Mindy got hurt today...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby juniper8204 » July 24th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Just got off the phone with the vet...they said she is wide awake and ready to come home, so as soon as my clothes finish drying, I'll be on my way to get her. I'll let you guys know everything and try to post some pics as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts!!!
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » July 24th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Sorry I missed this, and glad to hear she's going to be ok. Poor girl, and you as well!!

If I were you I would immediately take photos of my dog, print them out, or bring them with me and go directly to the city and let them know what happened. Someone can get seriously injured obviously, and they need to do something about it.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby juniper8204 » July 24th, 2009, 4:43 pm

That's a good idea, Jenn. I already have two pics of her with her wounds stitched up...and I was already thinking about going out and taking pictures of the pike. What if that had been my 3 year old? ya know?

She's doing fine. I'll give a more descriptive update once I can post the pictures of her.
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Is she home yet?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby juniper8204 » July 24th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Here are some pics of the pike she hit

See how difficult it is to see it? It's not the tall one in the water...it's right in front of the green bushy stuff to the left of the tall one.

And of Mindy just a little while ago... :sad2:

It's amazing how fast something like this can happen. She has about 20 stitches total.

She's on Novox (generic Rimadyl) twice a day, Tramadol twice a day, and Cephalexin 500mg twice a day. It's a good thing her food (Innova Evo) has probiotics in it...I'm also mixing in a little cottage cheese to help put good bacteria back in her gut.

She's a bit out of it...I'm guessing because of the Tramadol and because it hurts, but I have a feeling as the days go on, I'm going to have a hard time keeping her still.

I'm planning on contacting the city about putting some sort of cushion or having the pikes painted bright orange...the way they are right now makes it very hard to see them. I keep thinking "what if this had been my daughter and she'd fallen face first on this thing" then I get mad all over again and want to beat someone over the head. :x
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 24th, 2009, 5:57 pm

juniper8204 wrote:Here are some pics of the pike she hit

See how difficult it is to see it? It's not the tall one in the water...it's right in front of the green bushy stuff to the left of the tall one.

And of Mindy just a little while ago... :sad2:

It's amazing how fast something like this can happen. She has about 20 stitches total.

She's on Novox (generic Rimadyl) twice a day, Tramadol twice a day, and Cephalexin 500mg twice a day. It's a good thing her food (Innova Evo) has probiotics in it...I'm also mixing in a little cottage cheese to help put good bacteria back in her gut.

She's a bit out of it...I'm guessing because of the Tramadol and because it hurts, but I have a feeling as the days go on, I'm going to have a hard time keeping her still.

I'm planning on contacting the city about putting some sort of cushion or having the pikes painted bright orange...the way they are right now makes it very hard to see them. I keep thinking "what if this had been my daughter and she'd fallen face first on this thing" then I get mad all over again and want to beat someone over the head. :x

:shock: They are definitely nasty!

Tramadol will definitely knock her out...and it's probably better for her!

I'm not sure , but if you have to keep her still, and have a hard time doing so, you may want to call your vet...for Dru they did have to bump her up to 3 tramadol 3x a day, and 1 xanax 3x a day...Obviously, don't do anything until you talk to your vet...

Good luck...butt scritches and good thoughts coming from here!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 24th, 2009, 5:59 pm

OUWIE!!! :shock:

Definitely speak to someone about that pike... wtf were they thinking, leaving it there??? :rolleyes2: :crazy2:

Butt scratches to the little trooper... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 24th, 2009, 6:17 pm

:shock:

OUCH!

I'm glad she's on the mend. It looks like they didn't have to put any drains in, so the wounds should close up faster, right?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 24th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Holy crap - nothing like a puncture would from rusty metal. :shock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby juniper8204 » July 24th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Yeah, no drains, so that's definitely a plus...hopefully it will be a clean and healthy healing process with no hitches.

Good thing my best friend is my vet (not for the surgery...she wasn't home when it happened), so all my meds I'm getting at cost with no markup. If she can't sit still, I'm sure I can ask Jen and she'll either up the dose of Tramadol or give me some reeeeeeallllly good meds like Valium. That'll knock the waggle butt out for sure! :D
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby juniper8204 » August 5th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that Mindy got her stitches out yesterday and has made a full recovery with no bumps in the road! :confetti:
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 5th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Woot! :rock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Pit♥bull » August 5th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Hooray for no 'bumps' :dance:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » August 5th, 2009, 4:25 pm

YAY!!! :clap: :confetti:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 5th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Yay!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » August 6th, 2009, 3:14 am

woo woo Mindy! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TinaMartin » August 6th, 2009, 8:40 am

Good News!!!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » August 6th, 2009, 11:03 am

Yay! Great news for Mindy!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » August 6th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Yay for Mindy :)

Did you go to the city and ask the posts be removed?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby juniper8204 » August 6th, 2009, 5:41 pm

I did. The Monday after I took the pictures, in fact. I've followed up on it, and apparently, the pike is there to hold up a log to help prevent erosion, but they said that they are looking into putting some form of padding around it so another episode like this doesn't happen again! WOOT!
Jen

juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health