Distemper only vaccination?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 19th, 2009, 10:29 am

Is there such a thing as a vax that is only distemper...and where would one find it?

Is the distemper vax all that necessary anyway? :?

Asking for a friend who has a dog with "issues"
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » February 19th, 2009, 1:32 pm

In NY and Florida only rabies is mandatory, as far as I know.
Says the owner who dealt w/a dog w/issues... lol

We once did a "drive-by" rabies vaccination at our local park, because it was cheap. Jess and I wrestled said dog w/issues to the ground, and four vet techs administered the shot. No one was hurt. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » February 19th, 2009, 2:20 pm

I know that they have vaccines that have less than others (8-in-1, 6-in-1, 5-in-1, DHLPP, DA2P, etc) and I believe that they have a separate parvo vax, but I'm not sure if the distemper vax without parvo still has the adenovirus (1&2).

What issues does the dog have?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » February 19th, 2009, 3:40 pm

it might be able to be special ordered? But it would probably be all one shot, anyway :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » February 19th, 2009, 3:43 pm

My vet said that we could get them as separate shots when we brought Connor in. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » February 19th, 2009, 4:53 pm

She can get a separate distemper-only shot...but has to buy a pack of 25, and doesn't know if she can get enough takers for the remaining 24...;)

She titered the dog, and the parvo was fine, but the distemper was no longer "protective".

The dog has health issues: hypothyroid, IBD, esophageal dysmotility, allergies (the dog is a mess...can only eat certain things, etc.) She doesn't want to overdo the vax if she doesn't have to. My feeling is...go without the vax all together if it's potentially more harmful to get the vax. :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Magnolia618 » February 19th, 2009, 4:57 pm

I wouldnt vaccinate for distemper at all. :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Marinepits » February 19th, 2009, 5:47 pm

I am assuming that a dog with that many issues is under veterinary care? What does the vet say in regards to the distemper vax?

If the dog spends a lot of time outdoors in areas where there is wildlife (especially raccoons, foxes, and groundhogs), she may want to vaccinate as there is no cure for distemper -- there is only supportive care while the dog's own immune system fights off the disease. Or the dog dies. Since the dog is already immunocompromised, the dog stands less of a chance for survival.

If the dog spends a lot of time around rescue animals (especially puppies) with unknown vaccination histories, she may want to vaccinate the dog.

But, again, given that the dog already has MULTIPLE health issues, the best person to decide whether or not the distemper vaccine will be harmful to the dog is the dog's own veterinarian.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » February 19th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Marinepits wrote:I am assuming that a dog with that many issues is under veterinary care? What does the vet say in regards to the distemper vax?

If the dog spends a lot of time outdoors in areas where there is wildlife (especially raccoons, foxes, and groundhogs), she may want to vaccinate as there is no cure for distemper -- there is only supportive care while the dog's own immune system fights off the disease. Or the dog dies. Since the dog is already immunocompromised, the dog stands less of a chance for survival.

If the dog spends a lot of time around rescue animals (especially puppies) with unknown vaccination histories, she may want to vaccinate the dog.

But, again, given that the dog already has MULTIPLE health issues, the best person to decide whether or not the distemper vaccine will be harmful to the dog is the dog's own veterinarian.

Agreed. We still see distemper, and it is still a viable threat. >( In a dog that is already immunocompromised, I'd recommend vaccinating if it were my client simply because although I don't like to give a lot of extraneous vaccines, distemper is very, very difficult to survive in a normal, healthy dog, let alone one with health concerns. :neutral:
:neutral:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Mickle » February 19th, 2009, 7:37 pm

We titer and my vet gave the dog just a distemper vaccine. I didnt need anything else.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 19th, 2009, 7:38 pm

She could call around and see if any of the local veterinarians other than hers already have the distemper only vaccines in stock so she doesn't have to worry about buying a whole case.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health