Webcams: ADVICE PLEASE!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 6th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Thankfully Michelle, those folks are subject to uber god mod issues.l

I am very confused as to what this means. :?

Let's all tone it down a notch shall we? Like it or not, agree with it or not, what is done is done and nothing is going to change that fact. This is not the first untitled, untested litter born on this board.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2009, 1:11 pm

a-bull wrote:Alyssa~Do these guys suffer from the usual merle genetic issues or defects? (I know very little about this breed, but thought they fell into the merle category). Owning a merle breed that does, (ended up in the rescue system), I was wondering because you mentioned they have few health issues.

Merle can be a bugger . . .

Hey Sandy! Haven't seen you in a while. :wave2:

No known genetic issues connected with the merle gene in these guys.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Holy crap... :shock:

How unfair to throw Alyssa in w/an average byb who has "oops" litters twice a year. As for changing her views... I had some pretty strong opinions/views myself when I first joined here, but thanks to most everyones unwavering patience and on-going education I managed to become a better owner, despite myself. I am grateful for that - and so was Mick during the past 1 1/2 years of his life.

Congrats, Teeny!!!! You are going to be an AWESOME Mom, and your pups will end up in some excellent homes!!! :confetti: :confetti: :confetti:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BritneyP » May 6th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Wow, they're all coming out of the woodwork, huh? :?
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby airwalk » May 6th, 2009, 1:26 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
Thankfully Michelle, those folks are subject to uber god mod issues.l

I am very confused as to what this means. :?

Let's all tone it down a notch shall we? Like it or not, agree with it or not, what is done is done and nothing is going to change that fact. This is not the first untitled, untested litter born on this board.

I figure if someone comes here to only stir up crap..they'll get to deal with you guys...that's all that means.

as for the untitled, untested litter...you're right Deb it's not the first...but as Michelle's signature line says silence is consent....
airwalk
I live here

Postby Favorite Kitty » May 6th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Psst. May I ask a question?

If this is a "breed" that wasnt even dabbled with until 1986 why is being bred? Its not like you are continuing anything. Its almost brand new. How many people are actually working on this breed? It looks like about 2 :confused:

What is the difference between these guys and American bulldogs or APBTs? Orrr, maybe someone should point me in that direction to read about them.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby amazincc » May 6th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:
What is the difference between these guys and American bulldogs or APBTs? Orrr, maybe someone should point me in that direction to read about them.

Having called Teeny a "Pit Bull" when I first joined... :oops: lol

Here's a good link to read about her breed - http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alapahablue ... lldogs.htm
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:Psst. May I ask a question?

If this is a "breed" that wasnt even dabbled with until 1986 why is being bred? Its not like you are continuing anything. Its almost brand new. How many people are actually working on this breed? It looks like about 2 :confused:

If you're looking at the ARF website to get info on the Alapaha I suggest you move on. ARF has recently changed their business ways and most Alapaha breeders have left them willingly or have been kicked out as they refused to pay the exorbitant fees.

It is a new breed. And Mike or Jamie can step in and give you a much better history than I, but I can tell you that there are a good number of people working on this breed. 3 main breeders up here are working on them, with others working under them. If you look at the "other" type of Alapaha the number of breeders are countless . . . but they're also looking at $$ signs and are ACTUALLY peddling puppies.

IMHO Alapahas are much tighter put together than the AB, bred for agility as well as protection. Their natural drive to protect, and protect appropriately, is the highest I've seen in any breed. There is a reason that this is my breed for life, and that I have chosen to become involved in the breeding program up here. I truly believe in them and what they can become. I'm not preserving this breed, I breed to better it.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Mickle » May 6th, 2009, 2:01 pm

I think this breeding will do that Alyssa!! YAY Teeny puppies! I cant wait!!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby BritneyP » May 6th, 2009, 2:03 pm

SisMorphine wrote: Their natural drive to protect, and protect appropriately, is the highest I've seen in any breed.

May I ask what brought you to this conclusion? :?
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2009, 2:05 pm

BritneyP wrote:
SisMorphine wrote: Their natural drive to protect, and protect appropriately, is the highest I've seen in any breed.

