Xylitol?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby fenella » February 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I don't know anything about this, but I received it as a forwarded email. Anyone know if this is true?

This is true: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp
>
> Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe , our 24 Lb.
> dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the
> den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's
> purse. She=2 0had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a
> small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol.
>
> I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly
> for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the
> ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I
> called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately. Unfortunately, it
> was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there.
>
> Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website
> to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce
> her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though
> they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose.
> The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops
> very quickly.
>
> The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even
> with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us
> she would call us. Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that
> contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood
> sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes.
>
> She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care
> unit operati ng around the clock. We picked her up and took her there.
> They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a
> donation; their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They
> would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2
> days test her liver function.
>
> She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in
> her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared. Chloe spent
> almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood
> sugar was stabilized, she c ame home yesterday. They ran all the tests
> again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had
> I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we
> wouldn't even have known why.
>
> Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew
> about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell
> everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.
User avatar
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Location: Maryland

Postby fenella » February 9th, 2009, 1:53 pm

I answered my own question, I guess...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-03-18-xylitol-sweetener_N.htm
According to the article, 2-3 sticks of sugarless gum can be toxic for a 20# dog.
I feel stupid for not knowing that. My guys ate a pack of gum a few weeks ago...
User avatar
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Location: Maryland

Postby Pit♥bull » February 9th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Thanks for sharing :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully
 
Posts: 1207

Postby Marinepits » February 9th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby fenella » February 9th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Oops. I didn't realize it had been posted before. When I tried to do a search, my computer froze up (it's an issue on my end, not with the board.) Sorry. :oops:
User avatar
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully
 
Posts: 286
Location: Maryland

Postby Marinepits » February 9th, 2009, 3:14 pm

Not a problem at all -- just giving you more info! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby Malli » February 9th, 2009, 3:45 pm

its absolutely true, I only just learned about it recently myself.

along with chewing gum, it also comes in some baked goods and toothpaste.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
_______________________________________
"You didn't know of the magical powers of the break stick? It's up there with genies and Harry Potter as far as magic levels go." SisMorphine 01/07/07
User avatar
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!
 
Posts: 6341
Location: CANADA EH?


Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users