Will it really work?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby LMM » January 16th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Ok so silly questions time...... There are a lot of ingredients in the satin balls, what do you guys mix it all in?! :oops: And when it says a box of oatmeal, any particular kind/size? And where on earth do you get unsulfured molasses???

Silly question session over.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Not silly at all...I did a lot of trial and error when I made my first batch years ago...;)

I mix it in a big giant plastic bowl...I have a couple of cheap ones from the dollar store, like salad bowl size...the link I posted does have smaller versions of the recipe, so you can make smaller batches to try it out.

Oatmeal, I just buy the generic brand...the quick cook, as they're smaller and more mixable. The regular sized container of plain oats.

Unsulfured molasses is the regular molasses...found in some groceries near the syrups, sometimes near the baking stuff. It'll say on the bottle whether it's unsulfured...if it's not, it'll just say "Molasses".
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » January 16th, 2009, 12:25 pm

LMM wrote:Ok so silly questions time...... There are a lot of ingredients in the satin balls, what do you guys mix it all in?! :oops: And when it says a box of oatmeal, any particular kind/size? And where on earth do you get unsulfured molasses???

Silly question session over.

A very large bowl or half the recipe and I get unsulfured molasses at Aldi's.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Molasses info:
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=molasses

I had this question a while back while baking holiday stuff...so I looked it up then. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby LMM » January 16th, 2009, 12:29 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Not silly at all...I did a lot of trial and error when I made my first batch years ago...;)

I mix it in a big giant plastic bowl...I have a couple of cheap ones from the dollar store, like salad bowl size...the link I posted does have smaller versions of the recipe, so you can make smaller batches to try it out.

Oatmeal, I just buy the generic brand...the quick cook, as they're smaller and more mixable. The regular sized container of plain oats.

Unsulfured molasses is the regular molasses...found in some groceries near the syrups, sometimes near the baking stuff. It'll say on the bottle whether it's unsulfured...if it's not, it'll just say "Molasses".

Oh that's a great idea, I'll make half a batch! I don't eat oatmeal so I have no clue what a regular size container is?? So look for molasses that says unsulfured, got it!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 12:30 pm

LMM wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Not silly at all...I did a lot of trial and error when I made my first batch years ago...;)

Oh that's a great idea, I'll make half a batch! I don't eat oatmeal so I have no clue what a regular size container is?? So look for molasses that says unsulfured, got it!

I just checked my container, it's 18 oz. I keep a container around, as I have a recipe for great training treats that use oatmeal. I don't use it myself! lol I also use it as a bland food if someone's tummy is a bit upset.

TheRedQueen

Postby LMM » January 16th, 2009, 12:32 pm

18 oz. container, got it! Thanks guys lol

My dogs will thank you later ;)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby katiek0417 » January 16th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Tina Martin wrote:
katiek0417 wrote:I'm afraid of not following the recipe (i.e., using cashew butter instead of peanut butter)...do you think it would still work if we use cashew butter? Does anyone know if cashews are bad for dogs?

Why do I have this awful feeling of deja vu? Oh, wait, yeah, that's right, I had weight problems with Cy! lol :rolleyes2:

I use cashew butter with Gator it works just fine.

Awesome! Thank you!

We made the large batch last night (Nemo is like a hoover vacuum - so I knew he'd eat it)...sure enough, he loved it...he did have a bit of gas this morning...but no diarrhea...

Erin, I'll have to go to the dollar store b/c I thought I had a big enough bowl, but not for the 10 lbs...we were thinking next time we'd have to use my lobster pot!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » January 16th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Has he gained weight yet? :dance:

TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » January 16th, 2009, 4:41 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Has he gained weight yet? :dance:

Not yet...trust me, I'm watching closely (as close as I can actually get to him - which is looking at him through a window right now) for ANY changes!

The one site I went to, however, said that it will totally increase the dog's energy...I'm not sure Nemo needs help in that department... :nono:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby nicole » January 16th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Satin balls will definitely do the job of packing on some weight...but imo, they aren't a complete diet, just something to supplement in addition to his current diet.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby katiek0417 » January 19th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Yes, Nemo is actually putting weight one! Believe it or not! I was happy to see that you can't see all of his ribs anymore.... :mrgreen:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » January 19th, 2009, 12:22 pm

katiek0417 wrote:Yes, Nemo is actually putting weight one! Believe it or not! I was happy to see that you can't see all of his ribs anymore.... :mrgreen:

Yea! :clap:

TheRedQueen

Postby Mickle » January 19th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Natures logic is a high quality kibble that has millet in it and I have been told that Petcurean Go! Chicken fruit and vegitable is supposed to be very good with putting weight on dogs. YAY Nemo gaining weight! I just thought I woudl give you that info with the kibble.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby BritneyP » January 19th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Yay for Nemo!!! Let's hope it stays on! :mrgreen:

OT: Liisa, I LOVE that picture of Spicy... almost as much as the upside down one. :wink:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » January 19th, 2009, 3:03 pm

BritneyP wrote:Yay for Nemo!!! Let's hope it stays on! :mrgreen:

OT: Liisa, I LOVE that picture of Spicy... almost as much as the upside down one. :wink:

I'm with you, Brit....now, I just have to get the rub-burns of his hips (he spins in his crate, and the air holes have worn on his hips)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Mickle » January 19th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Katrina: try schreiner's herbal solution..Its great for burns, hotspots, cuts etc and its all natural. I used it with Seamus's tail and it worked really well and kept him from licking it. www.schreiners.com

Britney: Thanks I thought it needed to be updated and this pic sure makes one great avatar!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » January 19th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Mickle wrote:Katrina: try schreiner's herbal solution..Its great for burns, hotspots, cuts etc and its all natural. I used it with Seamus's tail and it worked really well and kept him from licking it. http://www.schreiners.com

Thank you, Liisa! I will definitely try that! We also flipped his crate, to see if that helps...but I definitely want to try to put something on...so, this sounds perfect...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Mickle » January 19th, 2009, 3:19 pm