rash

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby jcoffey917 » May 19th, 2009, 7:08 pm

I noticed today after work that Cooper's belly looked a little rashy, but he didn't seem to be itchy at all or like it was bothering him so I didn't know if i should bring him in to the vet or wait it out a little. Our grass had gotten a bit long so I thought maybe that just irritated him. Does this look like something I should take him in for?

jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » May 19th, 2009, 8:09 pm

If it were me, I would wash it with mild soap and warm water and see how it looks tomorrow.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby blabsforbullies » May 19th, 2009, 8:34 pm

From the picture, it looks like a mild skin infection. It may require antibiotics, but cleaning wouldn't the wrong thing to do. Watch for itching, licking, and it getting worse or more wide spread. :(
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Malli » May 20th, 2009, 3:47 am

yeah... looks like a mild skin infection

also keep an eye on areas where his hair is thicker, new bumps may hide there ! ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby jcoffey917 » May 20th, 2009, 8:23 am

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it and most likely bring him to the vet tomorrow if it doesn't get better today.
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby jcoffey917 » May 23rd, 2009, 1:30 pm

well, the vet said it's a staph infection, so he'll be on antibiotics for a month. He wasn't itching at all, so I'm glad I brought him in before it got bad.
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » May 23rd, 2009, 1:45 pm

Did your vet do a 'scrape' or just guess.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » May 23rd, 2009, 3:17 pm

they would need to do a swab and a culture.

I would think (being the owner of an allergic dog who has had more Staphlycoccus infections that I can now remember) that it would be highly unlikely to another type of infection.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby jcoffey917 » May 25th, 2009, 9:29 pm

He just looked at it, no swab or scrape. He has had one other one, no swab or scrape then either but the antibiotics cleared it right up last time. He gave me a medicated shampoo also and said to try and give him a bath with it every coupe of weeks during the summer as a preventative.

Do you think I should ask him to do a swab just to make sure?
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » May 26th, 2009, 3:57 am

I would do a bath at least every 2 weeks, if you can...

I'm not sure who you're asking, but I don't see the need to culture the infection, particularly if he's had something that looked the same before and it cleared up with the same AB's
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health