Raw vs. Kibble debate

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » May 23rd, 2006, 5:22 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Nope, sorry. I refuse to have more animals than I can afford to feed a healthy diet to. If it means I can only have one dog in order to feed it the best food possible, then I only have one dog.

Same here. I had been contemplating adopting my last foster but monetarily it would not have been wise.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » May 23rd, 2006, 5:23 pm

LindsaySF wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:Umm... a bag of Canidae is like $30.

We go through nearly two 40 pound bags of dog food a month. A 33-lb bag of Canidae is $26, so times two is $52. Then add $12 shipping for these 2 bags (because nowhere around me, that I know of, carries Canidae), and voila $64.

Sorry if I referred to one bag when I meant two, but either way I can not afford this.
~Lindsay~

So would YOU consider getting rid of your dogs because you can't afford it? Or not rescuing (if you rescue) any that happen to be on death row? It sure isn't a solution for me...sorry.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 23rd, 2006, 5:24 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Nope, sorry. I refuse to have more animals than I can afford to feed a healthy diet to. If it means I can only have one dog in order to feed it the best food possible, then I only have one dog.

Well then I guess I have to return my foster to the shelter so he can be put to sleep... :rolleyes2:

Seriously guys, do you really think it is better for my foster (Brutus) to be DEAD right now than at my home eating Kirkland? Come on now...

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 5:25 pm

Like I already said, if I cannot afford to feed my dogs a good diet I do not need to have them. Feeding crap just so I can have more animas is not acceptable to me. Same thing with kids, if I cannot afford them I refuse to have them, that is why I only have 1. Well, that isn't the ONLT reason but it is one of the major ones.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby LindsaySF » May 23rd, 2006, 5:26 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Same here. I had been contemplating adopting my last foster but monetarily it would not have been wise.

It's not like we are forcing our dogs to eat out of garbage cans because we can't afford to feed them! Geez....

Now who is being attacked here? :rolleyes2:

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 23rd, 2006, 5:29 pm

You guys simply cannot be for real.
You're saying that the dogs we own, we shouldn't own because we aren't feeding them the UPPERMOST quality dog food on the market?
I could see you saying don't have dogs if we let them starve or didn't get them vet care, but this is pure bullsh*t and if you don't know it I feel really sorry for you.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 5:31 pm

That's what I am saying. What if your dogs get sick? if you can't feed them decent food how can you take them to the vet?

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » May 23rd, 2006, 5:32 pm

I would not have adopted Trey if I couldnt afford to feed him raw. I would not foster dogs if I couldnt afford to feed them raw or high quality kibble.

That is just me. :|

The majority of the people I know (in person) in person feed crap food. I will never understand it. Would you feed your children McDonalds everyday? Crap human food is cheaper too!

I'm not going to say that you should not own your dogs. However, proper nutrition is a priority in my life just as it is in my pet's life. If something came up and I couldnt afford to buy quality food for my dogs, I would eat Ramen and sell my furniture.

Some people have different ideas of what is important. I want my animals to have the best nutrition. Not mediocre.

:|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 5:32 pm

ANd.....no reason to be so defensive :rolleyes2: . I said I....not YOU. You live how you chose & I will do the same.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » May 23rd, 2006, 5:33 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:That's what I am saying. What if your dogs get sick? if you can't feed them decent food how can you take them to the vet?

That is a good point.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 23rd, 2006, 5:36 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:ANd.....no reason to be so defensive :rolleyes2: . I said I....not YOU. You live how you chose & I will do the same.

Wow... We shouldn't be so defensive? You're kidding me right?

You were flipping out a few pages ago about how your feeding practices were being attacked when we have done nothing but politely post links and information in this thread. If you see us posting links to studies about raw feeding myths, Salmonella cases, etc, as an "attack", perhaps this thread is not the place for you?

Either way, to tell us we shouldn't have our dogs because we're not feeding them what you would feed them is just ridiculous... From a "moderator" no less? Yeah, I feel a little attacked here....

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 23rd, 2006, 5:37 pm

Somehow we must have managed, since all our animals are fixed - and when/IF they get ill (rarely) they visit the vet.
Actually none of our dogs are ill nor have they been except Copper and his is breed-related (long back) I think I mentioned all that in some post or another. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 23rd, 2006, 5:38 pm

LindsaySF wrote:
Magnolia618 wrote:Umm... a bag of Canidae is like $30.

We go through nearly two 40 pound bags of dog food a month. A 33-lb bag of Canidae is $26, so times two is $52. Then add $12 shipping for these 2 bags (because nowhere around me, that I know of, carries Canidae), and voila $64.

Sorry if I referred to one bag when I meant two, but either way I can not afford this.

~Lindsay~

$64 a month. Let's break that down, shall we?
$64 will buy 5 or 6 pizzas
$64 is one meal at a decent restaurant
$64 is 3 30 racks of Budweiser (shut up, I went to UMass, I know these things)

It's not that much. How much are you spending now a month? I bet the difference between the two is equal to a night at the movies and a pizza, so why not just give that up each month? I was spending $150 a month on one dog last summer/fall . . . and I was only making $100 a week. He came first.

