Please, good thoughts and prayers...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katiek0417 » July 6th, 2009, 1:46 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Hope last night was a good one!

Very good...she slept. I slept...it was nice...still having some trouble with her eating however...

TinaMartin wrote:Wow! I just read this. I'm sorry that she thought she was a kangaroo. All of the puppies will be ok cause we say so! Hope she is feeling better today.

Tina, that is exactly what I'm hoping for. I know the power of PBT! She and her puppies will be okay because of all of you!

blabsforbullies wrote:I was out of town all weekend, so I am just now seeing this. :shock:

First of all, I am hoping the very best for all of you!!!

Secondly, the incision looks pretty reasonable for what was done. :thumbsup: The darkness around the incision itself is likely bruising. Sometimes, when there is a lot of tension around the incision (ie: it is tough to close), there may be some small pieces of skin that don't have adequate blood supply and may slough. I would think after she has the pups, the tension will decrease and then it will become more of a "keeping it clean issue" (which I know you will do :wink: ). Time will tell here. It may take several days for the skin to "declare" itself as healthy or not, but it looks, from the pictures, that she is doing well.

I hope that you are all holding up! :hug3: Please keep us posted! :goodthoughts:

Thank you Dr. Blabs :hug3: Sometimes hearing stuff from a vet makes us feel MUCH better. My other vet (Adam) said the same thing today when I spoke to him. Thank you for confirming what he said. I've really been worried about all that bruising and blackness around the wound...

Do you think when she's nursing I should try to cover the wound? I don't want any puppies trying to suckle off those nipples...I can't imagine that would be pleasant! However, I don't want to take them away from her (unless she rejects them - though she was an excellent mommy last time so I would only think that would happen if she's in severe pain)...but I don't want them causing her pain.

madremissy wrote:Still sending good thoughts to Dru for her to heal. Pretty soon it will be time to send good thoughts for a safe and speedy delivery. :hug3:

amazincc wrote:How's the patient this morning???

Missy suggested that we go for short little walks (nothing long), and I really think it's helping her. First I think it's burning off some of that crazy herder energy. Second, I think it's making her sleepy. That's a very good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

So, we have a little routine. First, I take her cone off! Then, we go out (on leash) and she potties...then we walk down the block about 3-4 houses down (depending on time of day/heat level) then we walk back...Then she gets a big bowl of water (she's been very thirsty), then I try to feed her (she won't really eat). Then we do her warm compresses and her temperature...

As of this morning, she was holding steady at 100.

LMM wrote:I just saw the pics Katrina :shock:

:( Yeah...it's ugly!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 6th, 2009, 6:50 pm

I hope she is doing better! Sorry I just saw this... Hugs and prayers1
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby cheekymunkee » July 6th, 2009, 11:28 pm

I hope she is feeling better! And she has healthy puppies soon!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 4:52 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:I hope she is doing better! Sorry I just saw this... Hugs and prayers1

Thank you!

cheekymunkee wrote:I hope she is feeling better! And she has healthy puppies soon!

Tomorrow is the first day in her due date range....so I guess tomorrow really starts the puppy watch...her belly looks less, but at the same time, more bruised than before...which makes no sense to me, but you'd have to see it...I'm hoping for sooner rather than later with these pups!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby hugapitbull » July 7th, 2009, 5:18 am

katiek0417 wrote:Tomorrow is the first day in her due date range....so I guess tomorrow really starts the puppy watch...her belly looks less, but at the same time, more bruised than before...which makes no sense to me, but you'd have to see it...I'm hoping for sooner rather than later with these pups!

With Trouble's incision site, we continued to see increased bruising for about a week. Then gradually it began to fade.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 8:37 pm

I just got back from the vet with Dru...the skin on that bruised area has died...she will not be able to nurse any of her puppies...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Oh, crap, Katrina... I'm so sorry. :sad2:

Now what? Are you actually going to bottle-feed NINE pups???? :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 8:53 pm

amazincc wrote:Oh, crap, Katrina... I'm so sorry. :sad2:

Now what? Are you actually going to bottle-feed NINE pups???? :shock:

I don't know...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » July 7th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Enlist friends! Everyone loves puppies! Maybe you will be stuck doing the "2 a.m." feeding, but surely you can get help from your dog group!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 9:04 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Enlist friends! Everyone loves puppies! Maybe you will be stuck doing the "2 a.m." feeding, but surely you can get help from your dog group!

