Shredded Pads

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » February 6th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Stupid me played fetch with Kayden in the parking lot and he shredded 3 out of his 4 pads. I have them wrapped right now but he is bleeding through the wraps pretty well.

What is the best way to take care of these at this point? Anything I should put on there as far as ointment?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » February 6th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Once the bleeding stops (it can take a while, unfortunately) you can try putting some neosporin on them. He may lick it off, though.

When my guys do that, I just clean the pads off with a little hydrogen peroxide, make sure the bleeding stops, then add a little ointment if they're going to stay in their beds for some time. Otherwise, I let them take care of it themselves and just make sure they don't lick their pads too much and/or get infected.

Is this all on one foot or several feet?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » February 6th, 2009, 10:48 pm

3 feet
maberi

Postby Marinepits » February 6th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Youch! :shock: Poor dude. How's the bleeding?

(Don't feel bad -- Shorty does it all the time. :wink: )
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » February 6th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Poor Kayden. I hope he gets better soon.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby DemoDick » February 6th, 2009, 10:57 pm

There's a product called Pad Heal. You can get it at Gander Mountain in the gun dog section.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby SisMorphine » February 6th, 2009, 11:04 pm

I quik stopped Blue's penis when it was bleeding :|
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby alaskapit » February 7th, 2009, 12:37 am

that time of the month?
Sarah
and Zyda Mae Lion-berry
alaskapit
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » February 7th, 2009, 3:34 am

I'd do neosporin, non-stick pads, and bandage with gauze and vet wrap. I just did this to poor Oscar the other day. I bandaged his paw for a night with AB ointment and then took it easy and walked him mostly on soft ground (well, it really just happened last week) since. I think it takes a little while for pads to come back and particularly, to regrow to the same strength as the rest of the pad(s). :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » February 7th, 2009, 3:35 am

should add that Oscar was barely bleeding, so you may need to bandage for longer if you can convince him (maybe try an E collar?).
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » February 7th, 2009, 9:42 am

alaskapit wrote:that time of the month?

LOL Nah he managed to scrape it on the desk at work . . . don't ask . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby maberi » February 7th, 2009, 10:17 am

Where can one get vet wrap or is there a human equivalent that I can pick up?

His right foot is the worse. That pad that sits up higher on the leg was completely torn. It was dangling from his leg so before I bandaged him up I pulled it off as it was only hanging by a thread. The large pads on the front feet look like someone sliced them in half.

I had him at work with me and when we walked in the office I noticed the bloody foot prints throughout the office (that was fun to clean up).

Anything I can give him for pain? H seems pretty sore and isn't able to put a lot of weight on that front right foot.
Last edited by maberi on February 7th, 2009, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
maberi

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 7th, 2009, 10:18 am

Poor Kayden. That has to hurt. Maybe you should pick up some Musher's Secret and start putting that on every few days (once his pads are healed, of course) to see if that will help strengthen them.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2009, 11:14 am

You can get vet wrap at Agway and other feed stores. Some vet offices will sell it if you go in and ask.

If you have any Rimadyl or Deramaxx, you could give him that for the pain. NO advil or tylenol.

Do you think he needs to see a vet?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Mickle » February 7th, 2009, 11:17 am

Mushers is a great idea for when the pads are healed. I dont have any ideas to fix them though.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby rockermom » February 7th, 2009, 11:57 am

SisMorphine wrote:I quik stopped Blue's penis when it was bleeding :|

:shock:

Vet wrap may be available at Tractor Supply Store. But I guess those stores are few and far in between.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » February 7th, 2009, 12:20 pm

I get the self adhesive bandage at walmart. It is the same thing at vet tape but doesn't come in all the pretty colors. It is in the band aide section.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Marinepits wrote:You can get vet wrap at Agway and other feed stores. Some vet offices will sell it if you go in and ask.

Country Max has it in the horse asile. Come out to the one in Ontario and stop by! ;)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » February 7th, 2009, 2:23 pm

He's rewrapped and seems to be feeling better

I picked up some "no hurt" cleansing solution to clean the wounds out. That did NOT go well. So much for the no hurt part :bs:

The right paw is much much worse than the left but they should both heal up quickly. How often do I need to change the wraps and at what point can I stop using them?
maberi

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I would definitely change the wraps any time they get damp or wet, but probably once a day otherwise. I don't usually use wraps, so that's a semi-educated guess, LOL. And probably use them until the pads show significant signs of healing well.

What was in the "no hurt" solution?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health