Heart failure..it sucks

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Violet » October 11th, 2008, 2:19 am

So..my Chihuahua Keto has congestive heart failure. 2 years ago it was a left ventricle heart murmur...now we have been fighting for his life since April when he had a pleural effusion and a diagnosis of bilateral congestive heart failure, grade 6. He is on an ungodly amount of feurosimide right now to battle a sudden edema issue. And was just changed from enalapril to Vetmedin. We have come so close to putting him to sleep and over and over he rallies. Such a little fighter.

2 months ago Keto started retaining fluid in his abdomen. I mean, crazy amounts of fluid. We honestly figure it was again that time. Because he didnt seem quit ready to give in, though, we took him and had him tapped. They removed well over a liter of fluid from my little 12 pound dogs abdomen :sad: He was miserable for a day or so but then was feeling better than he had in weeks.
(he is bandaged because he was leaking fluids)
Except the fluid came right back within two weeks. only now he was getting freaky edema in his rear legs. He looked like he had elephantitis or something.
But dangit..LOOK at that face! I can't give up when he is still trying so hard.

Back to vet..his vet changed his heart med and put him on a crazy dosage of feurosimide. It took four days but we got the edema gone from his legs. And now his belly is ALSO going down!!

We are now starting to step the feurosimide back down because he cannot live forever on the dosage he is at. But..the good news is..Keto PLAYED yesterday!! And so far the edema in his legs is not returning.

I know we are on borrowed time..hell..we are on stolen time. His heart is still failing. But right now..my little man is still fighting. So, so are we.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 11th, 2008, 6:06 am

:hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » October 11th, 2008, 6:09 am

What a little fighter he is! I can't believe how big his belly is, but it definitely doesn't look like he's ready to give up.

Lots of good thoughts are coming his way, Vi. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » October 11th, 2008, 8:29 am

Poor little guy! Good thoughts coming his way!

And I truly think Truman eats more at one meal than Keto weighs...even at his "chubby weight".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Judy » October 11th, 2008, 8:36 am

He does look like such a little fighter, his face says I wanna beat this!

Sorry you have to go through all of this though. :cry:
Due to a forum glitch, I am now 30 years old. :woowoo:
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » October 11th, 2008, 9:05 am

:( Awww poor little guy, I'm sorry.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Patch O' Pits » October 11th, 2008, 9:10 am

I'm so very sorry you both are having such a tough time. What a cute face! Hugs prayers and kisses for that baby!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby madremissy » October 11th, 2008, 10:40 am

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you and your family. He is definitely a little fighter.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » October 11th, 2008, 1:07 pm

There's my nasty grumpy little, last time I was there he actually let me pet him, guy!

He is definitely a fighter and Vi..good for you for continuing to give him what he needs for as long as he's willing to keep fighting.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Malli » October 11th, 2008, 1:41 pm

aw :) sounds like a great quality of life ! I know he'll tell you when he's ready. Until then, its time to SPOIL him! ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » October 11th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Poor baby booboo. :( Tell him I said FLEAS!!!! :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Tiger » October 11th, 2008, 2:17 pm

I am so sorry y'all are going thru this. You will be in my thoughts.

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Violet » October 11th, 2008, 2:18 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Poor baby booboo. :( Tell him I said FLEAS!!!! :wink:

Lol WILL! and he is feeling well enough right now to get pissed about it. lol

With the addition of a foot stool in front of the sofa he can get on the couch again. With al of the edema and the fluid in his belly, jumping had become a complete thing of the past. But now that we are getting it under control, he is doing so much better.

It is so hard to know when to give up. Honestly, back in April, had my vet been opened or had I been able to reach my friend at the e-vet, we would have had him put to sleep. (2 days after the pleural effusion he had a massive seizure..forgot to mention that) but the bugger keeps fighting. He truly is an amazing nasty little dog.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby airwalk » October 11th, 2008, 8:30 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Poor baby booboo. :( Tell him I said FLEAS!!!! :wink:

God I'd forgotten about that.....if he's feeling well enough to get pissed about that...he's feeling pretty good.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Jenn » October 11th, 2008, 9:48 pm

btw your daughter is very pretty, and has a beautiful complexion :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby KJS » October 12th, 2008, 10:35 am

He looks like he could take on the world and its dog still :mrgreen:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health