First Day Back on Raw

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » May 2nd, 2006, 1:00 pm

Ok. I started with Raw today and I am a little nervous we will have the same outcome as last time. The last time I tried Raw my puppy was vomiting and had diarrhea. My other dogs just had diarrhea. I got scared and stopped.

This morning didn't go as planned since the chicken thighs were still frozen. Luckily I have Oma's Pride which was supposed to be for dinner and I thawed what I needed yesterday. Although the chicken had been thawing for the past 2 days in the refrigerator. I am hoping it will be ready for dinner. If it is still frozen I will run it under water to get the pieces I need for tonight.

Knuckles ate the Oma's Pride with no problem. Cookie sniffed it and stared at it for a while and then ate it. Teddy wasn't too thrilled but ate a little bit of it. I was happy with how I separated everyone since that was one of my fears. I put Knuckles in his crate, Cookie was in the kitchen and Teddy was outside.

I hope tonight will go ok.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » May 2nd, 2006, 1:22 pm

dont worry, you will do fine.. sounds like its good so far!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 2nd, 2006, 5:23 pm

Yay! From what I've been reading, it's pretty normal for some dogs to get the runs when switched over - if it continues more than a day or two, fast them for a day, and then trim the chicken of fat and skin. Just stick with it this time!!!
:rock:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » May 2nd, 2006, 5:30 pm

Hmmmm... We went from white ashy wonderful poop, to runs and vomiting... WOULD YOU PEOPLE MAKE UP YOUR MIND!! :P
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » May 2nd, 2006, 6:33 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Yay! From what I've been reading, it's pretty normal for some dogs to get the runs when switched over - if it continues more than a day or two, fast them for a day, and then trim the chicken of fat and skin. Just stick with it this time!!!
:rock:

Both my girls had awful runs when I switched them...I went back to feeding the dry food, then worked the raw in with that....that seemed to work for my girls....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » May 2nd, 2006, 7:59 pm

I had no problems at all switching mine over so I have no experience with what works. just give it time & their tummies will adjust.

And after they get a bit more used to eating raw you can feed their food frozen occasionally. It gives them a little something extra to do. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 2nd, 2006, 9:04 pm

I gave them the chicken thighs tonight. I am hoping things will be ok tomorrow. I have been giving them acidophilus and plan to get a big thing of yogurt tomorrow at BJ's wholesale club. I am going to pick up my chicken there too. They had the thighs at .89 a pound last time. Someone said to me that maybe thighs would not be a good idea for them and that cages would be better. I pulled all the skin off of them. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 2nd, 2006, 9:20 pm

I was told to start Wally off on raw with a "detox" week(s) where I fed him only chicken backs. Well I couldn't find any chicken backs so I did chicken quarters for weeks and he's been fine this time around, no issues, whereas before when I was trying to do a pre-made raw AND whole he was getting very sick.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 2nd, 2006, 10:52 pm

Thighs are fine, plenty of meat & the bone is just hard enough for a good teeth cleaning. Rib cages don't have enough meat on them.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 2nd, 2006, 11:00 pm

I will say that Knuckles sucked back the chicken thighs. We laughed at how fast he ate them. I just hope he doesn't make himself sick with the way he eats.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby CarrieH » May 3rd, 2006, 8:02 am

Diarreah (sp?), if it happens at all when switching, is completely normal. Shouldn't really last more than about 1 week. Pureed pure pumpkin (not pie filling) is very helpful for runny stool as it is very high in fiber. I usually give about 2 large tablespoons full when the pups are runny and it usually helps right away.

I always feed my adult dogs frozen chicken, the puppy's food is not frozen however, she is getting there. It does slow down their eating and it forces them to chew which is one of the reasons why we are feeding raw in the first place. Remember, chewing the bones is GREAT for their teeth, keeps them white and decay free.
CarrieH
Just Whelped

Postby luvmyangels » May 3rd, 2006, 10:54 am

Someone on another board mentioned that I should slowly start Knuckles by giving him some kibble and then giving him raw. I already started with the Raw but I did give him some kibble. I guess that kind of defeats the fact that I fasted them a day to try and clear the kibble. Ok now I am just totally confused.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 3rd, 2006, 2:17 pm

I know some people feed half kibble, half raw (somebody on here...can't think who though...), but I do know they digest at different rates so you're not supposed to give them kibble at the same time as the raw - I suppose if you're feeding kibble for breakfast and raw at night that should be fine, but quite frankly, I'd just stick to the raw. :|

Listen to me, feeding raw for only 6 days and I already freely hand out advice! :wink: I did LOOOOTTTTSSSS of research though...
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby luvmyangels » May 3rd, 2006, 2:32 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I know some people feed half kibble, half raw (somebody on here...can't think who though...), but I do know they digest at different rates so you're not supposed to give them kibble at the same time as the raw - I suppose if you're feeding kibble for breakfast and raw at night that should be fine, but quite frankly, I'd just stick to the raw. :|

Listen to me, feeding raw for only 6 days and I already freely hand out advice! :wink: I did LOOOOTTTTSSSS of research though...

