The best success

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Boss Hogg » May 4th, 2006, 10:09 am

In the last two weeks I have been running my girl every other day about 2 miles or less and I am feeding her Eukanuba once a day(was twice a day). What has given you the best results to great muscle tone for your dog/dogs.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 10:39 am

Exercise and good food...

Swimming and running in deep snow has brought out the 'best' muscle in our dogs.

Have you tried a higher grade food than Eukanuba?
Last edited by mnp13 on May 4th, 2006, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 10:41 am

Didn't Eukanuba be one of the highest quality foods? What happened? I know something happened but I forget now, what happened to make it lower quality.
I don't think alot of people know that it dropped in quality.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 10:45 am

mnp13 wrote:Exercise and good food...

Swimming and running in deep show has brought out the 'best' muscle in our dogs.

Have you tried a higher grade food than Eukanuba?

So true! And, does wonders for my legs when I run with them!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2006, 11:15 am

msvette2u wrote:Didn't Eukanuba be one of the highest quality foods? What happened? I know something happened but I forget now, what happened to make it lower quality.
I don't think alot of people know that it dropped in quality.

Not as far as I know. Their marketing is very high quality unfortunately.

Always check the first ten ingredients of your food. You should have at least two protein sources, and remember that "fresh" whatever is NOT the first ingredient after it has been cooked. It goes down teh list signifigantly. You want meat meal, as that has already been rendered down.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » May 4th, 2006, 11:48 am

Boss lives near me so I don't think he's gonna be running is snow any time soon! :D Swimming, jogging, treadmill, anything that causes him to use his muscles will build them up.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » May 4th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Eukanuba is owned by Iams.

While I think Eukanuba is not a bad food (its higher quality Iams), Iams is pretty lame.
Iams was sold to another company who messed with the ingredients and lowered their quality.

Thats the story I know :|
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Boss Hogg » May 4th, 2006, 11:55 pm

I stand by Eukanuba. I just don't think my dogs do. I add concentrated goats milk to their food every now&then to give them a variety of flavor and I heard that it's good for their health. I haven't noticed any difference in my female since I started running her. There has to be another way and I don't have access to a pool. Pretty soon I'm going to buy one of those freezers that college kids keep in their dorm rooms and fill it up with raw meat to feed my dogs once a day. Does any-one have any cheap successful exercises for muscle definition?
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby Miakoda » May 5th, 2006, 12:39 am

Does any-one have any cheap successful exercises for muscle definition?

No offense, but are there any cheap & lazy successful ways for people to lose weight & get fit? No. So of course there is no cheating with an animal.

First of all, just running is going to trim the dog up, but it will also build up lean muscle tissue....meaning the dog will be cardiovascularly fit & definitely lean with nice muscle tone, but bulky will NOT be in it's description. Look at track athletes & cross country athletes. They are slim n trim.

To build up muscle volume, just as in people, one would need to incorporate weight resistant exercises for their dog as well. Weight pulls are the most popular method.

However, I do want to make one thing clear. In order for the dog to be in all around physical shape, a HUGE contribution must come from you, the owner. It's not an overnight process, it's not a week long process, & it's even not a month long process. Reggie Bush didn't get into shape in a month......it took years & years of carefully thought out training consisting of various types of exercises & drills & a proper diet. Don't cheat your dog & whatever you do, don't expect him to ever fulfill the glorious byb version of a "pit"....the Gotti look. APBTs are not muscle bound monsters.....they are sleek & trim athletes.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Boss Hogg » May 5th, 2006, 6:55 am

Thanks for giving me so much negative feedback thats just what I needed to find the best way to get her into good shape. :rolleyes2: You have assumed that I'm trying to be lazy and you have assumed that I want her to be bulky. I have no results as far as weight dcrease and I would like to know if doing thing like running her with a weight harness is good or investing in a amateur harness and letting her pull is good. Just throw out some ideas on excersise and diet.

Miakoda wrote:
Does any-one have any cheap successful exercises for muscle definition?

No offense, but are there any cheap & lazy successful ways for people to lose weight & get fit? No. So of course there is no cheating with an animal.

First of all, just running is going to trim the dog up, but it will also build up lean muscle tissue....meaning the dog will be cardiovascularly fit & definitely lean with nice muscle tone, but bulky will NOT be in it's description. Look at track athletes & cross country athletes. They are slim n trim.

To build up muscle volume, just as in people, one would need to incorporate weight resistant exercises for their dog as well. Weight pulls are the most popular method.

However, I do want to make one thing clear. In order for the dog to be in all around physical shape, a HUGE contribution must come from you, the owner. It's not an overnight process, it's not a week long process, & it's even not a month long process. Reggie Bush didn't get into shape in a month......it took years & years of carefully thought out training consisting of various types of exercises & drills & a proper diet. Don't cheat your dog & whatever you do, don't expect him to ever fulfill the glorious byb version of a "pit"....the Gotti look. APBTs are not muscle bound monsters.....they are sleek & trim athletes.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » May 5th, 2006, 7:54 am

msvette2u wrote:Didn't Eukanuba be one of the highest quality foods?

