Growth

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby rockermom » May 16th, 2006, 11:32 am

At what age do dogs of bull breed stop growing. I believe that Rocky is about 10 months old. I had been told by most dog owners that dogs are full grown in height at 8 mos but fill out. Rocky still seems to be getting taller definately broader. He now weighs about 50lbs.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 16th, 2006, 11:45 am

usually i heard around 2 years old..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » May 16th, 2006, 11:48 am

Depends on the bloodline/genetics.

If you know the breeder he/she might be able to tell you. If ssyou have a rescue then you won't know.

Some lines can take up to 5 years to totally fill out.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2006, 11:49 am

It seems dogs typically grow until around 1 year - 18mos, in height that is, then when they get done growing "UP" they grow "out" that is, fill out. I'd say until about 2 for an average size dog. Our younger GSD has grown taller and taller and finally filled out about 2-3 years of age.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2006, 12:04 pm

All of mine have finished growing & filling out at around 2. They seem to finish growing "up" at around 12 to 18 months but continue to grow "out" until around 2 years old or so.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rockermom » May 16th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Darn I was hoping he was done he is perfect size for me now. He is a shelter pup. Have no idea what he is or what his size will be. He just seems to be doing the most of growth the past 2 months. I think I will keep track of his measurments now and see if he gets any taller.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » May 16th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Does the age which they were snipped have any factor in their growth?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » May 16th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Does the age which they were snipped have any factor in their growth?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 16th, 2006, 2:03 pm

not that i know of. i have had rescues snipped at 8 weeks old grow to be larger then rufus, and i have had dogs snipped at 5 and 6 months old and be normal size and weight.. genetics has alot to do with the growth.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 16th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Well I guess we will just see. Will let ya know in a a year and 2 months if he contined to grow.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2006, 8:06 pm

There was a discussion a while back about long bones and how the release and production of the testosterone or estrogen in dogs/bitches slows the growth of long bones or regulates it, or makes the growth plates close earlier than if the dog is s/n.
I found it very interesting. Yaeger is taller than the breed standard for GSDs and I always wonder, had we let him mature sexually if he would be closer to the standard for GSDs or if he'd be tall still since most BYB like to grow 'em bigger than the standard...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Justice slowed waaaaay down when she turned 8 months. She grew a little more in height but not much.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » May 16th, 2006, 10:29 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Does the age which they were snipped have any factor in their growth?

Yup, it does.

Usually by 1 year, you'll have a good indication of height, but you won't have full size until around 2, (varying with breed).

Temperment-wise, around 2 years---although Catahoula, I know, can take as long as age 3 for full maturity temperment-wise.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » May 20th, 2006, 2:27 pm

msvette2u wrote:There was a discussion a while back about long bones and how the release and production of the testosterone or estrogen in dogs/bitches slows the growth of long bones or regulates it, or makes the growth plates close earlier than if the dog is s/n.
I found it very interesting. Yaeger is taller than the breed standard for GSDs and I always wonder, had we let him mature sexually if he would be closer to the standard for GSDs or if he'd be tall still since most BYB like to grow 'em bigger than the standard...

Yes, this was a very interesting topic I hadn't heard previously.

The 3 dogs I have had neutered at 6 months (whose lines all produced fairly predictable size) all 3 of them (1 male and 2 females ASTs and GSD) were considerably larger than typical for not only their line, but their breed. But their weight was average, and musculature was average-to-lean.
Luke, male 22" 60lbs. AST,
Alex, female 21" 55lbs. AST,
Kate, female 24+" 75lbs. GSD

where my dogs neutered at 1 y/o + were
Willie, male 18 1/2" 55lbs. AST
Vegas, female 18 1/2" 55lbs. akc/ukc AST
Musculature average-to-better. (better just meaning bigger, more filled out, not super-stocky)

Parents and lines of these dogs were generally within standard. Coincidence?

Either way, I am going to wait to neuter James until at least 8 mos., maybe a year depending on how he matures. Snip, snip, either way... and having that info HAS influenced my decision.

I HAVE noticed in agility (where we know the heights of the dogs), that the young neutered rotties I know are MUCH taller (and leaner) on average than the intact, or over 1 year neutered (stockier) dogs I know.

Are the taller dogs pet quality because of their size and this is the reason they are neutered? and 'standard' dogs kept intact? I doubt it. I know people DO breed bigger... but these dogs are from known lines.
Coincidence?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I found it interesting. What are your experiences, by comparison?
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » May 20th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Very interesting. Rocky is tall. Although not sure of his mix.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health