Serious skin issues we need your help. Pictures *

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby factoryphoto » May 6th, 2009, 2:00 pm

My name is Hoss I have a 6 1/2 yr old blue pit..About 2 years ago he went from being very very healthy to having sores on stinky stinky skin and his ears were very mushy and smelly.I took him to the vet they said he has a skin allergy and to put him on a different food like duck and potato..I put him on Pinnacles and then Wellness duck but nothing changed..They gave him cephalexin and it helped a little but not much. His ears got real bad about a month later I took him back in told them hes not getting better he is depressed because he is itchy,stinky and his ears are infected..They checked him out again and he had some yeast in his skin and bad in his ears.. He had to have surgery..Waiting all day for him was very painful and emotional. I was in the Marine corps for a long time and was in 3 different wars as a machine gunner and a sniper ive seen my fair share of emotional stress and trauma but with "MAK" I just break down bad..After about 6 months of vet visits I contacted a doctor and UC DAvis which is probably in the top 2 of animal hospitals in the nation. I got him in and they scraped him and like i thought "but my vet didnt" he had mange and mites and a very bad yeast infection.. He smelled so bad but it never stopped me from laying and cuddling with him everyday telling him how much of a good boy he was and that I was sorry for his condtions.

UC Davis got him cleared up pretty good he was on Ivermectin for about 6 months 1.5 ml a day .He was becoming MAK again the happy playful 95 lb pitbull..Well after a year or so he started to break out again and had ear infections again..I took him in and they cleaned his ear with something that almost killed him..He was dying in my arms at home foaming at the mouth eyes dialated could not move just layed there looking at me..I rushed him to emergency and they gave him IV to flush his system..He was ok then..

Just recently the last 2 months hes been having bad hard bump/soars on his back legs (knee) area.His neck is super red again with a slimy smelly pussy stuff coming out..His ear has the same thing on the back of it.I just dont know what to do, I cant afford UC Davis anymore ive spent close to 12k on his medical bills and surgery all together.
I clean his bed weekly, I shampoo him in oatmeal shampoo..Hes been on Canidae dog food since he was a puppy and now over the past 6 months hes been on there new canidae grain free food.There has got to be something I can do at home like a home remedy to cure this..I took him in and we fought the mange his lab results came back negative 2 months ago.I have him on advantage flea topical meds too..

His stomache has got some big moles on them over the lst few months one is a half inch long.he is super red under his neck, mouth,toes have sores on them and his ears are smelly again like his neck with that nasty discharge.
Here is what he looked like a few years ago then what he looks like as of yesterday I snapped these photos of him.

NOW
factoryphoto
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Omg that is bad! :shock: But I just love him so, what a handsome, happy boy.

I'm not saying this is a cure all but have you tried him on raw?
Last edited by LMM on May 6th, 2009, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 6th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Oh the poor guy is just a mess! :( I don't have any advice, but give him some lovin's from me. Poor kiddo...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:10 pm

Also this is a shot in the dark but what is your yard treated with?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby iluvk9 » May 6th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Another shot in the dark, but do you use cleaners on your carpets? Maybe try a holistic Vet?

That poor guy! :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 6th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Along those same lines, could he be allergic to your fabric softener or laundry detergent?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:16 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Another shot in the dark, but do you use cleaners on your carpets? Maybe try a holistic Vet?

That poor guy! :(

Great idea!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby factoryphoto » May 6th, 2009, 2:16 pm

My yard is all tropical plants..Fake bark made out of rubber..The yard is clean always..I have regular grass he pees on ..

What is RAW?
I called the vet just now im gonna take him in tomorrow morning..I just hate taking him there because it seems I spend $500 dollars for a bandaid fix..I always go back..I need to figure out something at home for him..Last night I cried petting him I know he is miserable just the last two weeks hes gotton bad with the sores on his feet and neck discharging that nasty stuff.I have some pills from the vet from last time called "Ketoconazole" 200mg that I am put him on staring two days ago..This morning he is not as red..
He swims in my pool I wonder if the chlorine is bad?I would think it would kill bacteria on him?
factoryphoto
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Ouch! :shock: :sad2:

I'm not a vet, but... I would stop the topical flea treatment immediately, first of all.

I would also get a very mild, but medicated shampoo for him (vet recommended, if possible)... and what do you use to clean his bedding? What do you use to clean your house?

