Why would he eat sand?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Natalie » November 8th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Does anyone have any ideas why my dumb dog would want to eat sand? He keeps running out to the sandbox and eating the sand! Oh god, the noise of him trying to chew it makes me shudder!

I checked it for poops (because I know those idiots think poop from other animals is delicious) and I couldn't find anything. He also puked (yes, on the white carpet) today between the 2 times he ate sand.

WHY!!!!! Dogs are so disgusting.
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » November 8th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Gross, and funny.. No idea though :|

Do you know where the sand came from? At the creek mine have always dug, dug, dug in the sand, stick the noses deep into it and dig some more. I figure they are smelling some dead fish, or just different smells of the creek. Maybe the sand smells good, or there is something in there?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » November 8th, 2008, 9:11 pm

I dunno, but it can cause blockages and pretty substantial GI irritation, so, BE CAREFUL! :wink:

We had a Bulldog in who went to the beach and drank a bunch of salt water, and drank a bunch of seaweed and sand, then had GI upset from the salt, sand, and seaweed, and a partial blockage from the sand, he had to have IV fluids, lots of GI protectants, and I believe either a couple enemas and/or laxatives to get rid of a bunch of sand :doh:

Dogs eat stupid sh!t, period. Shards of glass(yes, shards of glass), tylenol (and no, not always the coated variety), expanding wood glue, gloves, underwear, socks, wash cloths, pieces of plastic, whole loaves of bread, etc, etc, etc. Who knows why some of them do it :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BullyLady » November 8th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Because dogs are silly? :| Sorry about the vomit on your white carpet though. I swear, one of my dogs is the same way, if it fits in the mouth EAT IT! :rolleyes2: lol
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Natalie » November 9th, 2008, 10:28 am

Yeah, this is one of those "iron gut" dogs. Once he ate a WHOLE PINT of window glazing, yes the stuff with silica in it. Pooped it right out, the vet was very impressed. He's eaten just about everything else, maybe this is the only thing left in the world that he hasn't tried yet. And it's just regular old sandbox sand, but there could be poops from barn cats or the chickens that I couldn't see.

By the way, he's pooping just fine so far, so I don't think he has any blockage...so far. Ugh, doofus.
Natalie
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health