Pregnant mutt

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby blackdoggy » December 14th, 2008, 2:54 am

I have a pregnant female mutt in my possession and she seems to be about ready to drop, my question for you smart folks is what is this black fluid that has been leaking out for the past three days the first day her hind quarters were covered in the stuff :? :puke: . I got her a box made with fresh pine noodles lining the bottom as well as food and water I have been trying to keep her confined in there as much as possible to avoid her dropping somewhere in the house. I will be rehoming this girl once the puppies are big enough but the stipulation for the new owner will be to give me cash or make a check out to the local clinic for her to be spayed then they can pick her up afterward. I recovered this dog from my sister she was letting the poor girl roam the streets in town with no tags :nono: :mad2: :cuss: I will be sure to get her to the vet for a full eval before she is given away, I have only had her for about a month but I have not had the cash to get her to the vet :( on a funny note though my two girls and two of my males will need to be packed up when I go for there shots so that's gonna be five dogs in a midsized sedan :swoon: :spit: (mental image of a clown car).
Its not the dogs fault you got bit he thought you were trying to hurt me.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » December 14th, 2008, 8:44 am

Ummm...I'm not familiar with breeding dogs, but black fluid does not sound good at all.

Isn't there any way you can get her to the vet before she delivers? Maybe find a low-cost clinic...or a vet that will do a payment plan? Your sister won't help in any way?

What are you planning to do with the puppies? You mentioned re-homing mom...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ellie@ny » December 14th, 2008, 8:56 am

I'm not a breeder either,but black fluids doesn't sound good at all.... :(
Can you maybe get in contact with a local rescue,who could give her the care she needs,and hopefully could place the pups as well?
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby LMM » December 14th, 2008, 9:02 am

Also not a breeder but black fluid does NOT sound good at all. I would really be getting that dog to a vet ASAP if I were you. Find low cost, an SPCA in your area, something, anything.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby blackdoggy » December 14th, 2008, 9:36 am

There is no such thing as cheap or low cost clinic here to speak of, the best thing I can do is call my regular vet on Tuesday or Wednesday when he opens up and ask him, my sister is in no position to care or fund care for this dog when I got her she was bony and love starved. I am planning on rehoming all of the pups and mom through the local free paper I really should have just taken this dog to the ASPCA instead of hanging on to her :( .
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby ellie@ny » December 14th, 2008, 10:02 am

I know you try to do your best,but why can't you take her to ASPCA then?
DO you know how hard to find good homes even for purebred dogs,what if she ends up with 12 pups?
Are you sure you can handle that?
Sorry but I think the best would be for the dog if you take her to a rescue ASAP.
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 14th, 2008, 10:03 am

I'm clueless when it comes to that, but I would think black fluid sounds like that condition where the uterus is infected. Pyometra? Is that what it is? Michelle's dog Ruby nearly died from it. Here's a link to info on it: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 14th, 2008, 10:05 am

I googled "discharge in pregnant dog" and got several links, all of which said that a dark discharge may be sign of a miscarriage or serious infection. Here's one: http://home.ivillage.com/pets/symsolve/0,,jh5j,00.html

This dog needs a vet. ASAP.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ellie@ny » December 14th, 2008, 10:11 am

[quote="pitbullmamaliz"]I googled "discharge in pregnant dog" and got several links, all of which said that a dark discharge may be sign of a miscarriage or serious infection. Here's one: http://home.ivillage.com/pets/symsolve/0,,jh5j,00.html

This dog needs a vet. ASAP.[/quote]

I agree 100% Liz,it can be anything at this point... :neutral:
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » December 14th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Black fluid could be infection (sepsis), dead or dying tissue/puppies, embroynic fluid, blood... it could be anything. But I can tell you, IT IS NOT NORMAL. :cry:

She needs medical care RIGHT NOW. I know it is hard, but she cannot wait until Tuesday or Wednesday. She, as well as any potential puppies, may not make it that long, especially if it has been going on for days. :(
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » December 14th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Perhaps I am a cold hearted bitch, but I'd put her down... with the puppies still unborn.

Finding a home for a mother dog and 4 pups (here's hoping it's a small litter) with responsible owners is going to be a HUGE chore, do you have the time and money to do full evaluations on any potential adopters? If you can't afford vet care for her now, how will you afford care for her and the puppies after?

It's very hard to responsibly place pure breeds, mix breeds will be more difficult.

Her chances in a shelter are pretty grim as well.

