Skin Issues...Vet appt. coming (pics)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 28th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Here are the first 3..........now they're spreading over other parts of his face...and Maybe his leg, I can't tell

I NEED a better camera.........

ANY IDEAS????
He doesnt' seem to scratch at them....but what worries me is they're popping up in other places......
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby plebayo » December 28th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Almost looks like demodex to me. Dogs can get it if their immune system is down or they are stressed. The mite lives on the skin normally without problem, but if the dog gets stressed can cause skin issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodex
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ArtGypsy » December 28th, 2009, 1:24 pm

plebayo wrote:Almost looks like demodex to me. Dogs can get it if their immune system is down or they are stressed. The mite lives on the skin normally without problem, but if the dog gets stressed can cause skin issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodex

:shock: :sad2: Stressed?
This baby LIVES on the -pillow-of-Life.
He doesn't even HAVE CHORES.....

haha..

anyway.........well, they DO seem to be all over his face.... :(

I called the vet--the blizzard has them backed up and they're trying to fit in folks with really sick pets who had to wait the 5-6 days to get in. Understandable.
But it looks like Thursday or Saturday is my best bet....
ArtGypsy

Postby Marinepits » December 28th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Are they just hairless spots or are there bumps as well as the hair loss?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ArtGypsy » December 28th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Marinepits wrote:Are they just hairless spots or are there bumps as well as the hair loss?

It seems that the 'first' ones are a tiny bit bumpy.....
but the newer spots are just hairless.....

Is this what could be wrong with his chin????

DRAT this stupid photobucket and the pixel restrictions. I'm not even sure you can see this.
ArtGypsy

Postby LMM » December 28th, 2009, 1:51 pm

I was also going to suggest demodex. Poor Dar :( hope you get it figured out!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » December 28th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Yeah, his chin and the rest of the spots could definitely be related.

He needs a skin scrape to rule out demodex and I'm guessing that he has a staph infection as well -- they tend to go hand-in-hand. Is Dar itching/chewing a lot?

Mac has been scratching nearly non-stop for the past couple of days, even with his antihistamines, and he woke up with "bully bumps" all over his hind legs and his tail. He's also scratched his armpits and a spot at the top of his head raw, so we're off to the vet tomorrow to pick up some antibiotics for his chronic staph infection. Poor dog. We're going to have to re-test his allergies in the spring.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » December 28th, 2009, 2:02 pm

By the way, have the doc do a couple of skin scrapes in different areas -- the demodex mites don't always show up on a scrape. It may end up being a process of elimination type thing if the doc can't find mites.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby plebayo » December 28th, 2009, 2:08 pm

He probably has a skin infection for sure on his chin, but it could be related to acne...

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/acne.htm

I think overall a vet visit is due when you can get in. :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby ArtGypsy » December 28th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Marinepits wrote:By the way, have the doc do a couple of skin scrapes in different areas -- the demodex mites don't always show up on a scrape. It may end up being a process of elimination type thing if the doc can't find mites.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really appreciate it............. :D
ArtGypsy

Postby Marinepits » December 28th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Here are some pics of Mac's skin issues, for comparison -- I caught this infection early, so the bumps aren't showing up too well, but you can see the flat hairless spots, too. (His skin doesn't look *nearly* so bad in person, LOL. I blew up the pics so you can see detail.) The bumps are a little smaller than the end of a pencil eraser and are generally "hard" to the touch, with no oozing. If I let the infection "build" with no medication, the bumps will start to break open and ooze -- I try not to let it get that far because then he's super-uncomfortable.

Top of his thigh

Just below his knee (which is always pretty hairless)

Right above his tail

And next to his tail, where his tail joins his body

Mac has been tested for demodex mange several times and he's always come up negative. His issues are definitely allergy-related. However, given that Dar's spots are mainly on his head which is where demodex tends to surface, I would definitely get him scraped.

And his chin spots could be acne in addition to demodex/staph infection, so you may be dealing with three separate issues, LOL. At least all are treatable. Welcome to the World of Bully Bumps! :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » December 28th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Someone with authority, kindly change Marinepits title to "Queen of Bully Bumps". 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » December 28th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Yep, looks like Demodex to me too. Reno had it and Leni has it now. If that is what the vet finds, there are some homeopathic remedies for the Demodex if you don't want to use Ivermectin. PM me if you are interested. Antibiotics should clean up any secondary skin infections. Does Dar smell yeasty or like Fritos? (I know weird question!)
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Ino » December 28th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Aww- poor Dar! I don't have any ideas about his problem but I hope his skin condition improves soon.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » December 28th, 2009, 8:21 pm

It definitely looks like demodex to me. Usually it starts around the mouth and eyes. Degan had it when he was younger... it was pretty easy to get rid of as we caught it early. We just had to dip him every night for a week,(i think)... no antibiotics needed or anything.

Good luck!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 29th, 2009, 3:37 am

Macs skin stuff looks like Oscar except less flakey. I'm glad I don't have the only spotty allergy dog :neutral:

Thank DOG for Brindle coats, they make good camo!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 29th, 2009, 8:27 am

pitsnok wrote:It definitely looks like demodex to me. Usually it starts around the mouth and eyes. Degan had it when he was younger... it was pretty easy to get rid of as we caught it early. We just had to dip him every night for a week,(i think)... no antibiotics needed or anything.
!

UHHHHHHHHHHHH I think I'd rather give him antibiotics than DIP him... :shock:

(((((((((oooohhhh doesn't THAT sound FUN,,,))))))))))))))))
ArtGypsy

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2009, 4:00 pm

NO dipping for us either... ugh. :puke:

Antibiotics for secondaray skin infections, and holistic crap for the rest. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » December 29th, 2009, 4:18 pm

amazincc wrote:NO dipping for us either... ugh. :puke:

Antibiotics for secondaray skin infections, and holistic crap for the rest. :wink:

Ditto! I also use a home remedy that works wonders on mange and costs about $5 :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Natalie » December 29th, 2009, 8:41 pm

I vote staph infection. Our last dog had those to varying degrees all his life and we never figured it out. Now we have a new dog with the same thing, new vet (who is awesome!) and sure enough...staph. Make sure you mention it as an idea at your appointment, not all derm-savvy docs will know what to look for. If it is staph, you will probably get a prescription for cephalexin as well as a shampoo with chlorhexidine.

Also, I just found this paper (9http://www.jbc.org/content/256/14/7094.abstract) that shows hydrogen peroxide kills staph. Although the study was done in vitro, not in vivo, I'm trying it with q-tips on my guy's new spots. Good luck!
Natalie
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health