Culling

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby furever_pit » July 16th, 2009, 6:55 pm

My example had to do with a breeder facing the decision of either keeping a puppy with temperamental or health issues or to cull that pup. I was just trying to illustrate the other decisions that have to be taken into consideration if a breeder decides to keep a "damaged" pup. (Yes, I know I need a better word than damaged but I cannot think of one right now.) I am talking about a pup that has such issues that the breeder does not feel right putting that burden on someone else. And, like I said, having the ability to take back stable dogs does not necessarily mean one has the ability to take care of a dog with such severe issues that it could be seen at 8 weeks of age. Such issues take a lot of time and effort that someone who is already working with multiple dogs might not have. When I say having room I am talking much more about the time invested rather than space. So when I am talking about not being able to keep the hypothetical pup I don't think that necessarily has any bearing on the person's ability to take back a healthy dog (ie a pup that was not culled). Sorry, evidently I cannot communicate clearly today.

And FYI, I am not talking about me. I don't want people to mistakenly think I am breeding or have any of these issues.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby DemoDick » July 16th, 2009, 9:04 pm

amazincc wrote:Okay... *sigh*...
I'm not comfortable "playing God" and deciding who lives and who doesn't... never have been, never will be. Even when it's "just an animal".

We (humans) have been doing this for centuries. EVERY domesticated animal is the result of culling. Including the ones we eat. We "play God" every day. You can't compare genocide to culling. Peta does that, and they're assholes.

I just don't get emotional about it. Nature is far, far more cruel than humane culling of bred dogs. But then I am on much more intimate terms with killing than most people here, as I have killed hundreds, if not thousands of animals (lifelong hunter). I don't get all twisted up that "perfectly fine" dogs are destroyed, as long as they are destroyed for a purpose and in a humane manner.

Trust me, many of you would rapidly abandon the sentiments you hold towards dogs if it came down to plain old hunger and survival. Culture is a big influence here as well. Our pets are routinely eaten in other parts of the world.

Most of the people with an emotional response to culling would shed it quickly if they saw how animals live in the average Third World country. The world is a much crueler place than we usually realize.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby amazincc » July 16th, 2009, 9:28 pm

You're right, you're right, you're right... but, please, don't lump me in w/those Peta fanatics. :rolleyes2:
Maybe I'm one of those people who get more emotional at the prospect of "culling" a potential pet... probably why I don't/won't breed pets OR ever run a farm.

Yes, I eat meat/fish/chicken... as long as it's nicely packaged and I didn't have to kill it. :oops:

No, not even starvation could make me eat one of my pets. Once you pet it or name it... it's not food potential anymore; it's family. :neutral:

The world is a much crueler place than we usually realize.

No shyte.

I'll agree to disagree on the whole subject.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » July 16th, 2009, 10:16 pm

amazincc wrote:You're right, you're right, you're right... but, please, don't lump me in w/those Peta fanatics. :rolleyes2:

I think that was his point ;)

Maybe I'm one of those people who get more emotional at the prospect of "culling" a potential pet... probably why I don't/won't breed pets OR ever run a farm.

See, and though I can talk about culling from a logical perspective - and agree with it - in practice I'm not sure I could point at a cute little wiggly puppy and say "that one needs to go."

Yes, I eat meat/fish/chicken... as long as it's nicely packaged and I didn't have to kill it. :oops:

Look out, Demo's coming for you on that one! lol

No, not even starvation could make me eat one of my pets. Once you pet it or name it... it's not food potential anymore; it's family. :neutral:

I have a picture of me petting "Snack" my veal cow at the barn, his next home was my freezer. Honestly I thought it would bother me a lot more than it did. I can't say I would have watched when he was killed, but I didn't find meeting him and then eating him quite as icky as I thought I would.

I'll agree to disagree on the whole subject.

:D and that's all we can ask for. Even though this is difficult discussion, it's good nonetheless.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health