What The Hell

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 15th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Poor kid! He makes that e-collar look fashionable. :giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » February 15th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Thanks, I'm going to go look for one today. This stupid thing is driving me nuts
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby call2arms » February 15th, 2009, 1:29 pm

If you don,t find the inflatable, you can at least get a supple one (like fabric-y) that have less potential to shear the back of your knees open. Jessie was the queen of making me want to strangle her from the pain inflicted to my legs with an e-collar.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Mickle » February 15th, 2009, 1:31 pm

They also have a collar called a bite not collar. It looks like a doggy neck brace but was fantastic when it came to keeping Seamus and Spicy from digging at their stitches. And they didnt seem to mind wearing it. :)
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby maberi » February 15th, 2009, 1:32 pm

call2arms wrote:If you don,t find the inflatable, you can at least get a supple one (like fabric-y) that have less potential to shear the back of your knees open. Jessie was the queen of making me want to strangle her from the pain inflicted to my legs with an e-collar.

Lol, yeah Kayden was jabbing me in the back of this legs this morning while I was trying to cook eggs (definitely doesn't feel good).

Last night Heidi and I were watching a movie and Kayen was laying near the fire. I looked up and his cone was laying against the glass and had started to melt :doh: After that I decided to move his crate into the living room.
maberi

Postby call2arms » February 15th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Bwahaha... Melting his cone, that's the first time I hear that one.

In the meantime, you can reinforce the collar by duct taping the rim and the part that's loose inside the cone lenght-wise. That really helps.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » February 15th, 2009, 2:32 pm

sounds like he's doing well :)

good luck with the cone experience ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby airwalk » February 15th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Matt, they sell soft e-collars - they are basically foam with a fabric cover and ties. They look a bit clownish, but I have one because my old Mastiff was a freak about e-collars and he would wear this one just fine.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 15th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Oh yeah, every time we'd send a pit bull home with an e-collar I'd always just have them the trouble and duct tape it before we even put it on the dog. AND I'd send them home with a back up as well.

When Wilma had to wear hers, she learned how to 'scoop' the kitties up into it while she was running around the house. The kitties were not impressed.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » February 16th, 2009, 3:08 pm

How's he doing today???
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » February 16th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Oh, he looks so forlorn. Give him a hug from me.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby maberi » February 16th, 2009, 3:42 pm

He is doing much better today. He had a lot of trouble trying to lie down this weekend so he spent most of his weekend sitting in the sun falling asleep sitting up.

He seems to be much better this morning and not as sore so things are progressing nicely (he even had a semi solid poop last night).

We ended up getting a blow up e-collar and that has been much better on him and our house.

I was a little bit weirded out by his incision though. It starts at his sternum and goes down past his weener :puke:

When they take those staples out do they usually zap them with anesthesia?
maberi

Postby SisMorphine » February 16th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Mickle wrote:They also have a collar called a bite not collar. It looks like a doggy neck brace but was fantastic when it came to keeping Seamus and Spicy from digging at their stitches. And they didnt seem to mind wearing it. :)

I second a Bite Not for everyone to keep onhand. It is far more comfortable and less chaotic. We used them at the Greyhound rescue and they're fantastic.

http://www.bitenot.com/

I'm glad to hear he's doing better. Usually stitches are done without an anesthetic.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby call2arms » February 16th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Normally we take staples out non-anesthetised, it does not seem to cause pain in most animals, USUALLY. With the lenght of incision that Kayden has, they might sedate him cause that can take a long time if he decides to wiggle or just plain doesn't enjoy it.

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » February 16th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Sounds good, I can't imagine him laying down and sitting still for someone he doesn't know
maberi

Postby call2arms » February 16th, 2009, 4:11 pm

I've had to do that on all four, with my head under the dog's tummy and staple removers, some will stand for it!

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby BigDogBuford » February 16th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Ok, so I'm going to be the one to warn you in case no one else has......usually once they're a foreign body eater, those dogs seem more likely to go back seconds so keep a close eye on him. I saw a black lab that had a total of 5 foreign body surgeries. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » February 16th, 2009, 4:33 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Ok, so I'm going to be the one to warn you in case no one else has......usually once they're a foreign body eater, those dogs seem more likely to go back seconds so keep a close eye on him. I saw a black lab that had a total of 5 foreign body surgeries. :|

Thanks

I spent yesterday wandering around the backyard and the house looking for anything he could get his mouth on. I threw away 3 kongs he had split and he is only allowed to have a kong now when we supervising (no more kongs with peanut butter in his crate when we aren't home).
maberi

Postby iluvk9 » February 16th, 2009, 6:06 pm

All I can say is....

IT WASN'T THE LABRADOR THAT ATE THE KONG. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » February 17th, 2009, 12:19 am

iluvk9 wrote:All I can say is....

IT WASN'T THE LABRADOR THAT ATE THE KONG. :dance:

No, the Labrador ate Miss Piggy and Kermit action figures.
~Jeanine

BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health