Nutritious snacks

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Judy » October 8th, 2008, 8:50 pm

So from now on I am only giving Buster nutritious snacks. Preferably easy to grab in the grocery store and fairly cheap (like carrots).

What are some good nutritious fruits and vegetables everyone else's dog likes?
Due to a forum glitch, I am now 30 years old. :woowoo:
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » October 8th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Mine LOVE raw carrots... :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » October 9th, 2008, 4:48 am

apples and strawberries, Oscar LOVES them. Will drool for strawberries like they are bacon.

what else.... broccoli

you could probably bake some high fibre cookies for him... some fruit baked in for flavor.

Ooh, he likes watermelon also

pears would also probably go over well.

I notice that crunchy veggies and fruits are generally a hit.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby nicole » October 9th, 2008, 8:58 am

Just be careful, moderation is key of course! Dogs don't properly digest veggies...you'll notice them in their poop sometimes...and too much can cause some digestive upset, especially broccoli, which has caused some major gas in my dogs, so i avoid it.

I don't really do snacks here, but I've baked my dogs treats and they keep for a while, however its not exactly convenient...only thing I like about that is you are able to control the ingredients. I also like dehydrated meats...I cut them really small and the dogs still see it as high value, even if the treat is tiny, like pinky nail sized! If I'm cutting up fruits and veggies for myself, I will let my dogs have some. They have had broccoli rabe, asparagus, zucchini, apples, pears, bananas, baby carrots, bell peppers...but usually only a taste. Like Malli said, the crunchy stuff seems to go over well.

oh and they LOVE frozen berries. I buy blueberries, raspberries & blackberries already frozen (for myself, not for them :rolleyes2: ) and they are the perfect sized little treat.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2008, 10:16 am

Nutritious in what way? Low fat? Not full of fillers and crap? Good ingredients?

Nicole has a good point, dogs aren't designed to digest veggies...so raw ones aren't going to do too much for them as a treat.

If you're looking for a good cheap biscuit-type treat, Charlee Bears are great for keeping handy for training and just "because".

Otherwise, mine have a taste of many things that I'm eating...apple slices, bananas, cukes, tomatoes, etc.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby nicole » October 9th, 2008, 12:04 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:If you're looking for a good cheap biscuit-type treat, Charlee Bears are great for keeping handy for training and just "because".

oh! charlee bears...good suggestion!! here's the link: http://www.charleebear.com/index.html

I bought the Charlee Bears from Trader Joe's a while back and the bag lasts FOREVER! The treats are so small, and they are simple...basically just liver and flour, I use them as a reward for going into the crate when I'm leaving the house for work.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » October 9th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Oh, yeah. Broccoli dog gas is BAD. :puke:

I give carrots, apples, lettuce, raw potatoes (sweet and "regular"), and pretty much any veggie or fruit we eat, except for corn. That just comes straight back out, looking like it did when it went in. :noWay:

All in moderation, of course.

Oh, and leftover baked beans are NOT a good option. It machine-guns out their hinies.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Marinepits wrote:
I give carrots, apples, lettuce, raw potatoes (sweet and "regular"), and pretty much any veggie or fruit we eat, except for corn. That just comes straight back out, looking like it did when it went in. :noWay:

Makes me think of the joke my brother used to play on younger boy scouts...he'd take them out to a creek while they were primitive camping, and told them to keep their eyes out for the elusive "Yellow-eyed Brown Trout".

:puke:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Marinepits » October 9th, 2008, 2:31 pm

LMAO
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Vertigo » October 9th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Most poeple don't know this but thick sliced hickory bacon is a fruit.
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BullyLady » October 9th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Marinepits wrote:Oh, yeah. Broccoli dog gas is BAD. :puke:

All in moderation, of course.

Oh, and leftover baked beans are NOT a good option. It machine-guns out their hinies.

Really?? Raw potatoes, and they like that? Do potatoes have any nutritional value?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby TheRedQueen » October 9th, 2008, 11:53 pm

I had heard that the raw potato skins were bad...for us and for dogs...true/false? Do you skin them first?

My guys prefer mashed with butter. ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » October 10th, 2008, 4:49 am

TheRedQueen wrote:My guys prefer mashed with butter. ;)

shock of all shocks :lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » October 10th, 2008, 8:29 am

I've always heard that the skin of the potatoes has the majority of the nutrients. We always eat the potato skins and so do the dogs.

Lots of good info here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=48

.....The potato skin is a concentrated source of dietary fiber, so to get the most nutritional value from this vegetable, don't peel it and consume both the flesh and the skin. Just scrub the potato under cold running water right before cooking and then remove any deep eyes or bruises with a paring knife. If you must peel it, do so carefully with a vegetable peeler, only removing a thin layer of the skin and therefore retaining the nutrients that lie just below the skin.....

Katy is the only one who won't eat raw potatoes. She kind of chews them then spits out the drooly mess on the floor. The other dogs LOVE them, especially the Yukon Gold variety.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Judy » October 10th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Marinepits wrote:Oh, and leftover baked beans are NOT a good option. It machine-guns out their hinies.

:lol3:

Thanks for the suggestions and links everyone, I'll check them out.
Due to a forum glitch, I am now 30 years old. :woowoo:
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » October 10th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Marinepits wrote:I've always heard that the skin of the potatoes has the majority of the nutrients. We always eat the potato skins and so do the dogs.

Lots of good info here: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=48

.....The potato skin is a concentrated source of dietary fiber, so to get the most nutritional value from this vegetable, don't peel it and consume both the flesh and the skin. Just scrub the potato under cold running water right before cooking and then remove any deep eyes or bruises with a paring knife. If you must peel it, do so carefully with a vegetable peeler, only removing a thin layer of the skin and therefore retaining the nutrients that lie just below the skin.....

Katy is the only one who won't eat raw potatoes. She kind of chews them then spits out the drooly mess on the floor. The other dogs LOVE them, especially the Yukon Gold variety.

Yes, the skin is good, but cooked skin...not raw. That's what I've heard...I'll see what I can google. ;)

My guys just got sweet potato skins tonight (I hate 'em)...they love 'em.

ETA...found this saying that the nutrients are in the potato, the fiber is in the skin...
http://www.potatoes.com/Nutrition.cfm

And found it...on the ASPCA's list of unsafe foods...it's actually green potato skins...
http://www.doggiebistro.com/Common_Food ... _Dogs.html

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp95.htm

TheRedQueen

Postby Marinepits » October 11th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I grew up in Northern Maine and we were raised on potatoes. We've eaten them raw straight out of the fields and we've never gotten sick from them. Nor have the dogs. :|

Green potatoes just taste gross, so I wouldn't eat them anyway. And if I won't eat something, I won't give it to my dogs.

Quick vet story -- there were two English Bulldogs who got into a cabinet and ate an entire 5 pound bag of potatoes, paper bag and all. By the time the owners got home from work and found them, they had blown up to twice their size and the vet tried to make them vomit. They yakked up some of the potatoes, but ended up having some major diarrhea. Poor dogs, LOL. I wish I had pics of them when they rolled into the office. :giggle:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby sillysally » October 12th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Both of my dogs *love* apples and bananas.......

ETA: And blueberries! We are able to hide Sally's allergy pill in blueberries.....
sillysally
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health