Emergency Surgery for Blockage

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Ino » February 20th, 2010, 10:00 pm

amazincc wrote:
Here's the link to the vet care credit page... it explains the whole thing in detail.
http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Thank you Christine. I looked to see if my either of Ino's vets (holistic and regular) here accept it and they currently do not. I am going to ask them next time I go in though. I think his regular vet sometimes will make payment plans with people so that may be why. This area is made up of a lot of small towns where everybody knows everybody (I am the minority in that I was not born and raised around here) so that probably has a lot to do with it. A lot of vets in the area of Fl I am moving to in June do accept it though so I will definately be applying for it because it is good to have a back up. I also should have a chance to get out of the hole after I move so will also start building up an emergency fund again (the boys depleted it this year).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » February 21st, 2010, 3:24 am

Connor will fare just fine. This is a basically routine surgery and we caught the problem early enough to forgoe any major pre-op stuff or serious recovery efforts. He'll be back to work, looking for bad guys to bite and scent items to find in short order. Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement.

Matt-I'll holler at you regarding the collar. Thanks.
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2010, 3:55 am

Pit♥Bull wrote:
mnp13 wrote:but having it end up wrapped up with the rope was the main problem.
I'll bet the odds on that happening are Astronomical. :o

I've seen it more often then you'd think!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2010, 3:55 am

Michelle, I know it's hard not to visit in hospital, but he'll be ok!

I know for Oscar and I, I doubt I'd visit either, besides peeking through the window where he couldn't see me; He'd just do better without me coming and going - for him it would be like a tease I think.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » February 21st, 2010, 9:37 am

Now that Connor is on the way to recovery, exactly what did he do? He was chewing on a rope toy and shredded it, ate it, and it became tangled with bones he had eaten?

I am asking to help prevent, if possible, this from happening to mine, since they love those braided ropes to tug on.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby blabsforbullies » February 21st, 2010, 9:56 am

I'm also glad to hear that Connor is doing well! :confetti: So many things can happen, and I am just glad that all is well. :clap: The first several days are the worst, but then hopefully you are HOME FREE!!! :elephant:

I've seen many, many rope toy blockages. The problem is that even if the dog is chewing off little pieces of rope that wouldn't get stuck in and of themselves, the pieces become an easy trap to trap any number of other things! >( And even those things, in most cases, would've passed, had the string not held it up. :sad2: But I see sooooo many dogs with rope toy AND something else. I even had one with rope toy and food! :|

Anyway, sending you all the best get well wishes and am looking forward to hearing the good news that he is coming home tomorrow! :goodthoughts:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » February 21st, 2010, 12:29 pm

The Dr called, Connor is awake and alert. She said that they would try to give him food later on today and see how he does. We're still hopefully on track to bring him home tomorrow.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » February 21st, 2010, 12:50 pm

Hooray for good updates :)

:confetti: :bounce: :confetti:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby tiva » February 21st, 2010, 2:49 pm

Great news! Tiva recovered very quickly from her almost-identical obstruction surgery (the beginning of a perforation in the intestine from a toothpick of all the idiotic things. Her symptom was vomiting blood all over the living room rug at 3 am, pretty hard to miss). So I hope Conner's recovery will go smoothly and rapidly.
tiva
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby LMM » February 21st, 2010, 2:51 pm

I'm really glad Connor is okay! I didn't even tell Mia he had a boo boo, she would freak :shock:

Connor's symptoms sound a lot like when Junie had her own blockage. And I love Care Credit. When used propertly it's an awesome resource!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby hugapitbull » February 21st, 2010, 5:02 pm

Great updates, love good news. Sending healing thoughts.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby HappyPuppy » February 21st, 2010, 5:34 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:
mnp13 wrote:but having it end up wrapped up with the rope was the main problem.
I'll bet the odds on that happening are Astronomical. :o

Two years ago I almost made a post about the possiblilty of blockage with bones/toys when Ruby barfed up a section of rib bone about the size of 3-4 nickels wrapped lengthwise with yellow toy fuzz. (wish I had taken a picture!) It wasn't that big, obviously, but I totally saw the potential of things wadding up in there...like that.

So glad to hear the surgery went well! Wishing for a textbook recovery!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Hoyden » February 21st, 2010, 6:32 pm

Holy Hells! I missed this yesterday. I'm glad that you caught it and he will be okay.

I think I am going to put up Birdie's ropes and use them for supervised play only, she is too fond of chewing on them for my comfort.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby amazincc » February 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

I went through my whole house and the yard this morning... removed every toy w/a rope as well as the beloved knotted rope ball (which has seen better days, for sure).
Some of that stuff was getting pretty frazzled already, so... :shock: :|

I can only imagine that - in their quest to keep up w/the "Connors" - mine would find a way to come up w/an obstruction of their own in the near future. No, thank you. :rolleyes2: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » February 21st, 2010, 9:03 pm

I've resolved to never have another rope toy in my house after reading about what happened to Connor.

I hope he mends quickly! Still sending good thoughts.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 21st, 2010, 9:46 pm

WOW!! I just read this. I am SO glad he is going to be ok. How scary!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » February 22nd, 2010, 12:31 pm

I'm picking him up at 2:30!

YAY!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 22nd, 2010, 12:50 pm

Woo hoo!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » February 22nd, 2010, 2:05 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm picking him up at 2:30!

YAY!

:woowoo:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » February 22nd, 2010, 5:24 pm

He's home and hanging out on the couch with us. His incision is a bit frightening. He has staples like Frakenstein! lol

They showed me the stuff they pulled out, it was all rope with a big chunk of bone in it. She said that one of the other probably would have come out one or the other end, but the two together was the problem. There was a big knot of rope outside in the snow bank from his vomit on Friday - I only just saw it because the snow melted from around it.

He's on Science Diet for the next week. (No comment) and he has three different medications as well. We can start giving him chicken and rice tomorrow with the ID, but he needs little tiny meals. I'll be bringing him to work all week so I can feed him multiple times.

He's in a lot of pain, he just stands and shakes if he moves too fast. :(

They loved him at the vet and said he was perfect the entire time, even with all the pain he was in. I'm not surprised. :)
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health