It's sad to say...but I don't have a ton of friends in this area...and I would feel bad asking for help...it's a lot to ask of anyone...

Besides, most of the people we train with are guys...
Last edited by katiek0417 on July 7th, 2009, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 7th, 2009, 9:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Katrina. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » July 7th, 2009, 9:11 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
It's sad to say...but I don't have a ton of friends in this area...and I would feel bad asking for help...it's a lot to ask of anyone...

ASK for help... no need to feel bad... the puppies need you. :wink:

Any of your friends have a nursing bitch who could help out? :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 9:14 pm

amazincc wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:

ASK for help... no need to feel bad... the puppies need you. :wink:

Any of your friends have a nursing bitch who could help out
? :|

That was my first thought...but either the dogs will whelp too late, or they're already done with puppies...that would've been perfect...that and going back in time and breeding sacha since she was in the heat at the same time as Dru, and having her whelp at the same time, then I'd have her lol

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » July 7th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry the tissue died, poor Dru... What are they planning to do as far as debridement/removing of skin in the area?

And, maybe you can check the local shelters and breeders for a bitch who has lost puppies/is not dry yet?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Hoyden » July 7th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Holy mother of Dogs.

I just saw this post with Gremlin looking over my shoulder instead of in bed. She's lighting healing candles for Dru and the puppies as we speak. I'll print out a picture of Dru for her "Doggie Alter".

We're sending as much healing energy your way as we can.

Hugs for all of you.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2009, 10:57 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I just got back from the vet with Dru...the skin on that bruised area has died...she will not be able to nurse any of her puppies...

I don't understand, why won't she be able to nurse?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 11:03 pm

call2arms wrote:Oh, I'm so sorry the tissue died, poor Dru... What are they planning to do as far as debridement/removing of skin in the area?

And, maybe you can check the local shelters and breeders for a bitch who has lost puppies/is not dry yet?

They said that if the skin sloughs before she whelps, then they'll do a c-section and repair of her skin at the same time...

Right now the area is really big b/c of the puppies...but the vet said if she whelps normal, we can wait to see how big the area is after she whelps...then he'll go in and cut out all the dead skin, sew her back up, and she'll be on antibiotics for quite some time...

I had to ask him, but he told me I shouldn't have to put her down b/c of this...he said it might take a few months to fully heal...but she'll be okay...

I just contacted my contact in malinois rescue...they picked up a female that I know who ended up being preggers and had puppies...but they're 6 weeks old...so the pups might be weaned...but it's worth a try...

And a friend, who was apparently sent from heaven, has offered to foster and raise some for me...

Hoyden wrote:Holy mother of Dogs.

I just saw this post with Gremlin looking over my shoulder instead of in bed. She's lighting healing candles for Dru and the puppies as we speak. I'll print out a picture of Dru for her "Doggie Alter".

We're sending as much healing energy your way as we can.

Hugs for all of you.

Thank you, Noel...and please thank Gremlin for me :hug3:

I don't understand, why won't she be able to nurse?

Once the skin sloughs, she will need another surgery to close her up again...and it will apparently be very painful - not a good combination when puppies are crawling all over you...and it could lead to infection...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby call2arms » July 7th, 2009, 11:07 pm

Ouch, yes. Mending skin after you've removed a large piece of it has to be really painful, and tight.

Dru, you're not allowed to ever think about possibly maybe perhaps looking at a fence with intents of jumping it, ever ever again.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » July 7th, 2009, 11:29 pm

call2arms wrote:Ouch, yes. Mending skin after you've removed a large piece of it has to be really painful, and tight.

Dru, you're not allowed to ever think about possibly maybe perhaps looking at a fence with intents of jumping it, ever ever again.

We had that talk...we'll have it again.

Here's my problem...do I think she'd probably let puppies nurse even though she was in severe pain? yes. She let 6 week old puppies nurse last year even though her nipples were bleeding...yet she wouldn't let me clean them...

However, that being said...how much pain do I want to inflict on my dog. Yes, she'd probably be willing to take it...but is that fair to her?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » July 7th, 2009, 11:41 pm

katiek0417 wrote:However, that being said...how much pain do I want to inflict on my dog. Yes, she'd probably be willing to take it...but is that fair to her?

She'll probably let instinct guide her: "let puppies nurse." However, no, I don't think it would be fair to her.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health