May I ask what brought you to this conclusion? :?

Uhhh . . . experiences with different breeds? :|
SisMorphine

Postby Favorite Kitty » May 6th, 2009, 2:12 pm

SisMorphine wrote:If you're looking at the ARF website to get info on the Alapaha I suggest you move on.

God, no. I just Googled the guys name and all kinds of swears came forth from his mouth. Hopefully in the past few years his attitude has dimmed a little :crazy2: It makes him sound very uneducated.

http://www.terrificpets.com/forum/83.asp

Him and his partner have 10 year olds helping to bite train their dogs?? I should just stop looking at the interwebs!

http://oldhamsalapahas.tripod.com/id6.html
Last edited by Favorite Kitty on May 6th, 2009, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2009, 2:15 pm

LOL that's my Jamie. Always a charmer ;)

And yes, kids can handle the dogs. I don't see an issue with that, should be a positive thing :|
SisMorphine

Postby Favorite Kitty » May 6th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Bite work, though? That would scare the crap out of me with a small 10 year old. Its one thing to have your kids involved in the obedience training but to be involved when your dogs "turn on" like that is too dangerous for me.

I dont think it was just Jaime posting on that thread. A few of the posts were signed Mike Connors. Theresearcher was his name. What is COLLAGENCINIA? I copied and pasted it because Google came up with nothing.

I have to pee! You guys be nice!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby Favorite Kitty » May 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm

P.S. I see that jaime signed up here. If he EVEN swears at me like he does in those threads I will karate chop him in the throat! :headbanger:

Hi-ya!
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby TinaMartin » May 6th, 2009, 2:29 pm

I was going to originally get a second AB and expressed my disappointment in the direction the breed was going in general. It was suggested to me (not by Alyssa) to look into Alapahas as they were much better off health wise than ABs. I had researched them years ago but never got very far. I went back and researched again, picked Alyssas brain, asked some questions, did more research, joined 2 Alapaha forums, and decided that was the direction I was going to go. I then approached Alyssa about a pup if she bred Teeny and went from there.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Yup bitework.

Upon reading the thread I actually can't tell if some of that was Jamie or if it was all actually Mike. All bets are off, though, when Alapaha breeders are fighting with each other. It's a good time!

And no, our mouths are not clean. I think the boys can vouch, though, that Liisa and I have a tendency to have the dirtiest out of anyone on the field at any given time. LOL!
SisMorphine

Postby a-bull » May 6th, 2009, 2:37 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
a-bull wrote:Alyssa~Do these guys suffer from the usual merle genetic issues or defects? (I know very little about this breed, but thought they fell into the merle category). Owning a merle breed that does, (ended up in the rescue system), I was wondering because you mentioned they have few health issues.

Merle can be a bugger . . .

Hey Sandy! Haven't seen you in a while. :wave2:

No known genetic issues connected with the merle gene in these guys.

Indeed, I don't post much here, but I did drop by for a thread a few months ago that interested me as well.

I'm big into the merle issue~have been ever since I rescued my guy years ago. That would be odd that they don't have any issues with the merle gene, but I'm no geneticist, fer sure.

Well, good luck with that webcam, and make sure you wear pants when it's on. That last one I saw it looked like a naked person was taking care of the pups because the woman wore shorts . . . oh and Crocs without liners for hose-ability.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2009, 2:46 pm

a-bull wrote:Well, good luck with that webcam, and make sure you wear pants when it's on. That last one I saw it looked like a naked person was taking care of the pups because the woman wore shorts . . . oh and Crocs without liners for hose-ability.

Yeah . . . I just bought two more pairs both with fleece. But they were only $1 a piece I couldn't pass them up! LOL!

I am still trying to figure out the live streaming thing. I signed up on two different websites and one has much better options on it, but whenever I go to hit broadcast it flips the picture upside down. I don't get it . . .

And I will have to remember to wear pants and not wear loose shirts (don't want any free shows when I bend over). Hear that, Jamie? You're going to have to wear pants when you're in front of the camera. Sorry!! ;)
SisMorphine

Postby TinaMartin » May 6th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Yes pants please as I will probably be viewing obsessively. :dance:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health