Thyroid meds...not sure what to do...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » May 18th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Okay, so Ripley is on Soloxine for his hypothyroid problem. Pills are cheap, I have no problem with this. But I ran out last week, and haven't had time to get to the vet to get a new bottle (I thought I had extras stowed away in the vet bag). I called today, and they said that they can give me a 2 week supply but I need to get his T4 done before they'll give me more. I explained that I don't have the $$$ for the test right now, and could we skip it for a while longer (they said "no"). The bloodwork/test will be over $100...which I just don't have for this. I have to update rabies vax and exams for everyone before I can do the T4. :neutral: *sigh*

The one nice thing that's been constant with Rip's thyroid problem is that when his levels change...his symptoms go crazy. I have historically taken him to the vet for the T4 when his anxiety and aggressiveness increase...and the levels have always been off. He's been feeling great lately...and has remained steady temperament-wise.

I would love to get his T4 done...but I just can't. But they won't let me get more meds without the test. UGH. I'm not mad at them...I do understand, but I don't know what to do. :confused: Any ideas? Anyone have experience with thyroid issues? Anything?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » May 18th, 2009, 9:20 pm

If you explain that you are spending money to update rabies vax and just really can't do it right now they might let you sign a waiver and give you the meds. My vet will do that if they see that money IS being spent on pet care but that bloodwork just isn't possible at the moment.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » May 18th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Once his levels change... how long does it take to get it back under control???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » May 18th, 2009, 9:52 pm

amazincc wrote:Once his levels change... how long does it take to get it back under control???

Once he's on the new meds (if the level changes)...it takes a few weeks to get it under control.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » May 19th, 2009, 4:35 am

sorry, I'm stumped. I wish I worked somewhere general practice so I might have some ideas for you...

Thyroid meds are pretty much a necessity... I wish I understood more about this particular body system.
maybe if you go in in person and talk to a manager(maybe call and see if you can make a time so as not to surprise them) then they might consider another option?

Do you have any type of pet credit card set aside that you could use?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » May 19th, 2009, 5:04 am

You might also try going by to speak to the vet personally. I'm betting he/she will work something out for you since I'm sure you are a regular client.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 19th, 2009, 7:50 am

Aren't there a couple flyball tourney's coming up? Maybe skip one of those. I know it would suck, but we gotta do what we gotta do. :(

Hope you get it figured out!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » May 19th, 2009, 8:41 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Aren't there a couple flyball tourney's coming up? Maybe skip one of those. I know it would suck, but we gotta do what we gotta do. :(

Hope you get it figured out!!!

I've got sponsors for flyball...but yeah, I would if that would help.

I'm going in this afternoon to pick up the 2 week supply...and I'm going to set up the rabies vax appt. for Xander and Sawyer...I'll see what they say about Rip.

I was just wondering if the vet folks knew of any other test or anything...I guess it's the T4 or nothing, from the sound of it? Thanks all...

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » May 19th, 2009, 2:49 pm

sorry, I haven't heard of any other test :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » May 19th, 2009, 8:31 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I was just wondering if the vet folks knew of any other test or anything...I guess it's the T4 or nothing, from the sound of it? Thanks all...

There isn't really much else, except a test called a free T4 (not free as in no cost, no pun intended :rolleyes2: ), but it is typically more than the T4. >(

I can say that if I had a client in that circumstance, as long as you signed a waiver and I still had a current client/patient relationship (ie: I saw that dog for a check up, etc in the past year), I'd let ya have a month or two more until you could get in. :wink: As long as the system isn't abused, most vets would want to see that happen as opposed to not getting the meds at all (or at least I'd like to think so 8) ).
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health