What The Hell

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » February 12th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Is it possible that thing has been in his stomach this long?

I nursed a FB dog that the last time the owner's remembered him eating a corn cob was 9 months (yes 9 months) before.

I occaisionally get asked if I think someone should visit their dog. I think, when pets are sick, its their time to get better, and it should all be about the animal. Some people are able to come and visit and have their pet be ok with them leaving again, and sometimes, I wish that no one had come to visit at all; their dogs scream and cry after they leave, they pace, they won't lay down and rest, etc(it particularly upsets me when the client seems to know that the dog(usually its dogs) will freak out). I think it is a very selfless decision to decide NOT to visit Kayden if you think he'll get upset.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » February 12th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I'm SO glad he came through surgery ok! Silly dogs.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby amazincc » February 12th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Damned dogs... they will put us in an early grave, or at least bankruptcy... :shock: :x

I'm so happy to read that Kayden came through the surgery okay!!! :confetti: :clap:

About visiting him - you know him best. If you think it will be too upsetting, or he will get too excited, I second waiting until tomorrow. I know it's hard to stay away, but you are one of those people who always puts their dogs best interest first... you'll make the right decision for Kayden this time as well. :wink:

And lastly... tons of good thoughts for a speedy recovery and some :hug3: to you and Heidi.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Thanks all, I'm not going to visit Kayden until he is feeling much better and is ready to come home. He tends to stress a bit at home when I leave the house (he sits in the window at home when I take Earl for a run until I get home) so I think it is in his best interest to let him rest for now.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby airwalk » February 12th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Geez Matt, I'm sorry I just read this. Silly dogs..we really have to find a way to communicate the no eating non food items thing.

Glad he's through surgery okay, I'm sure he'll be dandy and back to being Kayden very quickly...you wallet and the vacation...welllllll.......not so quick.
airwalk
I live here

Postby DemoDick » February 12th, 2009, 11:19 pm

I doubt he'll miss the piece they took out. He'll be fine.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby BigDogBuford » February 12th, 2009, 11:21 pm

You have to promise that once he poops you'll do a little happy dance.... :dance:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ellie@ny » February 13th, 2009, 12:35 am

I just found out about this,I'm so sorry Matt!!!
I wish him a fast recovery,he's a tough cookie! :wink:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Malli » February 13th, 2009, 5:33 am

so, how have they said his recovery is going ? :) Do you have any further questions?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » February 13th, 2009, 10:39 am

I just spoke with the vet taking care of Kayden.

They said he is doing great. No vomiting last night, electrolytes and temperature are all normal.

She said he seemed very hungry this morning so they tried him on some low residue food (whatever the hell that is). She said that food is pretty disgusting and isn't something most dogs will eat so he looked at her like he wanted to eat but wouldn't touch the stuff so they gave him a small amount of some turkey and rice and he gobbled it right up.

They are taking him off of the IV antibiotics today and assuming he doesn't have any vomiting today they are going to start him on oral meds and if he does good through the night he can come home tomorrow morning.

Before we hung up she said he is a super sweet dog with everyone and just wants to sit in your lap when you open up his cage (which I already knew).

Hoping things go well today so I can get him home. The house just isn't the same without him there.

I asked about food I could get tonight for him and she said they would send him home with some EN canned food (not sure what that is) and I could also boil some chicken and rice. Would it also make sense to get some probiotics to start him on? If so does anyone know of anything good out there?
maberi

Postby dogged » February 13th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Great news! :D

Science Diet EN is very bland for easy digestion. Fed a good bit of it when I had a dog recovering from pancreatitis.
"Hey, I'm glad I found you. I need your approval to cut down some lollipop trees outside the sea monkey hut. These decisions have to go through you because you're the mayor of crazy town."
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby KJS » February 13th, 2009, 1:51 pm

WOW scary stuff goign on !...so glad to keep reading and find out that Kayden has come through ok and is now on the road to recovery...your gonna have to dog proof your ..dog...
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » February 13th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Good thoughts to Kayden as he recovers. I know I couldn't visit Trouble and expect her to stay calm so each person has to make their own decision on that one. Dogs, like kids, are all different.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Malli » February 13th, 2009, 5:03 pm

low residue food is just that, it leaves a lower residue in the GI tract, less stress on the gut while it is moving slower and recovering. Looking at the food, it definitely does not look appetizing. I think it is also used in animals with chronic constipation issues and a couple other conditions.

EN is another lower residue and easily digestible food. FYI it may be from Purina but I would use it anyway until she says you can switch Kayden back to his regular diet. It may be Purina but the fact that it is easily used by the gut is the key here, less chance of complications. I'd at least do a day or 2 of the EN before switching him to the rice and chicken if you can...

I'm sure his gut would appreciate some good 'ol acidopholus, can't hurt anyway.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » February 13th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Phew, I just saw this thread, what got into him to swallow a kong?? I'm really glad that surgery went well and that he's recovering nicely , it's always nervewracking! But he's strong, he'll bounce back in no time I'm sure.

EN is an easy digestible fod, from Purina (I know this will propably make your eyelids curl up in horror):
Ingredients (Dry)
Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, chicken meal, coconut oil, animal digest, animal fat preserved with mixedtocopherols (form of Vitamin E), calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, sodium bicarbonate, soybean oil, fish oil, salt, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Ingredients (Canned)
Water sufficient for processing, beef, brewers rice, egg product, coconut oil, gum arabic, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, biotin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

JMO - I'd be concerned about going back to RAW right away (even with grinded bones, maybe use bone powder instead?) since the 8-11% leakage possibility, and the initial fragility of the sutured area. Now others may argue with me but semi-digested raw meat leaking out of the gut scares me. In natures, perfored gut/blockage does not equal surgery, it equals death pretty quickly.

If you do feed raw it would have to be something really lean, like horse meat I guess.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby SisMorphine » February 13th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Wally was on Euk Low-Res for a couple months while we were trying to figure out his intestinal issues (liquid diarrhea when I first got him) and I know the EN is very similar. The ingredients aren't good for a life long diet, IMO, but are just what you need while he recovers. If the doc says you can do the chicken and rice then go for that, but this is one of those cases where I actually don't mind listening to a vet about food *dodges oncoming blow from Dr. Blabs* ;)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby maberi » February 13th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Agreed, I am going to keep Kayden on the food they give me until they tell me to stop. I don't want to chance anything.

Kayden has been on Orijen so I will probably put him back on that when he is better. I plan on moving Earl and Karma back to raw soon but will probably keep Kayden on kibble
maberi

Postby Leslie H » February 13th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Xanny had a blockage when she was 8. She lost a few inches of intestine, and I also had her spayed while they were in there removing things. She recovered fine, and was back pulling weight a month later. Hopefully Kayden will bounce back just as quickly.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby maberi » February 15th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Conehead is home and what a pain in the ass he is. He has already broken one e-collar, knocked over a standing lamp, knocked over Earl (that one was actually funny) and spilled an entire bowl of water on the carpet.

He is still a bit sore which is expected, but is eating and drinking and had his first poop last night, so I guess things are progressing along nicely. Thanks for all of the good thoughts and great advice along the way.

A couple pics of his exciting week which included the surgery and losing his pads a few days prior to surgery.

maberi

Postby DemoDick » February 15th, 2009, 12:24 pm

You can probably get an inflatable e-collar at a pet store. They're a lot less clumsy.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health