pretending I was a Vet. :smileUp:

Thanks!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » August 11th, 2010, 5:23 am

How is Harley doing?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » August 11th, 2010, 6:09 am

Thanks for asking, Dee.

It comes and goes. He prefers lots of small meals all day. Sometimes he dances around the kitchen when food is around, sometimes he sulks away. The puking has slowed down, but hasn't entirely stopped.

He is still drinking water, sleeping well, playing outside, barking like everyone else at nothing, and happy-go-lucky.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » August 11th, 2010, 6:19 am

That's pretty good news. It sounds like it's not bothering him too much. Is he on any type of meds like pepcid or carafate? (sorry, I don't remember)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby iluvk9 » August 11th, 2010, 6:22 am

He is down to reglan to empty the stomach, an appetite stimulant and pepcid.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » August 11th, 2010, 9:23 am

So glad that he's continuing to do well...:D

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » August 11th, 2010, 9:59 am

The weird thing is WHEN he decides he is hungry. It is like he woke up from a coma and is waiting for the buffet to open. I limit how much he eats or I am afraid it will end up on the floor again.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » November 19th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Hello again! :dance:

Harleybird is back up to 74 pounds. He was eating and doing great for months now.

Three days ago, he puked yellow foam. He refuses some of the food he loved (MIGHTY DOG!!) and will maybe eat canned cat food, OR kibble soaked with water and bacon sprinkled on it. He also was very interested in my cheese.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » November 19th, 2010, 6:08 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Hello again! :dance:

Harleybird is back up to 74 pounds. He was eating and doing great for months now.

Three days ago, he puked yellow foam. He refuses some of the food he loved (MIGHTY DOG!!) and will maybe eat canned cat food, OR kibble soaked with water and bacon sprinkled on it. He also was very interested in my cheese.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

:D :cry:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » November 19th, 2010, 7:12 pm

maybe if you melt a little cheese in warm water and then soak the kibble in it?

I'm sorry :(
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health