And I feel the same way about all pregnant dogs in rescue. Do a spay/abort or put the mother down with the puppies still unborn. There are too many dogs out there already, another litter isn't going to help matters.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby blackdoggy » December 14th, 2008, 4:24 pm

:| Don't blame me this is my idiot sisters fault if it were me I would have taken her to the ASPCA when my sister went to deliver her baby, this woman isn't fit to care for a dog let alone children. I mean she has had three or four different dogs hit in the road she didn't even know what to do when this bitch went into heat hell she didn't even attempt to put it up. :nono: Well now everyone know why I don't like my sister :cuss: From looking at that one link there she might need to be put down :( I think I will ask my E vet (who cost's an arm leg and torso) to humanely euthanize her tomorrow morning if she agrees it's an infection that will cost a fortune. The bad thing is this is really supposed to be my young niece's dog and it is gonna be really really difficult to explain why the dog isn't here although she could have "run away" :(
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » December 14th, 2008, 5:08 pm

May I suggest telling your niece that the dog was sick and passed? I don't know the age of your neice, but saying that the dog ran away would, in my opinion, not give her closure. She may begin worrying as to where she is or if she safely made it somewhere with the pups. :(

I would go with age appropriate honesty.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » December 14th, 2008, 5:24 pm

I'm going to be blunt :
It is inhumane to make the dog wait any longer. Basically there is material rotting inside her. It is highly likely that she could die from this in short order, and it can't be making her feel well.

I won't even bother to ask why you didn't have her spayed a month ago when you got her and abort the litter then.

Why don't you try surrendering her to a rescue?

here's a whole list of rescues in virginia I found on a quick search :
http://www.animalshelter.org/shelters/Virginia.asp

there are NO more excuses to wait with this dog. IMO if there are places that can help her better then you and you have access to them, there is no excuse for the current condition she is in. Taking on a pregnant dog involves a whole lot more then just feeding her well.
Please get her help NOW! Either take her to an emergency vet yourself or find a shelter or rescue to help her. TODAY. Right now.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » December 14th, 2008, 5:40 pm

I completely agree with the above post. Once you took her on, no matter how she got pregnant or whose dog she was previously, she became your responsibility. Please take her somewhere ASAP.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » December 14th, 2008, 6:02 pm

blackdoggy wrote::| Don't blame me this is my idiot sisters fault if it were me I would have taken her to the ASPCA when my sister went to deliver her baby, this woman isn't fit to care for a dog let alone children.

No one is "blaming" you, but you took the dog, so she is now your responsibility regardless of how she got knocked up.

Again, if you are worried about having money to have pre-birth vet care done I can pretty much gaurentee that you will not have the money to properly care for the mother and pups after. That is NOT a slam, just an observation.

You may end up stuck with the mom and puppies for the next 6 months... or more. And they ARE your responsibility now. You didn't bring her to a shelter right off the bat and at this point, for all intensive purposes she is your dog now.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby blackdoggy » December 15th, 2008, 4:09 am

In a few hours I will ask my E vet to euthanize her and be done with it, I didn't want the dog in the first place it needed to be picked up when my sister went in to deliver her child. The local clinic that spays dogs only comes around once or twice month and they need $65 plus another bit for the different shots and there are no safe shelters here only the local pound and ASPCA 20 miles away. Anyway my niece is 9 and mentally handicapped and I will not be the one to tell her I will leave that for her mom. :| Anyhow thanks for confirming my suspicions I was hoping to dispose of this dog to a good home but I guess the ground is good as any.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » December 15th, 2008, 6:11 am

wow.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » December 15th, 2008, 6:31 am

blackdoggy wrote:I was hoping to dispose of this dog to a good home but I guess the ground is good as any.
:mad2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby blackdoggy » December 15th, 2008, 7:02 am

mnp13 wrote:Perhaps I am a cold hearted bitch, but I'd put her down... with the puppies still unborn.

Finding a home for a mother dog and 4 pups (here's hoping it's a small litter) with responsible owners is going to be a HUGE chore, do you have the time and money to do full evaluations on any potential adopters? If you can't afford vet care for her now, how will you afford care for her and the puppies after?

It's very hard to responsibly place pure breeds, mix breeds will be more difficult.

Her chances in a shelter are pretty grim as well.

And I feel the same way about all pregnant dogs in rescue. Do a spay/abort or put the mother down with the puppies still unborn. There are too many dogs out there already, another litter isn't going to help matters.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health