Definitely also consider switching him to RAW and see if that makes a difference. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » May 6th, 2009, 2:18 pm

I would think the pool chorine might burn. :| I was going to suggest to stop the flea treatment, immediately, too. My cat lost clumps of hair from it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » May 6th, 2009, 2:18 pm

I'm not a vet, nor do I pretend to be one on the internet, but wanted to express my sympathy to you both. That has to be miserable, for you both. :sad2:
How did he do on the other food? Did you try raw with him, or other means to rule out food allergies? Is he currently on any antibiotics, or is it possible he could go in for some shots for relief?
Has he had allergy testing?
Before I learned that my Schnauzer was horribly allergic to fleas and over a extended period of visits, he would get a steroid shot (I'm sorry I don't remember what kind, and I'm not home) as well as something to relieve his itching, and then get put on an antibiotic, as well he had a topical creme for the big sores, and even some spray once that was SUPPOSED to numb (though I hardly EVER used it, as it seemed to burn him and he hated it :( ) We were continuously there because his itching and smells was just miserable in many ways, my vets goal was always to provide relief for the itching/infection first then go from there in trying to detemine what was going on with him.

Edit- I wasn't going back to edit my post, sorry to repeat what others have already suggested. :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby factoryphoto » May 6th, 2009, 2:20 pm

How would I clean his cover? I use just regular kirkland detergent and dry it with no fabric softners.
I feed him those chicken treats sometimes.

Where would I find a holistic doctor?Im in Sacramento area anyone near here that would know?
factoryphoto
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Jenn my mom's Molly has had the same regimen with the steriods, antibiotics, creams, and that spray. That evil, evil spray :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:22 pm

factoryphoto wrote:How would I clean his cover? I use just regular kirkland detergent and dry it with no fabric softners.
I feed him those chicken treats sometimes.

Where would I find a holistic doctor?Im in Sacramento area anyone near here that would know?

Let's google and see what we come up with :wink:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jenn » May 6th, 2009, 2:23 pm

I spend $500 dollars for a bandaid fix

sigh, been there done that,I know how you feel. It is MISERABLE, and sucks!

I posted a link within the board, a whole section dedicated to raw feeding... I don't feed raw, but have heard many raves about the difference it can make, I'd say at ths point it's worth a shot. Happy reading ;)

viewforum.php?f=58
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Is this close? I have no idea how big Sacramento is:

http://www.sacvetrehab.com/IVCNavigation.htm
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm

factoryphoto wrote:My yard is all tropical plants..Fake bark made out of rubber..The yard is clean always..I have regular grass he pees on ..

What is RAW?
I called the vet just now im gonna take him in tomorrow morning..I just hate taking him there because it seems I spend $500 dollars for a bandaid fix..I always go back..I need to figure out something at home for him..Last night I cried petting him I know he is miserable just the last two weeks hes gotton bad with the sores on his feet and neck discharging that nasty stuff.I have some pills from the vet from last time called "Ketoconazole" 200mg that I am put him on staring two days ago..This morning he is not as red..
He swims in my pool I wonder if the chlorine is bad?I would think it would kill bacteria on him?

There is an entire section here on raw for you to review and got loads of information. Not to mention plenty of members here feed a raw diet and can answer any questions you have.

And yea, I'd be very wary of the chlorine. I have a slight chlorine allergy so it's not a far jump that a dog might be allergic.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » May 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm

You may want to check this out, it's expensive but it worked for us.
http://atopica.com/
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » May 6th, 2009, 2:26 pm

LMM wrote:Jenn my mom's Molly has had the same regimen with the steriods, antibiotics, creams, and that spray. That evil, evil spray :(

HORRIBLE! I personally wouldn't give it to anyone, or recommend it. Poor little Tuck would cry and rub all over anything he could find. It didn't take long and I threw it away.
:sad2:
Jenn
undecided

Postby LMM » May 6th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Jenn wrote:
LMM wrote:Jenn my mom's Molly has had the same regimen with the steriods, antibiotics, creams, and that spray. That evil, evil spray :(

HORRIBLE! I personally wouldn't give it to anyone, or recommend it. Poor little Tuck would cry and rub all over anything he could find. It didn't take long and I threw it away.
:sad2:

Yea Molly beats a hasty retreat with this look of pure horror on her face. My mom quickly stopped using it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health