WAAAAAAAAAAAY back when (what, like 10-15 years ago?), before pet nutrition was really looked at, Euk and Science Diet were the two foods that everyone fed because that's what their vets told them to feed.

Nowadays, even though the same vets are telling clients to feed Euk and SciDi, you are finding more of the newer vets supporting higher quality foods and even raw diets because they *gasp* have actually taken an interest in nutrition and were not "brainwashed" by Hills as far as what foods to feed (nutrition used to be taught as a seminar provided by the Hills Company, ie: Science Diet). Unfortunately the older vets haven't changed their ways, and many vet schools still don't have a comprehensive nutrition program.

When I took my canine and feline nutrition class we were told that by the end of the semester we would know much more about dog food than 90% of the vets in the US. Terrifying, huh?

And as far as conditioning goes, I dunno. You do far more than I do! Want to come up here and condition my Greyhound? There ain't no way I'm going to go running with him . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » May 5th, 2006, 9:57 am

There are two kinds of muscle, fast twitch and slow twitch. Marathon runners have slow twitch, sprinters have fast twitch. Low weight, high rep builds lean slow twitch muscle. High weight, low reps builds bulkier fast twitch muscle.

You will not see much progress if you don't put her on better food. Without enough protein she can't build muscle. I'd try a different food.

I also disagree with the post above, as I have seen marked differences in my dog's physique in under two weeks.

I'm not sure what you mean about "running her in a weight harness". Does that mean one of those harnesses that you strap weights directly to? I would definately say not to do that. A weight pull harness would be good, and then you walk her while she drags the weight.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » May 5th, 2006, 10:29 am

You have been given ways to exercise your dog. Running, swimming, jogging, walking, treadmill. What more do you want? :| You can't get much cheaper than that.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on May 5th, 2006, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » May 5th, 2006, 11:35 am

I just play fetch with Oscar :| Sometimes I take him for a swim (like every few months, and more in the summer)
If I play fetch with him every second day consistently he comes out looking like one ripped little dude.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » May 5th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Maybe I missed the post that states her age, I probably did.
I would like to say that I've heard that running with a dog that is less than 2 years of age can injure their bones and growth plates, and to add weight with a harness couldn't help but add to that damage.
Are terriers different in this regard?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 5th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I was under the impression it was only in the first 6 mos or so of the puppy's life? If thats true I've been running him since he was about 5-6 months old and I haven't seen any issues with this :| yet... (he is only 5..)
I would have lost it if I didn't run him, especially early on. He would have driven me absolutely totally insane completely bonkers

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » May 5th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Our property borders 300 acres of "forever green" forest that is very very rocky -- my dogs keep in shape by climbing those rocks and running up and down the hilly trails. After all the wind damage from this past winter, they also have plenty of downed trees to hurdle.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Miakoda » May 6th, 2006, 1:37 am

I never meant to be negative. However, when I see people asking for cheap & easy ways to condition their dog, I just don't understand what part of "it takes work to get a dog into good condition" they don't understand. I never implied you were lazy.

Anyways, a type of circuit training is the best (a varied array of exercises/workouts....i.e. long hand walks, jogs, weight pull, spring pole, swimming, etc.), but you MUST also put her on a good quality food as Eukanuba is not a quality food by any means. Proper/adequate nutrition is vital in the role of muscle building & overall balance.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 6th, 2006, 8:17 am

Malli wrote:I was under the impression it was only in the first 6 mos or so of the puppy's life? If thats true I've been running him since he was about 5-6 months old and I haven't seen any issues with this :| yet... (he is only 5..)
I would have lost it if I didn't run him, especially early on. He would have driven me absolutely totally insane completely bonkers

Malli

I was wondering about that too because Greyhounds usually begin training between 6 mos and a year and are racing by 1-1.5 . . . all well under 2. And other than arthritis they don't have much in the way of joint issues, and very very very rarely do you find hip dysplasia or elbow issues in a racer or ex-racer.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Boss Hogg » May 6th, 2006, 9:19 am

Ok, a circuit meaning like this:

Mon, hand walk
Tues, rest
Wed, jog
Thurs, rest
Sat, flyball

I keep hearing Eukanuba isn't exactly high quality. I'm about to switch my girl to raw chicken quarters once piece per day. As for my pup he will continue to be fed Eukanuba. I get compliments on their coats all the time and it hasn't made them fat. They both have some muscle showing,but as always I'm hard to please, so more muscle definition is what I'm seeking in them, and for myself :wink:
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health