Arturo is having surgery today

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 15th, 2006, 10:11 am

i just got home from dropping him off at the vets. 2 xrays showed obstructions in his intestines and colon, and he has a belly full of rocks that are too big and sharp to be vomited back up, so the vet is doing surgery on him today

please wish him good thoughts for the surgery and that he pulls thru good. he also might have a pancreatic deficiency as well the vet suggested, so after the rocks are all removed if he poops normal then it was just the rocks., but the vet thinks that because his poop has not been normal for the past month with the exception of 3 days he could have either a parasite or pancreatic issue..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 15th, 2006, 10:19 am

Poor thing! He is in my prayers, let us know what happens :( .
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 15th, 2006, 10:30 am

Oh my! That explains a lot! Keep us updated as soon as you know anything. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » May 15th, 2006, 10:46 am

Does the vet think they've been there since you got him and that's why he's had the diarrhea?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby luvmyangels » May 15th, 2006, 10:48 am

Oh gosh! I am so sorry to hear this. I hope everything will be ok.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby rockermom » May 15th, 2006, 11:00 am

Awwww Best Wishes for him. THis stuff is so scary to me with all the crap Rocky eats.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 15th, 2006, 11:02 am

Little snot!!! At least you ( maybe) have some answers as to his problem. Good luck Arturo!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » May 15th, 2006, 11:03 am

Poor Arturo! No wonder he was feeling so bad!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 15th, 2006, 11:05 am

the vet thinks that it could be the problem, as the old owner told me she used to let him eat rocks and stuff when she had him, the rocks some passed but the bigger ones didnt, so he doesnt know if the big rocks are frommy yard or the owners yard... i am changing his name to rocky.. he was so sad looking when i left him this morning..

i knew something was up as he does alot of sleeping, eating grass, and only gained 7 lbs with me, while his brother has gained 11 lbs in his foster home, and the boiled rice , chicken, and pumpkin werent working..

i will be getting a call later once the surgery is done. the vet said with the size of the large rocks in his stomach there was no way they would have passed, they would have blocked him more and he would have died eventually..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 15th, 2006, 11:06 am

Wow - I am so glad he's with you so he can get the care he needs. I'm glad you recognized the problem and can deal with it...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby turtle » May 15th, 2006, 11:30 am

Poor pup! He'll feel much better after he gets rid of the rocks. And 2 obstructions in his bowel? That's not good, probably more junk he ate before he was rescued. Good luck to him!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Purple » May 15th, 2006, 11:33 am

Oh, the poor guy. Sending positive thoughts his way.
Purple
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 15th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Keeping him in my prayers. Please update us as soon as you have some info!!! (I am glad that you were able to figure out what was causing all his tummy issues...if someone else was taking care of him, then who knows)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » May 15th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Poor guy, hope all goes wonderfully and he's back running around in no time.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » May 15th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Oh, good thoughts to you and Arturo! Fingers and paws crossed, here.

We went through a very similar situation with Mac, except he had eaten an entire tennis ball (at his doggy day care) that eventually got lodged in his intestine. He was probably 4 months old when he ate the ball and around 8 months old when he had it removed. After the vet removed the blockage, Mac had an unbelievable growth spurt -- in the 6 months following that surgery, he gained over fifty pounds!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Asta » May 15th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Oh wow...Poor Arturo :( No wonder he has been feeling under the weather! He should only know how lucky he is to have you as his owner!!! Hope all goes smooth :)

Cheers,

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby rockermom » May 15th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Marinepits wrote:Oh, good thoughts to you and Arturo! Fingers and paws crossed, here.

We went through a very similar situation with Mac, except he had eaten an entire tennis ball (at his doggy day care) that eventually got lodged in his intestine. He was probably 4 months old when he ate the ball and around 8 months old when he had it removed. After the vet removed the blockage, Mac had an unbelievable growth spurt -- in the 6 months following that surgery, he gained over fifty pounds!

Wow thats some growth!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Jesseca » May 15th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Oh my. Give Arturo a big kiss for me, and let us know how he's doing.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby pocketpit » May 15th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a diarrhea free house!!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 15th, 2006, 4:56 pm

heard from the vet. arturo was in surgery for 2 hours. the vet removed 8 large gravel type rocks from his stomach and intestines.. the 9th rock already had made its way to his colon, and is small enough to be passed as the vet cant get at it.. he removed 7 rocks at first, per the xrays, then xrayed him again and found the last 2, then went in to remove the last 2 and got the 8th, but the 9th rock had already travelled to his colon, so he didnt want to open him up again (and this was after feeling the intestines inch by inch to make sure he didnt miss any)
so i have to get him at 5:30 and give him nothing but chicken and beef broth tonight and tomorrow morning, then tomorrow night give him this I/D wet food for a few days, and the vet is also giving me an antibiotic to give to him incase its a single cell parasite since he came from georgia. the vet said the parasites down south are different then up here, and if the meds for that doesnt work then he will give me a sample of pancreatic meds to try .. of course, if he has solid poop after the surgery then we know it was the rocks and stuff he ate... if not, its back to square one to find out what kind of parasite or pancreatic issue he has...
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health