Holidays at the vets .....

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » December 31st, 2008, 4:52 am

So, any other vetty people having holidays at work getting them down? Every year at work I'm like "Merry flucking Christmas" :rolleyes2: :neutral:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » December 31st, 2008, 8:18 am

Yup... I feel your pain, sista! :nono:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby iluvk9 » December 31st, 2008, 8:19 am

Think of it this way. If it weren't for people like YOU, people like ME (ya know, with 12 days vacation right now :) ) wouldn't have anywhere to take their dogs if they got sick or hurt.

Does that make you feel better? :hug3:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » December 31st, 2008, 10:52 am

I agree!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » December 31st, 2008, 10:57 am

You know, the last place I worked at wasn't busy around the holidays. We were actually a little slow. But I know the other two places I worked at were CHAOS around Christmas. Interesting, I'd never thought about it before . . .

Oh yeah, and YOU'LL MAKE IT THROUGH! I promise. Just eat all of that popcorn, cookies and candies that everyone likes to leave at Christmas time. I swear when I worked at the vet's offices I would gain like 10 pounds every Christmas :shock:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby dlynne1123 » December 31st, 2008, 4:38 pm

Yeah, around a holiday weekend, its either feast or famine at the vets office! This year is was FEAST! Bloat, holiday candy pancreatitis, diabetic episode, and it never fails that the dog we've been keeping stable for monthes, goes down hill just before Christmas. Luckily for us it was all happy endings and that makes it worth it!

The only downer was this Monday a dog was found hit by car on the side of the road deceased and some nice people picked it up for fear of it getting hit again and brought it into our office while we tried to find out who it belonged to. The owners had just gotten the beautiful boy from the local Shelter the friday after Christmas for their daughter! Too sad they had to go through that. Can get a little depressing sometimes.
The woman who brought him in, called later that day, and if he hadn't been claimed yet she was going to pay to have his remains taken care of! Nice gesture either way.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 31st, 2008, 4:43 pm

yeah, its not being there, its being there and dealing with bad attitudes from clients and neglected animals. Nobody has any money or time, so they wait, much too long. And then, they get angry with us when they have to wait to be seen, or when they have a bill and they've already spent everything.
bah.
All week, instead of "vomiting for 2/3 days" its been "vomiting for 5 + days", etc, etc, etc. :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » December 31st, 2008, 5:53 pm

This is the first time in the 8 and a half years I've worked at the EC that I have not had to work on the holidays! Wooooo Hooo!
The first year we were so slammed that I was working 14+ hour shifts and heard pumps going off in my sleep for days.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » December 31st, 2008, 6:00 pm

I have been seeing a lot of the "we'll wait and see how things go for a while but now my pet has a really bad problem and I need it fixed quick & inexpensively" too. :cry: I feel bad for, because it is tough all over. :neutral: Some of these people are good clients, and want to do what they can. :itsOK: And euthanasias are on the rise, just like every holiday season. :cry1:

I just take the joy when I can, and snuggle all the patients that will let me! :groupHug:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health