Woo HOOOO Semi good poop this am!!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Did the white bits look like rice? That's usually tape worms.

The bigger bit of white could be a worm that hasn't developed completely yet. :|
Last edited by Marinepits on May 4th, 2006, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Tapes look like little grains of rice, or that's what they say, but to me they look like little rectangular things - usually they are moving, you'll see them stretching and moving around. They are "segmented".

Geez remind me not to google intestinal parasites when I'm eating breakfast. :puke:
But I found a good photo of tapes...
http://www.loyalsockanimal.com/Tapeworms.htm
Last edited by msvette2u on May 4th, 2006, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 12:40 pm

msvette2u wrote:Tapes look like little grains of rice, or that's what they say, but to me they look like little rectangular things - usually they are moving, you'll see them stretching and moving around. They are "segmented".

Um, yeah, that's what I meant to say, LOL. :oops: Round worms look like spaghetti.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 12:46 pm

LOL Yeah they do. I have a nice pic of roundworms from when Lambie threw up, maybe this is a good thread to post it on. I've been itching to post it...

BTW you can blame my morbid fascination with internal parasites on my job at the shelter. You see alot working there ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 1:00 pm

they were more pepper sized.. like grains of salt only a little bigger. the bigger one was like an egg shape but the size of a pencil eraser
Maryellen
I live here

Postby turtle » May 4th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Maybe the previous doses have been slowly killing off the worms? And what you're seeing could be eggs or worm larvae? Round worms are the most common in pups, but they do tend to get hook worms and whip worms too.

I think most wormers work for all worms except for tape worms which take a different medicine.

I bought a good sized bottle of liquid Pyrantel Pamoate, it's the same as Strongid, and is actually for human pin worms. It was cheap at KV Vet and will probably last me forever! It's dosed at 1 cc per 20 pounds body weight orally and it works great, it gets rid of all worms except for tape worms. The Pyrantel Pamoate is pretty mild and can be given to young pups too.

When I first got my dog at age 6 months, she had round worms and the vet gave me the 3 days of panacur powder which did not get rid of her worms! I had her checked 14 days later and she still had them so I bought the Pyrantel Pamoate and that got rid of them.

I would think Ivermectin would work too, it's the main ingredient in most heartworm preventatives and if you give your dog those each month, usually they have no worms. But it can be tough to get rid of well established worms that have been there awhile.

Good to hear Arturo is doing better. Getting the worms out of his system and letting his tummy recover and he'll be back on track. It might not be the food at all that caused the "soft serve", it could just be all the worms and wormers.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » May 4th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Oh and lovely pic, msvette! I'll be skipping lunch now....

Years ago my cattle dog pup threw up round worms just like that when I first got her. She was about 8 weeks and went to the vet the next day for wormer and a check up!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 2:12 pm

i hope this works.. he still has to be tested in 2 weeks again.. maybe i will buy that stuff to keep on hand..just in case... and to worm my 3
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Sure not a bad idea. You may want to check your local feed store (if you have one) before shopping online too, sometimes the price diff. makes up for the S&H you'd pay over the 'net. I've found this to be true.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby babyreba » May 4th, 2006, 4:14 pm

strongid will do round worms and hookworms. you give two doses two weeks apart.

drontal does round worms and tapeworms. not sure what the dosage schedule is for that one.

panacur covers the most worms, and it'll get round, hook, whip, and tape. if you do granules or powder, you dose it by weight and usually give it in food for 3 consecutive days.

if you used panacur, you're probably going to get pretty much all the worms that are in there.

wormers do upset the digestive system and can cause vomiting and soft stools. since he's had so many different things, all in pretty quick sucession, his poor system is probably messed up and that may be why you're seeing the soft stools now. i'd just sit and wait and not change his food or give him any more meds or anything until the next vet visit and fecal exam. his system might just need a rest and time to recoup.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health