I guess my issue is that I am no longer a bleeding heart. There was a point at which my roommates and I had 2 ferrets, 2 rabbits, 5 rats, and 5 chinchillas in a small apartment that didn't allow any pets. With the exception of the ferrets all of the other pets were rescues because we were bleeding hearts.

Do I regret saving them and spending my paycheck on them each week? Nope. But would I overload myself like that again? Absolutely not. It killed my standard of living, stripped me of all cash, because I insisted on feeding all of those animals correctly, including my roommate's chinchillas as he would feed them Taco Bell instead of proper chin food. I wouldn't have it. I spread myself too thin.

Now I've grown up, I've matured, and I have realized my limit (much like how in college you would constantly drink until you puked Freshman year . . . but by Senior year you knew your limit). I will not compromise my animal's health to add more to this house than I can handle. And this is why I'm not a rescuer. I *gasp* put myself and my family before all else *what a selfish bitch* My family includes my two dogs and my rabbit. I will not sacrifice our standard of living and our health.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby msvette2u » May 23rd, 2006, 5:39 pm

LindsaySF wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:ANd.....no reason to be so defensive :rolleyes2: . I said I....not YOU. You live how you chose & I will do the same.

You were flipping out a few pages ago about how your feeding practices were being attacked when we have done nothing but politely post links and information in this thread. If you see us posting links to studies about raw feeding myths, Salmonella cases, etc, as an "attack", perhaps this thread is not the place for you?

Either way, to tell us we shouldn't have our dogs because we're not feeding them what you would feed them is just ridiculous... From a "moderator" no less? Yeah, I feel a little attacked here....

~Lindsay~

I agree - the inanity here is amazing (and from a MODERATOR). Somehow, Lindsay, I have a feeling that no matter what we said we fed them - we'd have been attacked. Oops that is unless we said "raw" lol
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 23rd, 2006, 5:41 pm

LindsaySF wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:Same here. I had been contemplating adopting my last foster but monetarily it would not have been wise.

It's not like we are forcing our dogs to eat out of garbage cans because we can't afford to feed them! Geez....

Now who is being attacked here? :rolleyes2:

~Lindsay~

I'm slightly perplexed as to how that was an attack. I can't afford to add a third dog to my house, and was barely scraping by when she was here by feeding her Canidae. That's what I was saying.

I guess when I do things I make sure they are done right. I don't believe in pulling a dog from a shelter and having it eat crap and just sit around while being fostered. I believe in feeding that dog the highest quality kibble and making sure that dog has a buttload of training and socialization because that is the real responsibility of a foster home . . . not just to be a space away from a shelter.
SisMorphine

Postby msvette2u » May 23rd, 2006, 5:42 pm

I will not compromise my animal's health to add more to this house than I can handle. And this is why I'm not a rescuer. I *gasp* put myself and my family before all else *what a selfish bitch* My family includes my two dogs and my rabbit. I will not sacrifice our standard of living and our health.

Since this thread has started I've stated again and again our animals' health is not suffering. IF it did, I'd reconsider our choices with 1) feeding and/or 2) the amt. of animals we have. But since it isn't happening the point is moot.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby LindsaySF » May 23rd, 2006, 5:43 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:That's what I am saying. What if your dogs get sick? if you can't feed them decent food how can you take them to the vet?

First off, saying that we are not feeding our dogs "decent food" is simply your (misguided) opinion.

Second, who said we wouldn't be taking our dogs to the vet? Way to jump to conclusions here!!

Cody gets $100 a month for his condition, and we spent close to $1,000 in the first place trying to find out what was wrong with him.

Brutus (my foster dog) has already had nearly $400 spent on him just for shots, neuter, and hip x-ray... But you're right, he'd be better off dead than at my house eating Kirkland dog food... :rolleyes2:

~Lindsay~
LindsaySF
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 5:43 pm

LindsaySF wrote:

~Lindsay~

Do not tell me or anyone else where to post on this board. That is the second time you have done that. If you have a problem with the way I mod the board........tell one of the admins. I have not attaked you, I have made comments about what YOU feed, the same as you made comments about what I feed. And another thing, not EVERYTHING said on this board or this thread is directed towards YOU. We do have other members.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » May 23rd, 2006, 5:44 pm

I don't believe in pulling a dog from a shelter and having it eat crap and just sit around while being fostered.

Who does that?????
FYI, I'd rather see a dog pulled and fed "crap" like Nutro (whose ingredients are virtually the SAME as are Canidae). As for the dogs we foster, they are housebroken and taught basic obedience in the period of time we have them.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 23rd, 2006, 5:44 pm

msvette2u wrote:
I will not compromise my animal's health to add more to this house than I can handle. And this is why I'm not a rescuer. I *gasp* put myself and my family before all else *what a selfish bitch* My family includes my two dogs and my rabbit. I will not sacrifice our standard of living and our health.

Since this thread has started I've stated again and again our animals' health is not suffering. IF it did, I'd reconsider our choices with 1) feeding and/or 2) the amt. of animals we have. But since it isn't happening the point is moot.

Well *gasp* neither are OURS!!!!! Moot point indeed.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health