conjunctivitis?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » February 20th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Ruby has something funky going on with her right eye. It's squinty, gooey, and really bloodshot. I called the vet and they said it's probably not an emergency and put warm compresses on it over the weekend. We have an appointment on Monday.

To me it looks like conjunctivitis, and Riggs is already looking squinty in one eye. Connor isn't squinting, but he and Riggs had HUGE eye boogers today.

Is conjunctivitis zoonotic? What can we do for all three of them until Monday?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » February 21st, 2009, 12:30 am

mnp13 wrote:Ruby has something funky going on with her right eye. It's squinty, gooey, and really bloodshot. I called the vet and they said it's probably not an emergency and put warm compresses on it over the weekend. We have an appointment on Monday.

To me it looks like conjunctivitis, and Riggs is already looking squinty in one eye. Connor isn't squinting, but he and Riggs had HUGE eye boogers today.

Is conjunctivitis zoonotic? What can we do for all three of them until Monday?

English for the s-l-o-w people, please. :rolleyes2: :oops:

Conjunctivitis is very contagious, as I'm sure you know. Don't touch anything on your person before washing your hands very thoroughly after you touch the dogs. :shock:

http://www.grandmashomeremedies.com/pink-eye.html

There's also an OTC solution called I-Scrub. Dip sterile cotton balls in it and gently wipe off all crusts and boggers/eye lids.

Or... mix one part of baby shampoo w/ten parts of warm water, and use a sterile cotton ball to get all the crap off the eyes.

Poor puppers. :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » February 21st, 2009, 12:39 am

Totally Zoonotic. Watch out!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby madremissy » February 21st, 2009, 12:50 am

Ok, It was killing me so I googled it. :oops:
Zoonotic means a disease that can be transmitted from animal to human.
I hope everyone gets better soon.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 21st, 2009, 1:01 am

Xander's got a goozley eye too...it comes and goes around here...haven't had an icky eye in a while though. I usually just wash it out with eye wash...and give it a few days. :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2009, 3:46 am

in cats at least, I asked the contagious question at work, and was told by the ER vet that it is not contagious like it is from person to person. However, I believe dogs can get pinkeye, wich IS HIGHLY contagious.

Conjunctivitis literally means irritation or inflammation of the Conjunctiva. Its like saying you have a cold - there are many different bacteria or viruses that can cause cold-like symptoms, so its a description of the symptoms more then the actual cause of the condition.

I would avoid using any irritating product(soap, disinfectants) ON the eye, but if you are careful, you could use it around the eye while wiping away. I would use clean gauze or cotton balls dampened with warm water to wipe away any discharge. I would watch that she does not scratch at them, as this could potentially cause a scratch on the eye that could ulcerate - a cone or doughnut may be necessary.

Did they all get into something irritating, maybe? What color is the discharge, is it green or pink-toned?

as mentioned, a thourough hand wash after handling the dogs should prevent any possible transmission until you figure out whats causing it ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » February 21st, 2009, 9:12 am

What Malli said.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » February 21st, 2009, 10:40 am

The discharge is clear. At night it gets all gooey, but during the day it's just watery clear discharge.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » February 21st, 2009, 10:55 am

Watch out with that stuff. Birdie got it from Kindergartners, gave it to me and I brought it to work.

We were both seen by my vet and my doctor to confirm that I got it from her. I can't remember what RX they gave us though. I'd have to pull her medical record from the filing cabinet down stairs.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2009, 2:05 pm

mnp13 wrote:The discharge is clear. At night it gets all gooey, but during the day it's just watery clear discharge.

normally you'd see a colored dishcharge if there was infection. So I was thinking along the lines of irritation...
Maybe you stirred up some old dust in the house or used a new strong cleaner? Anything else you can think of thats different?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » February 21st, 2009, 2:08 pm

Malli wrote:
mnp13 wrote:The discharge is clear. At night it gets all gooey, but during the day it's just watery clear discharge.

normally you'd see a colored dishcharge if there was infection. So I was thinking along the lines of irritation...
Maybe you stirred up some old dust in the house or used a new strong cleaner? Anything else you can think of thats different?

I know in cats URIs can affect the eyes, can that happen in dogs also?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » February 21st, 2009, 2:12 pm

hows this, not to my knowledge? :| :wink:

I've never seen a dog with an Upper Resp. Infection :| Never heard of it, either, though its not like I'm the be all end all...

Does Ruby have any facial swelling or sore teeth?
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health