bald spots

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 12:50 pm

As you know, Riggs and Connor are on crate-n-rotate so they both get more crate time than the "average" dog. I'm showing Riggs in three weeks and he has bald spots about the size of nickels on each elbow. They have a small amount of callus but it's mostly just smooth skin, not overly red or sore looking, but definatey redder than the rest of his skin. They don't look "nasty" or even particularly "bad"

I've been putting vitamin E oil on them twice a day, and they are getting paler, but I really want them completely faded and ideally to have at least some hair started.

Any thoughts? He's on as little crate time as possible so that he will hopefully lay in different positions, though he is in the tiger cage so he can stretch out fully anyway.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » September 19th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Rogaine. :neener:

Actually... I got nothing. :oops:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 1:04 pm

I just found this:

http://showdogs-l.com/recipes.htm

Growing Hair on a Doorknob
"This recipe is in The Quincy Kennel Club's cookbook and was submitted by Virginia Knocke!"

1 lb. Peanut Butter
1 lb. honey
1 lb. diaglo (powder) or Mirra coat
1 pt. Lavitamin also known as Lixotinic (Can be found at http://www.kvvet.com/)

Have peanut butter at room temperature. Mix all ingredients together This will be very thick and sticky. Stores indefinitely in refrigerator. Make into balls according to size of the dog.

Small dogs should get 1-3 teaspoons daily,
Large dogs should get 1-2 tablespoons daily.

Guaranteed to grow hair-- even on doorknobs. If you can get the doorknobs to eat and digest this--it will grow hair!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » September 19th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Interesting...

Sawyer has a callous on one elbow...not sure why, as he lies on the couch most of the time. :|

I might have to try this...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » September 19th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Growing Hair on a Doorknob :shock: :o

This one wanted to be a redhead. :| :neutral:

amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 2:16 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Interesting...

Sawyer has a callous on one elbow...not sure why, as he lies on the couch most of the time. :|

I might have to try this...

I'm picking up the ingredients today. You're going to vomit when you see the price on Lixotonic, but considering how much Nationals costs, I might as well have him looking his best!

And Christine you are weird. Very funny, but weird.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » September 19th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Michelle I'll be interested to know how it works. Buddah has some of those same spots. I don't show her but I'd like to have those NOT be there ya know?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby TheRedQueen » September 19th, 2008, 2:38 pm

mnp13 wrote:I'm picking up the ingredients today. You're going to vomit when you see the price on Lixotonic,

*gulp*

Nevermind...he can keep on having a bald elbow... :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » September 19th, 2008, 3:33 pm

will he sleep on a crate pad?

When we have animals with bed sores turned into infections (they are not even close to the same thing, but eventually calluses can turn into sores, wich can turn into infections), we give them lots of padding. Its like "standard treatment".
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I have well over an inch of padding with two queen sizes blankets in there as well.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » September 19th, 2008, 6:02 pm

1 pt. Lavitamin also known as Lixotinic (Can be found at http://www.kvvet.com/)

Just want you to know that this is what I read to you, in case my weirdness came through loud and clear... no idea you meant t-o-n-i-c. :oops: LMAO
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 6:09 pm

I just made a batch. It smells and looks kinda like cookie dough.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » September 19th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Save some of that stuff for me. I'm starting to thin a bit on top and could use it more than Riggs can
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 8:58 pm

Mystery solved...

I was paying close attention to him upstairs. He has always done a creeping / spinning down, and he drags his elbows when he does that.

I still want the spots gone though!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 19th, 2008, 9:39 pm

mnp13 wrote:I have well over an inch of padding with two queen sizes blankets in there as well.

sorry, I hadn't meant to offend.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » September 19th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Malli wrote:
mnp13 wrote:I have well over an inch of padding with two queen sizes blankets in there as well.

sorry, I hadn't meant to offend.

You didn't offend me, I was just telling you what was in the crate. I'm sorry if I came off rudely. I didn't think the question was anything out of the norm.

Ruby has almost nothing in her crate because she shreds everything. She doesn't have an bald patches though.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » September 19th, 2008, 9:57 pm

alright, no harm done then :)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby StalkerBlueDog » September 21st, 2008, 10:30 pm

The hair on a doorknob receipe is meant for all around hair growth.. and usually takes a few months to take effect ( based on hair growth in general) so I don't think it's going to work for Riggs..But for future reference If you're looking to grow hair in general Inflight Coat Suppliment is a great product- http://inflightcoatformula.com/ We've seen great results in rescue dogs trying to grow back hair because of horrible circumstances, as well as in show dogs that need to hold onto coat before specialties.

BTW- Our lab had the elbow issues.. vasoline worked wonders for her.
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby LaylaWoobie » September 21st, 2008, 10:33 pm

the stuff Riggs is using tastes like Peanut Butter PowerBars

I'm not ashamed to say I ate some. It was pretty damn good.
LaylaWoobie
Full of Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health