Dog eating poop - help!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chaddawg » January 21st, 2010, 5:42 pm

I have caught snoop eating his poop a few times... Is there anything I can do to get him to stop... Plus I had take him to the Vet and they found Bacteria in his poop... Anyone know what would cause that... :?:
Judge The Deed,
Not the Breed,
So Give A Pit bull,
A Try Before,
Sentencing,
Them All To Die,
chaddawg
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 21st, 2010, 7:12 pm

Outside of the obvious (picking up his poo right after he goes :wink: ), there's really not much you can do. I know there are a few home remedies (meat tenderizer) and some formulations that pet stores sell, but I don't know how reliable they are.

What kind of bacteria does he have in his poo?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby chaddawg » January 21st, 2010, 7:17 pm

They never really said just said there was little bit of bacteria... Gave him an amoxcillan two twice aday
Judge The Deed,
Not the Breed,
So Give A Pit bull,
A Try Before,
Sentencing,
Them All To Die,
chaddawg
Just Whelped

Postby blabsforbullies » January 21st, 2010, 7:32 pm

Some bacteria is normal, and honestly, unless the dog is having soft stool or diarrhea/vomiting, I usually don't treat my patients for it. :twocents:

But yes, it can be difficult to be consistent enough with the home remedies to clear the problem. :neutral: Some of my clients have had marvelous success with it, and some not so much. :| You also have to treat any other animals in the house that might be deficating in the same area as well. Immediate pick up is usually the answer, unfortunately.
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby chaddawg » January 24th, 2010, 1:25 am

What kind meat tenderizer would be best ? :|

Marinepits wrote:Outside of the obvious (picking up his poo right after he goes :wink: ), there's really not much you can do. I know there are a few home remedies (meat tenderizer) and some formulations that pet stores sell, but I don't know how reliable they are.

What kind of bacteria does he have in his poo?
Judge The Deed,
Not the Breed,
So Give A Pit bull,
A Try Before,
Sentencing,
Them All To Die,
chaddawg
Just Whelped

Postby pitsnok » January 24th, 2010, 3:27 am

Harlow has a taste for Degan's poop... but not her own. Our vet told us it was just something some dogs do, and unless you pick up their poop, there is not much you can do about it. There is nothing to worry about, it is just pretty gross.
We have been watching Harlow closer when they go out to potty and correct her if she goes hunting poo, and so far that has seemed to help.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 24th, 2010, 9:02 am

I don't know about the bacteria part, but my Lenny Bo Benny LOVES frozen poop-sicles. :nono: I feel for you.... :wave2:

I have four dogs and a nice sized yard, so following them around (especially at night) is not an option for me. I clean up the yard every day. I watch Lenny like a hawk. He still manages to come, licking his chops.

I tried hot sauce on the poop, meat tenderizer (any brand will do), adding more supplements to his diet (I got him at 9 yrs old and he ate Old Roy). Nadda.

So, I have resigned myself to following him when I can, and teaching him the "drop it" scream. :giggle: It worked when he brought a live opossum to my door as a gift.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Ino » January 24th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Ino eats the neighbors German Shepherd's poop (eventhough you can tell he doesn't care for it- it has become a game to try to get me to chase him and a competition with 2 of the neighbor's dogs to get the turd). He also has started hunting for the other neighbor's cats poop and occasionally deer poop. We keep on top of the poop in the yard, but sometimes he gets one from the walking trail. Although it is disgusting-the poop that scares me most is the cats because it lacks vet care and I am pretty sure it has worms and possibly other diseases. Ino's dewormer does not do tapeworm so I'm concerned he could get them from the cat. I recently started using a training leash that I removed the loop handle from for the walks since we do a lot of off leash walking in the woods where I live. The leash drags behind him and allows me to grab him and make him drop the poop if he gets one- otherwise it becomes a game of me trying to catch him and him trying to swallow it while running. So far it is working for that and for his recent game of refusing to give the frizbee or ball back if there is only one around (he will bring it back and drop it at your feet, then pick it back up once you go to grab it and he will run to try to get you to chase him- it was pretty annoying!!! :doh: ).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health