medication

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby vetjul » February 20th, 2010, 8:15 am

REcently I had a discussion with my Vet about Alprazolam for my dog. He gave me a prescription but I only got it yesterday and haven't tried it yet. My girl is very nervous. I exercise her and that helps in the house and we have had a trainer come to the house to work with her on walks and that is only a tiny better. She cries whenever she hears a door open from another apartment, hears another dog outside, is aggressive on leash towards other dogs. We take her to the dog park for exercise but we don't take her in the area with other dogs we keep her on her own and she will growl at certain dogs if they come near the fence. This behavior got worse when we moved to an apartment building. I don't know if she is over stimulated or what. It's all normal dog stuff but escalated from a scale of 1 to 10 normal for her is a 5. Has anyone ever tried this medication? At this point we have tried for the past 10 months other non-medicated techniques and nothing is helping enough. I was hoping that maybe with the medication and the other techniques combined she would relax.

thanks
vetjul
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » February 20th, 2010, 8:51 am

This may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam

Take note: "alprazolam discontinuation must be tapered."
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » February 20th, 2010, 2:06 pm

It is an anti-depressant; any anti-depressant should be tapered off. Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience but I have heard from others that it has helped their dogs.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health