*Coughing*

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2010, 12:52 am

Ino wrote:Poor Sepp. :( Ino was doing the same thing a week ago and had me scared to death after I searched the "gag" cough without vomiting and pacing (and he was also drooling a bit- which he also does when he is stressed, so wasnt sure if that was an actual symptom)- bloat (my big fear) came up so I decided to sleep on the futon mattress with him and hardly slept that night so I could watch over him. It didnt seem like nausea because he wanted to eat, so I gave him a little peanut butter and youghurt to try to see if I could help him clear whatever was bothering him. About 24 hours after it started, it ended. I think he had something in his throat (probably a wood chip because he is obsessed with finding and chewing sticks). Now, I started bringing a toy that he loves on our walk so if he grabs a stick, the toy is more valuable and he will drop the stick. I hope whatever it ends up being, they can clear it up fast and your boy feels better!

I'm glad Ino is okay! :shock: :hug3:

I grind Sepps food (so, no bone splinters), I supervise him w/chew toys and big bones, and he doesn't chew sticks or things he shouldn't, he doesn't pull on the leash to the point of choking himself... right now kennel cough is really my best "guess". :|

I hate mysteries. :rolleyes2: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » February 24th, 2010, 1:23 am

Thanks, I am glad Ino is better too and hope Sepp's vet can get him feeling better soon also. I hate Ino's stick obsession- especially since he starts running with them hanging out of his mouth with just the tip in his mouth to tease the other dogs :doh: - it is like a kid running with scissors, so the toy thing is the only way to curb it (it is like a mini cuz ball). He is still in his "everything is a chase me game" stage, so "drop it" isnt 100% yet. The other possibility with Ino, now that I think of it is maybe he had a reaction to the Febreeze air effects spray because I did use that around that time I think and I know my asthmatic kitty had to be given a dose of his Flovent inhailer after I sprayed it. Hmmm- I dunno, but I do know since Punkin had an asthma attack, Febreeze is not going to be used in here again.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2010, 1:32 am

Ino wrote:now that I think of it is maybe he had a reaction to the Febreeze air effects spray because I did use that around that time I think and I know my asthmatic kitty had to be given a dose of his Flovent inhailer after I sprayed it. Hmmm- I dunno, but I do know since Punkin had an asthma attack, Febreeze is not going to be used in here again.

I use a lot of scented candles. :shock: :?

Argh, Thursday afternoon can't get here fast enough.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » February 24th, 2010, 1:45 am

Sounds like kennel cough to me too, we've used Robutussen with very good results. I don't think they can do anything but palliative care for it anyways if that's what it is.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » February 24th, 2010, 3:45 am

Depends if the Kennel Cough is causing a secondary infection or not(often when a dog needs to be hospitalized, or for a particularly severe case that makes the dog not want to eat or drink). But mostly the idea is to treat the symptoms, you're right.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Ino » February 24th, 2010, 9:50 am

amazincc wrote:
I use a lot of scented candles. :shock: :?

Argh, Thursday afternoon can't get here fast enough.

I actually started using Shop Rite brand scented candles about 2 weeks ago occasionally (only lit them a few times- not sure if I lit one the same day the boys started coughing- but it is possible). I do not like the smell of the new cat litter (it is corn cob and I am not a big fan of corn smell). Maybe it is worth mentioning to the vet, I know they are toxic to birds so I would imagine in higher concentrations, they could probably mess with larger pets. I lit 3 clean linen scented ones and a strawberry and a cinnamon. Now you got me thinking!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » February 24th, 2010, 11:10 am

mnp13 wrote:Sounds like kennel cough to me too, we've used Robutussen with very good results. I don't think they can do anything but palliative care for it anyways if that's what it is.
We used Robitussin for Trouble when she came home from being kenneled with great results (Dr. F prescribed)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Suzi » February 24th, 2010, 11:16 am

How's Sepp doing??? Better? Coughing more?
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Suzi wrote:How's Sepp doing??? Better? Coughing more?

He's not worse! Vet agreed to some Robitussin, and that seems to help. :dance:

Thanks for asking. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2010, 11:58 pm

Glad to hear that things are looking up!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » February 25th, 2010, 7:01 pm

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health