Webcams: ADVICE PLEASE!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » May 2nd, 2009, 2:08 pm

Hey all. So I'm going to enter the new century and finally purchase a webcam, but I seriously have no clue WHAT to look for in a webcam. There are a few on sale for like $40 at Best Buy and they either say 1.3 megapixels for still photos, or 30 frames per second. What exactly does that resolution look like on a cam like that?

Any advice or help would be superb. I'm going into this blindly!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 2nd, 2009, 6:05 pm

Planning on starting a stripper cam to make some money? :popcorn2:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » May 2nd, 2009, 8:06 pm

Well I hadn't thought of that, but thanks for my new job idea!! :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Sue » May 5th, 2009, 9:26 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Planning on starting a stripper cam to make some money? :popcorn2:

Nah, she probably wants to keep an eye on Teeny's puppies..

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t96027/
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t98018/
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby airwalk » May 5th, 2009, 9:28 pm

squuuuzzzaaa??? Teeny's puppies???
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 5th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Sue wrote:
pitbullmamaliz wrote:Planning on starting a stripper cam to make some money? :popcorn2:

Nah, she probably wants to keep an eye on Teeny's puppies..

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t96027/
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t98018/

Hi Sue! Long time no see. Just stop by to start trouble?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » May 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Hey Sue! Haven't seen you in forever. Thanks for ruining the surprise for those who aren't on other forums ;)
SisMorphine

Postby airwalk » May 5th, 2009, 10:02 pm

So the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.....
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 5th, 2009, 10:07 pm

airwalk wrote:So the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.....

That it is. For those who aren't a member of my FB or a million other forums on which it's been known for a while: Teeny is currently 51 days into a purposeful breeding and doing fantastic!
SisMorphine

Postby airwalk » May 5th, 2009, 10:09 pm

:nono:
airwalk
I live here

Postby BullyLady » May 5th, 2009, 10:27 pm

airwalk wrote::nono:

+1..... :nono:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Mickle » May 5th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Well I for one am totally excited about the Teeny babies and being able to see them via webcam!! :dance:
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby furever_pit » May 5th, 2009, 10:44 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
airwalk wrote:So the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.....

That it is. For those who aren't a member of my FB or a million other forums on which it's been known for a while: Teeny is currently 51 days into a purposeful breeding and doing fantastic!

So what was the purpose of this breeding? What would you like to see come out of the litter?

Oh, and I for one love puppy webcams. Gets me in trouble at work tho. lol
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » May 5th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Ya know, there are so many possible responses to this "little announcement", but truthfully none of them are going to make a wit of difference. The litter is on it's way. I can but hope there will always be top quality homes for every puppy regardless of whether they should have ever been born or not.

I can only hope there is not trouble at the whelping that endangers Teeny or any of the puppies, because seeing Teeny die for a litter would be extremely sad. Loosing puppies would be very sad, but not nearly as sad as endangering Teeny.

I won't go back and post the numerous times Alyssa, that you have pounded on others about breeding untitled dogs because everyone here has already seen them.

I must admit, I saddened
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 5th, 2009, 11:13 pm

furever_pit wrote:So what was the purpose of this breeding? What would you like to see come out of the litter?

Oh, and I for one love puppy webcams. Gets me in trouble at work tho. lol

This litter is a rather important litter for the breed. It is one of the basis litters for a new line. We are expecting some pretty intense working dogs from this litter, high prey drive especially. Both dogs have been tested for protection ability. Not only are both working in personal protection, but Bandit has earned PP awards (no not titles). Teeny has earned her CGC, and is the first Alapaha to be registered with CPE from what I gather. The plan was to have her titled in agility prior to breeding, but she came into heat a month early. I was not going to waste 2 years (as I thought I'd be accepted into school in the meant time . . . obviously no longer an issue) just waiting on a title for a dog that had been tested to have the ability to work. I chose to breed her to one of the top Alapahas out there.

