nails

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitprincess » April 26th, 2006, 8:31 am

The other day I noticed Meesha's back nails were bleeding. At first I though she cut herself during our walk but then I could tell it was her nail. It was super short and I haven't cut them. I started to pay closer attention to this and noticed sometimes on walks I can hear her nails scrap on the ground (like when she is bringing her foot nack to the front she doesn't lift it up high enough) but I can't tell if it is her front or back paws this is happening to. The bleeding thing has not happened in a few weeks but I thought it was strange. This ever happen to anyone else or have ideas..
:|
pitprincess
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 8:49 am

Yes it happened a few weeks ago when Rocky was on concrete area trying to pull to get at a piece of gum. I heard the sound of the claws scraping. Later I noticed bleeding. Turns out his claw was cracked in half real low. did not totally go through. It healed ok thank goodness. My dad told me of one of his friends dogs needed to get the nail surgically removed when this happened to her dog. So keep an eye on the injury. I was also given a suggestion to crazy clue the crack. Which by the time I was given this idea it seemed to be healing well. I am wondering if there is some vitamins to strengthen the nails. So the nails dont split so easily.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » April 26th, 2006, 10:00 am

I haven't had that problem but I can see where it could happen. :(

It might be from being more active since winter is over. Maybe more walking? I know that's the way it is here.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pitprincess » April 26th, 2006, 2:42 pm

no crack just the nail "shaved" down low until it bleed. I'll keep an eye out and it didn't seem to bother her at all. She hates getting her nails trimmed so as long as it isn't a problem it saves us both trouble.
pitprincess
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » April 26th, 2006, 3:23 pm

If they are shaving that low till they bleed on walks, I guess you could carry some styptic just in case. You probably wont have to clip her nails if you are walking her on concrete often. Her nails will probably be nice and low.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health