I have heard somewhere else what you mentioned about it digesting differently.

I have done tons of research too I even have two of Tom Lonsdale's books. He wrote "Raw Meaty Bones". But sometimes it all gets a little confusing. See my problem is I like to over analyze things which is a bad habit and really can complicate things.

Thank you for your advice.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 3rd, 2006, 2:33 pm

Don't fed kibble & raw int he same meal. It could cause stomach upset & the kibble is harder for them to digest. you can feed kibble for the first or second meal of the day or evey other day but not together.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » May 3rd, 2006, 2:44 pm

Thank you for letting me know that. I was aware that it is not good to combine the two in one feeding. I really wanted to get away from the kibble though.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby turtle » May 3rd, 2006, 3:30 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I know some people feed half kibble, half raw (somebody on here...can't think who though...)

That's me, I guess... I've been feeding my dog raw in the mornings and kibble at night for over 2 years now and it works great for my dog.

But you do not want to mix raw and kibble together in the same meal.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 3rd, 2006, 3:33 pm

Thank you.

Did you find the transition was easier on your dogs? Since you still have the kibble in their diet? I am just curious.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » May 3rd, 2006, 3:42 pm

I switched all of my dogs er... cold turkey lol and they did wonderful.

Everyone over analyzes everything when they start raw. I was SO damn confused and scared. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect and 100% correct and blah blah blah blah blah.

Once you get over that part, you just throw them a hunk of meat every night and that is it. I give kelp and eggs and stuff a couple times a week, and I fast for one day, but I dont keep track of anything. Raw feeding is EASY people. Just take a deep breath and jump right in. Also, remember that some people feed meat/organs ONLY. No kelp, no eggs, no veggies, and their dogs are as healthy as can be. I suggest adding stuff, though.

I guarentee that all of you who have started raw will think it is the easiest thing in the world in a couple weeks. And it will be SOOOOOOOOOOO much simpler.
Last edited by Magnolia618 on May 3rd, 2006, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby turtle » May 3rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

This thread has more discussion too:

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#34876

And to save me typing, LOL, here is the gist of what I wrote there.

As to raw feeding, you can always start slow and feed half raw and half kibble for awhile and see how it goes. I've been feeding this way for about 2 years now and my dog is doing great. She used to get itchy ears and that is pretty much gone now.

I've never had a problem with feeding raw and kibble but I do not feed them together. I feed 2 meals a day, she gets the raw in the morning (fed outside) and the kibble meal at night. No digestive upsets, nothing bad at all. The raw & kibble digest at different rates so you don't want to feed them together. I think dogs do better being fed twice a day. Their food digests better and only one meal every 24 hours, well, that's a long time between eating.

I started giving her a chicken wing for breakfast about 3 times a week. I wanted to be sure that she chewed it well and did not gulp it down whole. I graduated to chicken quarters but found my dog did better with those if I cut them in half, so she gets either a leg or a thigh for her raw meal.

I wanted to keep it simple. It seemed the more I read, the more confused I was! Since my dog was doing well with raw breakfasts 3 or 4 times a week, I went to feeding raw every morning and kibble at night. She gets her raw outside in the yard so I don't have any raw meat clean up which is nice.

And I even found that the raw is pretty cheap! It is less per pound than the Timberwolf kibble I buy. I can often get chicken quarters for as low as 17 cents a pound. (hubby looks longingly at them and says "for the dog???" LOL). I also buy short dated meats from my local grocery store and get good deals on veal necks, lamb necks, and beef roasts. I don't spend over $1.00 a pound for the raw and the Timberwolf kibble is about $1.50 a pound.

I decided to stay with feeding half raw and half kibble for several reasons. My dog does great on this diet; it's pretty simple; if I travel, I can take kibble and feed her that since she is used to it; and I also feel that the TW kibble helps insure that she gets a complete diet. I do add the supplements like yogurt, kelp, salmon oil, and apple cider vinegar. My dog has never looked better!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health