Anyone have experience giving Ace?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 10:31 am

I am about to give him this Ace and see what happens. I will give it a little while and then take him for a ride and see how he acts.

Erin, I was going to get some Rescue Remedy to have on hand anyway.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Do you think it worked :o

madremissy

Postby Marinepits » July 24th, 2009, 2:32 pm

LMAO Poor little stinker is STONED!!! :shock:

How's he doing otherwise?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 2:39 pm

:giggle:

Happy travels. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » July 24th, 2009, 2:39 pm

madremissy wrote:Where do you get that Dee?

I get mine at the grocery store, but they have it at health food stores too.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Marinepits wrote:LMAO Poor little stinker is STONED!!! :shock:

How's he doing otherwise?

The real test was when Mckinlee was walking around eating goldfish. He is usually right on her heals. He didn't budge off the couch.
madremissy

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 3:42 pm

We used to use Ace, but after what happened last weekend we're done with it.

I called my vet two weeks ago because I wanted to up the dose for Ruby because one pill wasn't doing the job, so spoke to the vet and she said two would be ok. I asked her about Xanax on that phone call, but she said that she hadn't prescribed it before but she was heading to a conference the next week and one full day was on canine anxiety so I should call her when I get back. Until then, she would put up another Ace prescription for me. I didn't have a chance to stop and pick it up, but I had a few at home so I just used those.

I dosed Ruby and Connor on Saturday at 4. On Sunday evening they were both still squinty eyed and not walking well.

I spoke to my vet again, and told her she could just put the pills back into their bottle because I wasn't going to give it to them again at that dosage, and 1 pill wasn't enough. She said that part of the problem is likely that our dogs are a "true" 50 pounds, instead of a lot of dogs who are 50 pounds, but really they are 40 pounds of body with 10 pounds of fat on top.

She agreed to let me try the Xanax for Ruby. I gave her .25mg when there was a serious thunderstorm rolling through and it worked like magic. We actually thought she was doing ok in her crate, but then she came trotting through the living room - covered in slime and shaking and panting. In under 10 minutes she was sleeping calmly in her chair.

The other thing about Ace that my vet told me is that it is not like valium for people. On valium, you get calm, but your brain shuts down as well so you don't have clear memory of the event if you have any memory at all. Ace just shuts the body down, but the brain is active - so even though the dog is still feeling all of the same anxiety and panic, it just can't display the symptoms. So they are just as terrified but can't show it.

My experience with xanax. One year we were at the lake and had Precious then. We were camping and was in the camper. Huge thunderstorm came rolling in. She was my dog that was deathly afraid of rain and thunder. Being in the camper the noise was amplified (don't know if that is a word) so she was scared beyond words. I gave her a 1/4 of a .5 mg of xanax. Within 15 minutes she could hardly walk. I had thought I killed her. She was fine and slept the rest of the night.

So you effectively gave her .125 mg. Ruby's dose at 50 pounds is .25 - .5mg so I'm guessing that you gave her an amount that was at the uppermost limits for her size.

My other experience: The other night I gave Gotty 2 1.0 mg and it did absolutely nothing. All it did was make his big goofy self that much more playful and goofier. I was trying to get him relaxed enought to cut his nails

How big is he?

From the way you posted, it doesn't sound like you aren't getting the dosages (or the pills) from your vet? I know it's the same drug, but dosages are definitely not the same or even "scaleable". I don't know if the breed is affected by Xanax, but there are a LOT of drugs that are fine for one breed but can kill another. DEFINITELY talk to your vet about any drugs you are giving your dog.

Jenifer, The benadryl does nothing. He gets that when he gets itchy and I tried that when we went to the lake. Didn't do a thing.