Both dogs have had their hips x-rayed. Mike can discuss Bandit's hips in more detail, Teeny's bone formation is gorgeous. Unfortunately because she came into heat a month early the x-rays were done while in heat, and right on the OFA website it says that it's common for a female in heat's x-rays to come back with a subluxation . . . and . . .alas . . . there was a subluxation. Personally I'm not worried, and actually will be doing a PennHip later this year. This is a controlled breeding and would have been done no matter the hip results (well I guess if they were awful, we probably wouldn't have done it . . . but we also would have seen visual signs).

If you look at the breed as a whole there are no longer conformation shows, and there are very few Alapahas doing much else other than personal protection. Blue, actually, is currently one of the top (if not top) titled Alapahas out there.

I am very proud of my dogs and the work that they can do. I am happy that my lines don't have any common health issues, thus saving me, and others, from the heartbreak I dealt with when Wally was dying.
SisMorphine

Postby SisMorphine » May 5th, 2009, 11:17 pm

airwalk wrote:I won't go back and post the numerous times Alyssa, that you have pounded on others about breeding untitled dogs because everyone here has already seen them.

Diana, it is true. I used to be an uninformed anti-breeding snob. I didn't understand the reasoning behind breeding ANY dog, while other dogs waste away in shelters.

But after doing much research I understand the importance of breeding healthy working dogs to keep the good lines going.

I have changed my stance on breeding within the past year or two, and I have no problem admitting that. As anyone cane see from my posts, the more I learn, the more I change my opinion. I guess that's what you would call "education."
SisMorphine

Postby Mickle » May 5th, 2009, 11:19 pm

As far as good homes go for Teeny puppies I am one and Im a raw feeder and I work my dogs! YAY for a good home!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyLady » May 5th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Wait.... so you bred a dog whose current OFA evaluation was negative? Now, if it had come back subluxated and then you re evaluated her before breeding her and it came back with a positive evaluation, that I would not have a problem with. But you talk about Wally and watching him die, well I had to watch Sophie slowly waste and die from hip dysplasia. Maybe her breeder's bitch was in heat at the time of OFA and he decided to go along with it anyways.....

And, to whom has Teeny proven her working ability? Certainly not to any nationally recognized and regulated organizations, otherwise she'd be titled. I think Shelby is an AMAZING working prospect. I think that.

The whole thing is just a little much for me, I thought more of you than this.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby airwalk » May 5th, 2009, 11:31 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I have changed my stance on breeding within the past year or two, and I have no problem admitting that. As anyone cane see from my posts, the more I learn, the more I change my opinion. I guess that's what you would call "education."

because this is a web forum and I can't see or hear you, I'm going to assume that last statement is meant sincerely and not snotty.

I agree that education can and should cause us to adjust our opinions when the information bears fruit, but ... there is no getting around the fact that you bred a dog for which you didn't have the right results from the right tests and isn't titled to prove she is the best of best...and Alyssa in my mind that is the only reason to ever breed - breeding the proven very best of the best to the proven best of the best for the betterment of the breed - not necessarily to simply continue the breed.

I am disappointed that you posted, apparently, in many other places but weren't strong enough in your conviction of this breeding to post here and defend your decision.
airwalk
I live here

Postby furever_pit » May 5th, 2009, 11:31 pm

SisMorphine wrote:This litter is a rather important litter for the breed. It is one of the basis litters for a new line. We are expecting some pretty intense working dogs from this litter, high prey drive especially. Both dogs have been tested for protection ability. Not only are both working in personal protection, but Bandit has earned PP awards (no not titles). Teeny has earned her CGC, and is the first Alapaha to be registered with CPE from what I gather. The plan was to have her titled in agility prior to breeding, but she came into heat a month early. I was not going to waste 2 years (as I thought I'd be accepted into school in the meant time . . . obviously no longer an issue) just waiting on a title for a dog that had been tested to have the ability to work. I chose to breed her to one of the top Alapahas out there.

:shock:
Independently of the entire pregnancy thing....are you serious??
I am disappointed by this view. The journey from training to trial success is certainly not a waste.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health