Please, good thoughts and prayers...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pocketpit » July 9th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Even with extra sticheds and fresh wounds, I'll bet Dru has got to feel a lot better. Still sending good thought for everyone!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » July 9th, 2009, 2:55 pm

CONGRATS on nine healthy puppies!!!! :D

RIP to the other three little ones... :sad2:

Good thoughts still going out to Dru and you... you two are gonna have your hands and paws full! :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » July 9th, 2009, 4:05 pm

The 3 that didn't make it, may have been a blessing in disguise. And, lets face it, sadly, they are not all meant to live.

I am glad that she was seen and hopefully now this will be the end of it. I am also glad that Asja has agreed to help out! ;) You guys are like a true wolf pack, or something :lol3: everyone is chipping in to care for the babies :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » July 9th, 2009, 4:06 pm

oh yeah, remember only 3-4 weeks until they start to eat solids! Just keep truckin' Katrina and Dru!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » July 9th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Thank you, everyone...I'm going to be taking a couple of pups to drop off this weekend with foster parents who have offered to foster raise them for me (which is so awesome)...

Asja has been simply awesome...people who study wolves always say that in a pack the other females will help when one has puppies...that's what has happened here!

I'll get some more pics and post them later!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby blabsforbullies » July 9th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Glad all is well, and everyone is on the way to healing! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Leslie H » July 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Sounds like things are going as well as they might. I don't envy you with all those mouths to feed, they're beautiful though. I hope Dru can stay on the puppysafe antibiotics.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby hugapitbull » July 10th, 2009, 6:17 am

Good for you Katrina, noticing something just wasn't quite right. Dru is still with you because of your instinct. Beautiful pups, they look so big, and their fur is gorgeous. Hang in there, you guys are going to be fine.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby katiek0417 » July 10th, 2009, 6:35 am

Thank you everyone. Dru seems to be on the mend, slowly...

She's been a bit anxious this morning - I'm sure she hears her babies...her milk has come in a bit more, and Dr. Jaffe wants us to try to let them nurse off of her again today...they're getting better with suckling, so maybe it will be less painful for her (and she has more milk)...

I'm surprised, but she's also not bruised at all...after the first surgery, you guys saw the pics, she was extremely bruised...but she hasn't been this time, even though they had to do more...

She is also more hungry now...I'm thinking a combination of so many puppies in her belly, and overall not feeling well was making her not eat before...but she's eating for me regularly now - and doesn't seem to be as thirsty...

Shanna, I am SO happy I followed my instincts...it's really weird...sometimes, with the dogs, I over-react and get freaked out over nothing...but this was different...I was in tears when I called Dr. Jaffe on Wednesday morning...it's like I KNEW those puppies had to get out of her, and her belly had to be opened up...

Maybe the vet techs can chime in on this: is it weird that when I took Dru to the vet for a follow-up on tuesday with the one who did the surgery last week that they didn't take a temperature and he just looked at her belly from a couple of feet away with her in a sitting position?

I don't know...my friend Heather was here yesterday helping me feed, and we were talking about how that doctor assured me that there was no infection, and she was surprised when I told her what his exam consisted of, and was very surprised he didn't even take her temperature (even just to check)...

As for the puppies...well, they're getting to be little porkers! :rolleyes2: Here's my question, one of them seems to be getting a little diaper rash from Asja's cleanings...is there anything I can do for that?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » July 10th, 2009, 7:48 am

Katrina, you should be VERY PROUD of yourself handling all of this. I know I am! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hundilein » July 10th, 2009, 9:58 am

Katrina, you are amazing. Good thoughts continue to flow for you, Dru and the puppies.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » July 10th, 2009, 10:20 am

They should have taken the temperature, especially since she had a wound that was non-surgical in the first place, there's no hurt in making sure and it's not a costly/time wasting time to do - although maybe they knew you monitored her temp since she was about to whelp, and tought you'd have noticed first?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby LMM » July 10th, 2009, 11:59 am

Omg they are simply precious! :shock: I will continue with good thoughts for quick healing for Dru!

RIP to the 3 little sweeties who didn't make it :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby katiek0417 » July 10th, 2009, 1:22 pm

call2arms wrote:They should have taken the temperature, especially since she had a wound that was non-surgical in the first place, there's no hurt in making sure and it's not a costly/time wasting time to do - although maybe they knew you monitored her temp since she was about to whelp, and tought you'd have noticed first?

But they hadn't asked me if I took her temperature! :rolleyes2: :shock:

I don't know...not going back there...

Thank you everyone for your continued good thoughts...

Dru has been very restless today...so when Greg gets home, we're going to try to let her feed the pups...hopefully that will settle her down.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Malli » July 10th, 2009, 1:53 pm

um, yeah, I'm not a tech, but I think they should have taken her temp, too. Often vets at my work will do something like a temperature simply because the owner is concerned (we have to work harder with clients since we don't generally see any of them regularly, so sometimes we have to "prove" ourselves), to show them that either the temperature is or isn't a concern...

She's probably not as bruised because we're getting to tissue that didn't have trauma to it (from the actual event), you may see bruising surface in a day or two...

What about diaper rash cream? I know we suggested that for a dog with spinal issues recently that we released(irritated bum), but I'm not sure whether we thought she would lick it, or not. Though I imagine anything for babies would at least be non-toxic to people?

I'm really surprised that the Vet would feel so confident when he knows that the laceration was caused but something totally not sterile. However, we can never know for sure, without reading his mind, what he was thinking :wink:
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » July 11th, 2009, 2:46 am

Congrats on the puppies! They're just beautiful. :heartbeat:

Sending healing thoughts to Dru. :goodthoughts:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » July 11th, 2009, 8:33 am

What a story...glad you followed your instincts, Katrina! Glad also to hear that everyone is doing well! :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby kera09 » July 11th, 2009, 9:09 am

i just saw this!!!!! glad everyone is doing a bit better!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby GloriasMom » July 11th, 2009, 11:00 am

Oh her poor sore tummy! I know you and she will work this out together so the puppies get everything they need and she doesn't get hurt by them. My only concern is for her pain and fear when it happened. I know she's getting lots of cuddles. I hope they could find a pain med that won't harm her babies.

I'm not anti-breeding. I'm anti-idiot-breeding. If someone with good stable dogs doesn't pass these characteristics along to a new generation we will be left with nothing but pit bulls bred by backyard breeders. I'm sorry the 3 didn't make it. Puppies are pretty tough and little ones who don't survive with good care have something wrong. It's sad, but it happens. Way back when I bred collies I used to lose at least one out of every litter. :(

Hugs, to all of you and those precious babies. Enjoy them now, because it won't be long before they are loud, busy little poop machines.
Come and see our Gang. 9 of them still live here....whew!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/holeinthewallrescue/
GloriasMom
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » July 11th, 2009, 3:21 pm

UPDATE, please!!! :?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health