How much are you giving? A dog's benedryl dosage is MUCH higher than a human's dosage. For example, we give Ruby up to 6 pills to have an effect - I weigh three times more than she does and I only take one.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2009, 3:58 pm

did you take him for a drive? How was that?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 4:18 pm

I spoke with the vet and this is all that she recommended for me to use at this time. I took him out for a ride and he did fine. He laid down and was very calm. His heart was not racing, he was not panting or anything. I didn't mean for my picture to be deceiving to anyone. When Sammy gets very relaxed he does sleep like that in my arms. But he is just very relaxed in those pictures but isn't passed out. I didn't mean to make it look like he was passed out cold. I apologize for the misrepresentation. :oops:

How big is he?
He weighs 62 lbs. He was did get relaxed enough to lay down and sleep next to me but as soon as I went to cut his nails he would jump up. I think the trauma of him getting quicked before is still to much on his mind and I haven't really taken the time that I should to really get him disensitized to that.

From the way you posted, it doesn't sound like you aren't getting the dosages (or the pills) from your vet? I know it's the same drug, but dosages are definitely not the same or even "scaleable". I don't know if the breed is affected by Xanax, but there are a LOT of drugs that are fine for one breed but can kill another. DEFINITELY talk to your vet about any drugs you are giving your dog

I did talk to a vet about giving Gotty the xanax that I had and that is the dose she recommended. I am not going to take the chance to kill my dogs ever. When I gave precious the xanax at the lake I had talked to my vet about something for her for a long time but never gave her anything. The vet had recommended a 1/4 of a tablet for me to try but like I said I never tried it until then for the thunderstorms. I gave it to her then because we were in closed quarters and the noise was intensified.

[/quote]How much are you giving? A dog's benedryl dosage is MUCH higher than a human's dosage. For example, we give Ruby up to 6 pills to have an effect - I weigh three times more than she does and I only take one.[/quote]

I give Sammy 2 per the vet's advice. I can give Kinzyl the same dose and it puts her right to sleep. Just like humans I believe that all dogs react differently to different drugs.

Sammy has been fine since I gave him the 1/2 tablet. He did fine on the ride and has been up and down. One thing he didn't do though was bark when Daddy got home. :) Which is a good thing :wink:
madremissy

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 4:24 pm

mnp13 wrote:
The other thing about Ace that my vet told me is that it is not like valium for people. On valium, you get calm, but your brain shuts down as well so you don't have clear memory of the event if you have any memory at all. Ace just shuts the body down, but the brain is active - so even though the dog is still feeling all of the same anxiety and panic, it just can't display the symptoms. So they are just as terrified but can't show it.

No vet has EVER explained it like that to me. >( :mad2:
I would've never, ever agreed to use this on Mick... I was always told that it's very effective in calming down an anxious/fearful/aggressive dog. Bastids. :bs: :x
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 4:30 pm

amazincc wrote: No vet has EVER explained it like that to me. >( :mad2:
I would've never, ever agreed to use this on Mick... I was always told that it's very effective in calming down an anxious/fearful/aggressive dog. Bastids. :bs: :x

That's how she explained it to me on Tuesday, though she hadn't explained it like that before. It may have been something she learned at the seminar, I don't know.

Someone told me the same thing a while ago (Katrina, I'm thinking it was it you maybe?), and though I listened to what I was being told, I didn't have any other options open to me at that time so I just "filed" the information in my head somewhere. I remembered it again when my vet was telling me the same thing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Um, I think I disagree :|

I asked for something for Oscar when we moved and my vet prescribed Ace (didn't end up needing it, though), I trust him and his knowledge and expertise and obviously he feels that it can be used with anxiety.

I think it depends on the dog. I find it quite calming for Oscar. I think it depends on the level of anxiety, as well.

No drug has consistent reactions in all dogs, I've seen dogs that ace doesn't touch them, or if it does, it doesn't make them less anxious, it just slows them down. I've seen dogs become hyper excited on Benedryl, too.

The same goes for the narcotics we use at work.

I'll often see patients that have been given Ace at work snoring, I have to assume that if they are sleeping, that they are probably quite relaxed :|

If we are talking long term anxiety, then this is a different story and there are different and better drugs in a chronic type of situation.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 4:38 pm

amazincc wrote:
mnp13 wrote:

No vet has EVER explained it like that to me. >( :mad2:

Michelle, it must've been me...I knew vets were doing it, but my friend Paula (who teaches at a veterinary school) actually explained why...so it sounds like something i might pass on to you b/c I know we've discussed anxiety in dogs...and meds...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Well, it explains a LOT, in hindsight. We tried it a total of three times, and then I refused to give it to him again before vet visits, and for the specific purpose of making him more co-operative.

He was also on it for several weeks after his eye surgery, and as long as he took it at home (familiar and stress-free) he seemed to do very well while taking it.

You should sticky that explanation somewhere. Great info for people who have "vet situations" w/their fearful/aggressive/anxious dog(s).
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 4:50 pm

amazincc wrote:Well, it explains a LOT, in hindsight. We tried it a total of three times, and then I refused to give it to him again before vet visits, and for the specific purpose of making him more co-operative.

He was also on it for several weeks after his eye surgery, and as long as he took it at home (familiar and stress-free) he seemed to do very well while taking it.

You should sticky that explanation somewhere. Great info for people who have "vet situations" w/their fearful/aggressive/anxious dog(s).

Totally agree...it did nothing for Rocky when he was put in a stressful situation (which was most of the time)...and I wonder if we had tried it with valium if there would've been a difference...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Malli wrote:
If we are talking long term anxiety, then this is a different story and there are different and better drugs in a chronic type of situation.

No-one ever told me... that's my point. All the vets Mick ever saw SWORE by Ace, like it was supposed to induce some sort of miracle.
I would've liked to have known that there are other options for chronic situations. In our case they just upped the dosage each time. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 24th, 2009, 5:16 pm

hmm, by chronic I meant daily type stuff. Mick wasn't constantly anxious was he? :neutral:

Thats the thing, I think it CAN help an anxious dog's anxiety, depending on the dog. I do agree though, that they should have offered you another option - but we know that your old vet wasn't top notch! :wink:

I've seen dogs with severe aggression issues become MUCH more cooperative with it. And, I've seen dogs with aggression issues become drunk, and still aggressive, it just depends, on the circumstances, on when the sedation is given, and on the animals own bodily system's reaction to the medication as well.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Malli wrote:hmm, by chronic I meant daily type stuff. Mick wasn't constantly anxious was he? :neutral:

Thats the thing, I think it CAN help an anxious dog's anxiety, depending on the dog. I do agree though, that they should have offered you another option - but we know that your old vet wasn't top notch! :wink:

I've seen dogs with severe aggression issues become MUCH more cooperative with it. And, I've seen dogs with aggression issues become drunk, and still aggressive, it just depends, on the circumstances, on when the sedation is given, and on the animals own bodily system's reaction to the medication as well.

Oooh, I misunderstood... Mick was fine as long as he had his familiar routine.
But the drunken wobble while trying to lunge at the vet... yep, that was us. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » July 24th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Sammy was never an "anxious" dog. EVER.

When we moved in to this new house about 3 years ago he freaked. After about a week of living here he started to get seperation anxiety bad. I had just quit working a month before so it is not like I was leaving him more than usual it was actually less. He tunred into a termite. He tore about door frames, window frames, wooden blinds. I starting putting him in a small wire kennel when I would have to leave but when I came home he had pried the bars together and got out a very small hole. It scared me so bad that he was going to hurt himself.
I took him to the vet and his vet then recommended either a therapist or drugs. Well I couldn't see myself coming home and telling Travis that we would have to get a therapist for Sammy so I opted for the long term drug. I can't remember what it was but I assume it was something like Prozac. He took it for about 2 months and I worked on some behavior modifications when I went to leave. Shaking the keys and showing him that was alright. Really can't remember what all I did. :oops:

This anxiety with him in the car started in the last year or so. He used to ride beautifully but has gotten worse. So this Ace is for just his ride for a long period to Florida.

He is calm at everything else, fireworks, gunfire, thunderstorms etc. He is also over his seperation anxiety. After he was on the medication for those 2 months and after I weaned him off he has been fine ever since.

Right now Sammy is laying on the ottoman watching Mckinlee play with the tupperware in the cabinets.
madremissy

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 6:05 pm

madremissy wrote:
This anxiety with him in the car started in the last year or so. He used to ride beautifully but has gotten worse. So this Ace is for just his ride for a long period to Florida.

I'm glad you found something that will help him. :clap: :)

What exactly does he do in the car now when he gets anxious?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health